Tuning

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gobae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tuning

Post by Gobae »

I've got a Folk Flute so I know my tuning options are limited. However, D is so flat it almost registers as C#. d (second octave) is pretty close to being right on so any variation I can easily believe is due to my embouchure. The third octave (when I can get that high) is all sharp.

Now, a couple of other things for consideration. Although I've gotten much better, I am still working on embouchure so I suppose it could just be me. Also, the plug in the head joint did get knocked out of place a while back. But I moved it back in place according to Casey's recommended measurements.

So, what is the best course of action to get my Folk Flute in tune?
Gobae - The Blacksmith
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Tuning

Post by plunk111 »

Lots of flutes have the lowest D slightly flat so you can "honk" it into tune (although, I can't remember if FFs are that way), so I suspect the quick answer to your question is" "practice". That would probably cure the upper octave, too, but... How long have you been playing? If you are experienced, it could be (slight chance) caused by the cork. If it's leaking or moving easily, you have a problem. I played a FF once that had a REAL bad cork - it moved way to freely. If you were able to knock it out of position relatively easily, I'd recommend replacing it. They are easy to replace - just use a wine bottle cork cut in half. If it's too big, just sand it down a tiny bit. Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Gobae

Post by Gobae »

plunk111 wrote:Lots of flutes have the lowest D slightly flat so you can "honk" it into tune
Well, this D is a bit more than slightly flat; it's in the C# range.
, so I suspect the quick answer to your question is" "practice". That would probably cure the upper octave, too, but... How long have you been playing?
Well I've been playing for a year or so and this particular issue has persisted despite other improvements. In fact, I just went through the scale and I'm getting pretty close on the rest of the 1st and second octaves. Not perfect of course, but close enough that I can tell it's me and not the flute at least. So, I don't know if I'm missing some magic trick or if it is a flute issue. But just playing around with embouchure while watching the tuner shows I start out at a +40 cent C# and can only get to -30 cent before the D jumps to d.
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Best to contact me by email - I can brighten up and adjust the tuning for you.

Casey
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

It is always better to contact the maker first since they know more about what to do than the general public. Advice I would reserve for makers that are either dead or unresponsive.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Casey is neither.
Gobae

Post by Gobae »

kmag wrote:It is always better to contact the maker first since they know more about what to do than the general public.
As I explained to Casey in my followup email, I was loath to contact him first since I figured it could still be a experience/embouchure issue on my end. I certainly wouldn't want to waste his time on something like that. The "general public" however has plenty of time to waste on my flute problems :)
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

[quote="Gobae] The "general public" however has plenty of time to waste on my flute problems :)[/quote]

No, we don't! I'm in the middle of complex neurological surgery as I type this!

@#%!! - Lost another one!
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

Hi,

May I ask how flat( in cents )is a desirable flatness for a flute?

I once bought a David Angus Practice Flute (Cylindrical aluminum with PVC head), and thought at first that it is really a useless flute for its tuning. I set it aside first and wondered if it is the embouchure depth of the flute or is it me.

I bought a Dixon Cylindrical Polymer next and low notes jump out of the box, higher notes are hard to tame and noticeably flat just by listening.
I was wondering if again it is me or the flute.

I almost gave up on flute till I met a second hand, cheaper Tipple flute. It is louder and has a smaller embouchure. It is easy to honk and easy to control, and the tuning is on-spot and no need to put a push on the D note. After about year and a half, I developed prominent facial muscles and dimples, and the coughing reflex vanished. I then decided to check out on the Dixon and the Angus that I had set aside for

Dixon which embouchure is wider about 1 and a half of Tipple's embo became easier. Still it was flat on the second octave. Adding the Tipple wedge on the Dixon flute made the tuning on-spot. Except the 3rd Octave D which is sharp by 15 cents at any manipulation or breath adjustment..

After reading this post, I checked out the Angus again. It is an E flute so checking the B and A (A or G of a D flute) on the first octave, made all the notes Except the E in tune. E is flat by 30 cents. Second Octave is terribly flat, but after putting the Tipple wedge the octaves became narower and on-spot under good control. That is on the majority except all the E's, which is consistently flat.

I noticed also that all the hole spacing is similar to my Dixon E but the end part towards the bell note has a longer extension about an inch and a half.

I guess this is what makes the bell notes too flat.

My question is if I cut this long extention I know it will sharpen the E. But what about the alignment of the other notes that are already in tune?

Edited for some autocorrect adjustments.
Question was added as well.
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”