Severe ivory restrictions coming.....and it *will* hurt

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Severe ivory restrictions coming.....and it *will* hurt

Post by oleorezinator »

Ah delrin, from the regions which are holy land.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Just ordered some ivory, so I can stock up before the ban... :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

This is an email an American friend sent me on Sunday about US Customs' treatment of bamboo flutes recently. Book burning next?

"This was my life," said musician Boujemaa Razgui in December, referring to the 13 handmade flutes that he played professionally, "and now they'e gone." Arriving in New York City from Madrid with the 13 woodwinds in his checked luggage, he was shocked to discover that US Customs had destroyed them without notice because "wood" is a restricted "agricultural" import. Unsophisticated agents had apparently regarded them as mere bamboo. Razgui plays all over the world, including, since 2002, with the Boston Camerata ensemble staged by the city's Museum of Fine Arts."

Best wishes,

Keith.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

keithsandra wrote:This is an email an American friend sent me on Sunday about US Customs' treatment of bamboo flutes recently. Book burning next?
Yes, Keith, we discussed this at the time, here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=96393

The man made a number of stupid mistakes, including bundling illegal raw bamboo with his finished flutes, not securing any documentation, and not hand-carrying his precious instruments. There's a cautionary tale here, but it's not the hysterical one ("book burning") that some people are trying to spin.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I guess my idea of making flute cases from baby elephant trunks isn't gonna get well received.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

That's different.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Aanvil wrote:I guess my idea of making flute cases from baby elephant trunks isn't gonna get well received.
Jayz, how long are your flutes?

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The plan is to get three or more cases from one trunk.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

MTGuru wrote:
Aanvil wrote:I guess my idea of making flute cases from baby elephant trunks isn't gonna get well received.
Jayz, how long are your flutes?

Umm.... I'm somewhat proud yet too embarrassed to say.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

"...malevolence ... what can be explained by sheer stupidity - and in this case, pitifully poor training, and perhaps, sadly, ethnic prejudice."

John, these are from your words in the topic you referenced me (which I hadn't seen; thank you).

I think "... malevolence ... and pitifully poor training and perhaps, sadly ethnic prejudice" are just some of the mentalities behind all such examples of "book" or any other kind of destruction like this one. Maybe it's a classifiable syndrome, and in this case not one from an ancient Chinese dynasty or Nazism, but here and now, alive and well and living in America.

Call my indignation hysterical if you think it properly describes my reaction, but I know you wont mind me reminding you of the quote, "Freedom is lost when good men remain silent."

However, I do appreciate your other more thoughtful sentiments on the subject in general and on this case in particular, and support your ideas to back up our music colleagues in any action they take.

All the best,

Keith.
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Severe bamboo destructions .....*will* hurt

Post by Ben Steen »

"The man made a number of stupid mistakes, including bundling illegal raw bamboo with his finished flutes, not securing any documentation, and not hand-carrying his precious instruments."

Was the unfinished bamboo illegal?
Exactly which documentation is required for bamboo flutes?
'Not hand-carrying . . . ' at least some of his flutes; yeah that was short-sighted.
MTGuru

Re: Severe bamboo destructions .....*will* hurt

Post by MTGuru »

Ben Steen wrote:Was the unfinished bamboo illegal?
Yes, apparently so.
Ben Steen wrote:Exactly which documentation is required for bamboo flutes?
None for the finished flutes, I think. I didn't say there was. The raw cane would have been a different story. I'd think accompanying documentation that the cane had been dried or prepared in such a way as to render it not an agricultural threat, if that was indeed the case, would have prevented confiscation if it had been hand-carried through customs.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

keithsandra wrote:Call my indignation hysterical if you think it properly describes my reaction, but I know you wont mind me reminding you of the quote, "Freedom is lost when good men remain silent."
I think you just need to take step back, Keith. Equating Nazi book burning with barring the importation of dangerous agricultural products and invasive species, or with curtailing destruction of the rainforests and extinction of endangered animals is, you know, just silly. Unless the freedom in question is the freedom to wreak agricultural and ecological havoc.

The devil is in the implementation. My concern, as for others, is that bureaucracies are ill-equipped to enforce well-meaning regulations in such a way as to accommodate the legitimate needs of traveling musicians. The filing fees alone for documentation and the testing fees for certification can run to hundreds of dollars per instrument. It's a burden that a casual musician like myself would never be able to afford.

mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

This is wandering off topic, but for general information if you tried to enter Australia with a wooden flute it would highly possible it would to be seized and you'd have to pay for it to be sent back home.
Signs of 'bark or insect infestation' on commercially-manufactured instruments will guarantee this happens.
Ben Steen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Correction ~ Boujemaa Razgui makes & plays reed flutes

Post by Ben Steen »

Sorry for posting earlier they were bamboo. I was mistaken.

"Just for starters, ney and kawala flutes are generally not made from bamboo - the traditional material is Arundo donax ("Giant reed" and many other names), which doesn't even belong to the same family. It's a member of the Poaceae (grasses/reeds) not the Bambusoidaceae (bamboos)." > > http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/0 ... oes-Viral#

It took myself a bit of time reviewing the many reports to realize my initial mistake. I'm guessing the lot of you knew they weren't bamboo much sooner than me; & since none of you are employed by Customs & Border Protection in the United States you shouldn't have any cause to admit how long it took you to recognize there never was any bamboo at all.

Fair enough, gents ; )
Last edited by Ben Steen on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.