Mineral Oil?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Mineral Oil?

Post by MTGuru »

Lately I've been using a light food-grade mineral oil to oil my kitchen cutting boards and some other unfinished wood things. This one:

Just wondering if this would also be a good instrument oil, since it's readily available and easy to work with. More a theoretical question, as I don't have any instruments that need oiling at the moment.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Mineral Oil?

Post by Kirk B »

AFAIK the Yamaha bore oil that I use on my flute is mineral oil. I guess it depends on what minerals are in it but I can't imagine that it would be much different.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I'd like to bring up a couple of points to consider. Bore oils are made for instruments that typically have mouth pieces not made of wood, and typically not oiled. Some bore oils, particularly petroleum based ones can be pretty yucky. Most so called mineral oils are petroleum based. The other thing to consider about any oil is its ability to act as a solvent. A lot of the woods that are used for flutes are high in resins, oils, and terpenes. These are usually noted when you have a reaction to them on contact. Loren in particular has this problem with tropical hardwoods, notably Blackwood and Cocus, both high in terpenes.
My point is this: caution is advisable whenever using any oil, particularly anything 'new' to you and your flute. I like to test an oil on my skin independently first. Then to try it on the wood of my instrument in contact with some non-essential patch of skin. Obviously your mucosa are even more sensitive.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Most so called mineral oils are petroleum based
... I have a slight problem with this statement, (though I appreciate the "so called" caveat). Surely petroleum comes from fossilised plant material and should be considered "non-mineral", for want of a better term, whereas "true" mineral oil would be silicon-based or similar.

Just my tuppence worth, whilst in a nit-picking mood :wink:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thanks Bob. I'm sure that info is of general interest, but I'm not sure it helps answer my question whether this particular oil is instrument-suitable compared to almond oil or others I've used; or whether anyone else has used this Howard's oil or equivalent.

The MSDS lists the ingredients as 100% white mineral oil and < 1% Vitamin E. I've slathered it all over my hands and arms (and probably lips, inadvertently) in the process of oiling cutting boards and utensils, with no ill effects - as I'd expect from an FDA approved food-grade oil. As for the woods - in my case recorders, not flutes - I've been playing some of these instruments for 40+ years, so I think I'd know by now if I had any contact allergies.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Kypfer wrote:Surely petroleum comes from fossilised plant material and should be considered "non-mineral"
Yeah, I naively want to picture squeezing a rock and extracting the juice. Shale oil, maybe, but I don't think it works that way. :wink:

Apparently the Brits insist on calling it "Paraffinum perliquidum". Well lah di dah, picky picky. :P

Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Apparently the Brits insist on calling it "Paraffinum perliquidum". Well lah di dah, picky picky. :P
Apparently you've been misinformed, never heard it called that - paraffin oil or liquid paraffin yes paraffinum perliquidum not everyday useage.

"Well lah di dah, picky picky" is that more latin? :wink:
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

The latin on the contents lists may have something to do with us also using 'paraffin' for kerosene.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

JohnB wrote:
Apparently the Brits insist on calling it "Paraffinum perliquidum".
Apparently you've been misinformed, never heard it called that - paraffin oil or liquid paraffin yes paraffinum perliquidum not everyday useage.
Apparently, by Wikipedia. To be fair, the reference is to British pharmacologists. And who knows what they've been ingesting.
JohnB wrote:"Well lah di dah, picky picky" is that more latin? :wink:
I believe it's French. The proper spelling would be L'Adidas, pique-y pique-y, meaning approximately "The shoe, stick it there, stick it there!"

:lol:

Gordon

Post by Gordon »

FWIW, most commercial lip balms are petroleum based and, to my knowledge, there's no evidence of negative side effects using it. In fact, pure petroleum jelly is often cited as being a cheaper and safer lip balm than the sticks, which often include other additives that might be less safe.

Selmer Bore Oil says it contains "non-toxic" mineral oil; most oils called mineral oil are, unless ingested in huge quantities, I suppose. I think the Selmer oil makes a pretty decent bore oil, though I don't personally oil my flutes very often, in any case. So, IMO, if the mineral oil you're using for a cutting board is 100% mineral oil (no added chemicals that might change the equation), there really shouldn't be a toxicity problem.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Well, it's made like other oils, by compressing the substrate and forcing out the oil. Butcher block oil is likely only to be made from poorer quality minerals, whereas flute oil is likely to be made from a 60% granite, 30% fine marble, and 10% unrefined emeralds. Speaking, of which, I need to go pick up some baby oil...
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

an seanduine wrote:I'd like to bring up a couple of points to consider. Bore oils are made for instruments that typically have mouth pieces not made of wood, and typically not oiled.

Bob
I don't oil the outside of the head joint (nor the rest of the flute). I do oil in inside of the head joint since it's not fully lined. I've never had a problem with the bore oil yet. In other words, I'm still alive :) And I oil frequently.

Kirk
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Butcher block oil is likely only to be made from poorer quality minerals, whereas flute oil is likely to be made from a 60% granite, 30% fine marble, and 10% unrefined emeralds.
Finally, an answer that makes sense! I happens that my garden has many more rocks than dirt. So when I run out of this stuff, I'm going to squeeze my own fresh oil. Probably put the rocks through the blender first, to make things easier. I'll let you know how that works out.

RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Mineral oil makes a fine oil for flutes.....but the *type* is what's at issue.

I used mineral oil for many years on the grenadilla wood fifes I grew up playing.

The grade is pharmaceutical, not food-grade.

The issue is rancidity, or the oil actually spoiling or going bad. Same with almond oil.

Pharmaceutical grade is that which is not intended to be ingested.. On your fingers and lips isn't a problem. Wholesale ingesting it would be.

So....I have a mineral oil "tank" at home (it's actually a Tupperware for a loaf of bread) in which i submerge my flutes (sans keys of course) for a couple days, stand dry them and then buff dry any excess. Perfect for boxwood. Cocus holds it very nicely too.

I use almond oil on my flutes as the regular oiling, mineral oil as the once-a-year treatment (typically early/late fall, before the drying winter spell).

Hope that helps!

dm
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

RudallRose wrote:Hope that helps!
Yes it does, David. Thank you very much!