6 keyed D flute made by Michel Bonamy

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gweniz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

6 keyed D flute made by Michel Bonamy

Post by Gweniz »

Hello! I'm selling my beautiful 6 keyed D flute made by Michel Bonamy. I'm selling it in order to buy another instrument.
6 keys: Eb, 2 keys F, G#,Bb, C. All keys & rings in sterling silver. keys light, ergonomic, robust. excellent condition. new corks. Pratten type. Beautiful design and very good sound: warm, powerful and a bit breathy! :thumbsup:
1800E Firm Price.

jim stone

Re: 6 keyed D flute made by Michel Bonamy

Post by jim stone »

Will you tell us more about the maker? And how do the keys work?
Gweniz

Post by Gweniz »

Michel Bonamy is a breton flutemaker, who learned making flutes with Martin Doyle & Eugène Lambe during 20 years. He moved for a few years in Oslo and finally returned in Britany the lasts years. More information here: http://michelbonamy.free.fr/
He's a great player, you can also heard him on guest on few discs like this one: https://myspace.com/talarlegroupe/music ... 4-90016110

the keys works very simple, as usual, it's just esthetic , a bit 'futurist' maybe? :P keys are very light, in silver.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you. Is there a tuning slide?
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the keys works very simple, as usual, it's just esthetic , a bit 'futurist' maybe? :P keys are very light, in silver.
It's maybe a reaction to the keywork on the flute he played himself (during the eighties anyway), a flute by a 19th century Viennese maker, Ziegler. That was elaborately keyed, to say the least.
My brain hurts

Gweniz

Post by Gweniz »

yes, the tuning slide is different too: the head in the body of the flute. It's a different system, simple & works very good. I made this video today : http://youtu.be/F7M9qRv7LJI
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Interesting long and short touch solution using one hole for the F, there. Don't think I've seen that before. Seems very sensible. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I assume you did your video into a mirror - you might want to mention that...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Interesting long and short touch solution using one hole for the F, there. Don't think I've seen that before.
See Rick Wilson's site for some early 19th century examples, with some other modern makers also doing it (Hans Bracker's Dominic Allan flute is set up this way).

Top/bottom (boxwood) flute by W. Liebel (Dresden, c.1825)

Top (boxwood) flute = copy of H. Grenser (Dresden, c.1800) by Folkers & Powell

Tabard (Lyon, c.1825)

A. F. Piering (Berlin, c.1815–20)

Dominic Allan

(Post edited to show more photos and add links/captions. Hans also has another good reverse-side photo I didn't include because it's quite a lot wider.)
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Gweniz

Post by Gweniz »

plunk111 wrote:I assume you did your video into a mirror - you might want to mention that...

Pat
No, sorry, it's because of Photobooth on Imac... :-?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Interesting long and short touch solution using one hole for the F, there. Don't think I've seen that before.
See Rick Wilson's site for some early 19th century examples, with some other modern makers also doing it (Hans Bracker's Dominic Allan flute is set up this way).
But some of these (certainly Hans's Allan flute) have a short F key also opened by long F lever, whereas Gweniz's Bonamy flute appears to have a long F key also opened by short F lever (so moving far more with the short F, if you see what I mean).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

Thinking about it, having a long F that can also be opened by a short F lever (as opposed to the way I do it now -short F opened by a long F lever) is actually slightly simpler to make.
I can't remember why I originally did it that way round, I may have a re-think on this!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

A long F key is much more mechanically efficient (and reliable) than a short one. Short F keys are comparatively difficult to design and make so they operate correctly and, if closing a pad, have to have a short, stiff spring, making their action relatively heavy even when well made and adjusted. A short F which is merely a lever lifting the long F shank can be very lightly sprung, just to keep it from moving/rattling when the long F is operated.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jemtheflute wrote:A long F key is much more mechanically efficient (and reliable) than a short one. Short F keys are comparatively difficult to design and make so they operate correctly and, if closing a pad, have to have a short, stiff spring, making their action relatively heavy even when well made and adjusted. A short F which is merely a lever lifting the long F shank can be very lightly sprung, just to keep it from moving/rattling when the long F is operated.
That is so true... :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

The short F key while fiddly isn't a major problem on it's own. The complexity I seem to have inflicted on myself is that the long F needs to do a sort of dog leg to connect to the short F, the short F needs a little tab on the side to connect to the long F .
A straight long f with a little lever from the short f running under it would be much easier.
I think I did it this way because there are similar keys on oboes and that's what I'd been doing before turning to flutes.