Self Taught, Folk Players...Advice?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
GreySatyr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Self Taught, Folk Players...Advice?

Post by GreySatyr »

Self taught! The words that Im sure will make many of you cringe...

Yes, I must admit that my goal is to be a self taught folk musician. I'm curious, how many more of you are prowling this forum? The reason I ask is that I would like your advice. I'm wondering how and what you would practice if you could start your entire musical journey all over again? What would you do or not do and what would you change? How I can I avoid the problems that may have plagued you? What sort of things should I be working on that will make me a better player in the long run?

I am a complete beginner and so far I've only been practicing my embouchure, tone production, breath control, and my long notes. Im also listening to my fair share of flute players on youtube. So I think I'm on the right track but give me your thoughts please.

Some things you may need to know, I'm playing a simple system "Irish" flute in the key of D. I also started playing the whistle around the same time so I know the fingerings. I do not have the cash or resources to procure a good teacher (No, I will not! Do not suggest it, if I could I definitely would).

Your advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Self Taught, Folk Players...Advice?

Post by NicoMoreno »

Even with the resources available from the internet, I don't really believe you can learn traditional irish music in isolation. My first advice would be to get a teacher. I'm not really sure how you can afford a good flute and not have a tiny bit of funds available for lessons, but since you say you can't, then at least find a session to attend. Depending on where you live, this may be your only option for free music...

Anyway, you say folk musician, so perhaps not irish traditional music, in which case the above doesn't necessarily apply. I do think a lesson, even one every month (or more) is important, but good luck anyway.
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

Listen to the music you’d like to play, a lot. Get amazing slowdowner or a similar program, and try to play along with it. There are quite a few good tutorials out that can help. This site is excellent for someone just beginning the Irish flute.http://www.firescribble.net/flute/index.html

Welcome to the journey!
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

One suggestion in lieu of regular lessons: you might think about one of the gatherings/workshops such as Augusta Irish Week (in Elkins, WV), or Catskills, or Swannanoa. My personal fave is Augusta, but just 'cause it's close.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
GreySatyr

Post by GreySatyr »

NicoMoreno wrote:Even with the resources available from the internet, I don't really believe you can learn traditional irish music in isolation. My first advice would be to get a teacher. I'm not really sure how you can afford a good flute and not have a tiny bit of funds available for lessons, but since you say you can't, then at least find a session to attend. Depending on where you live, this may be your only option for free music...

Anyway, you say folk musician, so perhaps not irish traditional music, in which case the above doesn't necessarily apply. I do think a lesson, even one every month (or more) is important, but good luck anyway.
I'm planning on attending Irish traditional sessions and hopefully getting some advice but as of now I can't go because my funds don't support it and I'm basically asking for advice which is similar to a lesson because ultimately your individual self is the one that teaches you. You just take information from other people and apply it.

Also, the flute was a gift and its not an expensive one. Probably something you'd frown at.

On the bright side of all this doubt that I'm getting from people on the Internet, I made a big improvement in my embouchure today...I think it's possible to become a decent player on your own but I don't know much but I'm absolutely sure it's possible because most things are.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I don't really know why you'd think I'd frown at a gift or inexpensive flute. I started on a gift flute myself.

Listen a ton, read all you can, and practice as much as you can. But at some point you need feedback to point out where you're making mistakes you don't know about, where you should focus effort to improve, hear things you don't yet hear, etc, etc. This doesn't *have* to be a lesson, but it's got to be the most efficient way. Sessions, concerts, or other live music are better than recordings or videos because you hear things that may be obscured or changed in the recording process (reverb for instance), but listen to as much as you can, of the style you love best.
GreySatyr

Post by GreySatyr »

I didn't mean to sound as if I was insinuating that you'd frown at it personally but that in general I find that a lot of guys would. Most folks don't hold inexpensive instruments in high regards. I also find that most don't like the idea of being self taught and that most don't like the idea of someone playing multiple instruments.

In every one of those cases I am guilty, haha. I understand the flaws and limitations of being self taught, being a multi instrumentalist and cheap instruments but I'm not going to deny myself simple musical pleasures because of a budget or someones opinions. everyone is different. I'm also a fast learner, very passionate and willing to take the road less travelled.

I'm rambling, sorry. Haha.

