Boosey & Co 8 key cocus flute for sale(soon!)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
moriarty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Boosey & Co 8 key cocus flute for sale(soon!)

Post by moriarty »

Hi

This may be of interest to some here

See my recent post on the Facebook 'Flute History Channel' for more details - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1559397 ... 6/?fref=ts

Should be ready fairly soon.More details to follow. Price £1250.

Thanks!

Damian

Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Boosey & Co 8 key cocus flute for sale(soon!)

Post by Holmes »

I don't have anything constructive to say other than it would be good to have a posting from Moriarty answered by Holmes!
The flute looks excellent, I've seen one similar recently and posted some photographs. I presume this is a conical flute rather than cylindrical? Good luck with the sale of this.

Best regards

Holmes
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Indeed, Norm! I thought the same!

Well played, Holmes!
deisman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

A period piece all-around
I'm on it...
dontf

Post by dontf »

It looks yummy. Maybe it's time for that Eb flute......
huffin' and puffin'
moriarty

Post by moriarty »

Hi All,

An update & some details on this flute..Boosey & Co cocuswood flute in D dating from from around 1895 with 8 nickel (german silver) keys & tuning slide for sale.I am currently on the Newark on Trent woodwind making & repair course & myself & a fellow student have spent many hours on this restoration,completely stripping this flute down and cleaning & polishing every single part (including unseen parts such as the rod screws & inside the key cups!).It has been totally repadded,recorked & had springs replaced where necessary.A new stopper cork has also been fitted.There are three hairline cracks which require repair that I hope to attend to within the next week or two.One in the headjoint (about 2-3" long,nowhere near the embouchure),small one in top of footjoint (less than 1")& one in the barrel that unfortunately appeared as we carried out the overhaul,I think possibly a combination of removing the ferrules to clean them & the heat in the workshop was the probable cause.I can supply pictures to any interested parties of before & after work on these if required.The slide does need extending quite a bit (sometimes up to around 1") to play in modern pitch.Having said that,I have owned & played this flute in sessions for about 15 years very happily.Yes,it is conical Holmes,I know only too well nothing gets past my arch enemy.. :D

Damian
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

moriarty wrote:removing the ferrules to clean them - Damian
Removing ferrules to clean them! what sort of woodwind repair course are you doing?

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Holmes wrote:I don't have anything constructive to say other than it would be good to have a posting from Moriarty answered by Holmes!
I keep hoping that Glenn Watson would check in...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.