I do plan on playing Irish trad music along with a unique style of music that really doesn't have a name yet. It's a big movement in Europe and although I don't live there I am loving its style and its actually what influenced me to play flute.
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

Well, people frown at cheap instruments because they will hold you back, eventually (except for whistles, which are an interesting exception, in that the cheap ones often make you a better player...), but I've never known someone to frown at someone because they can't afford better. Just don't be thinking that more expensive ones are snobbish, elitist, or some nonsense. Get the very best instrument you can afford, period.

I honestly don't think there exists a great musician out there who was "self-taught" in isolation. I know for irish traditional music, a regular "return to the well" (ie community with other great players) is needed. The only way someone might frown at a "self-taught" musician is because they'd be disappointed that the musician wasn't acknowledging his or her influences, teachers, or community, or more likely because the "self-taught" musician was actually really bad and arrogant, because since they'd avoided the community, they didn't know what they were doing wrong, or something like that anyway.

As far as playing multiple instruments, I've never heard that frowned upon, but it certainly is a lot of work to learn more than one at once. That said, all of the great traditional musicians I know can play more than one instrument. FWIW.

Where are you located?
GreySatyr

Post by GreySatyr »

I don't, I appreciate valuable instruments. Wish I could have bought one actually but thought I better ask for something lower end until I feel like I deserve something else.

No, I'm definitely going to be visiting some sessions and hanging around other musicians if I can. I personally think that's one of the key features of being self taught, playing with others, watching others and learning from others advice. You still consider yourself self taught at that point, at least I do. I don't plan on isolating myself if I can find a session nearby.

I think that it's best to play many different instruments but that's just my opinion and obviously if you're a classical music enthusiast that probably wouldn't apply to you because you'd have to be more focused on playing one at a master level. I just want to enjoy music. :lol:
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Do yourself a favor and get a couple of lessons before you develop bad habits that will last a lifetime.

Rob
Last edited by Rob Sharer on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

My prediction is that if you don't find a session you can attend regularly, you'll soon tire of trying to learn in isolation. You may even outgrow your current fascination with Irish traditional music. (Nothing wrong with that, but it's best to be honest with yourself at the start).

If you do start attending a session regularly, your abilities will increase exponentially through a combination of osmosis, hard work and magic. On top of that, you'll find companionship among kindred spirits. (Both priceless outcomes).

There are a few really good tutorial packages out there, and I'm not discouraging that route. But they're no substitute for a good, regular session. Where are you?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
GreySatyr

Post by GreySatyr »

I tried to quote Rob but it wouldn't quote him strangely enough.
This post is for you, Rob.

Don't we all like things our way?

And I said it that way for a reason, I stated that I can't afford lessons and cant afford the gas to get there so there would be no point in telling to me get lessons. Why insist on something that can't be accomplished at this moment in time? I appreciate you taking time to reply at all, I really do but I have stated that I can't therefore I won't.
GreySatyr

Post by GreySatyr »

Crooked tune, I'm planning on appearing at sessions if possible. Self taught doesn't necessarily mean learning everything inisolation or by yourself...

It typically means or at least to me it means to learn without a designated teacher whether it be from books, advice, watching others or whatever. It's from a combination of things and music is very social, I don't intend on sitting around by myself all the time, ha.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

I'm wondering how and what you would practice if you could start your entire musical journey all over again? What would you do or not do and what would you change? How I can I avoid the problems that may have plagued you?
... I'd practice "the basics" ... a lot ... and spend more time with COMPETENT players who'd at least be able to point out that I might be able to do something better "another way", rather than just with those of my own standard, learning bad habits from each other :oops:

... and I'd learn to read music, at least well enough to figure out a tune "from the page". I've learnt more tunes in the last three years since I learnt to read than I did in the previous forty from trying to copy what other people were doing ... though that's a good skill to have as well :wink:

My experience doesn't necessarily relate to the flute, but I'm sure the principles hold true. I've got so many "bad habits" on the guitar that my "style" has been described as "almost uncopyable" ... and I don't think that was meant as a compliment :oops:

Above all ... enjoy :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
GreySatyr

Post by GreySatyr »

Thanks, man.

I intend to take flute very slowly and just build up and up and up over the years. I also play guitar and I rushed into that so I know just how easy to take it. Thankfully I played with folks who are much better than me and so far I've avoided most bad habits.

I intend to learn how to read music after I get fairly decent at learning by ear. I think that they're both highly invaluable skills but I personally think ear training should come first.

Again, thanks for your contributions.