Identify an Irish flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Viking of Kiev
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Identify an Irish flute

Post by Viking of Kiev »

One guy wrote me about a flute he'd bought by chance in an antique shop in Prague (Czech Republic) this summer.
Has anyone ever seen a logo like that? To me it looks quite awkward and I am inclined to think that it is a Pakistani or Indian hack. Taking also into account he payed 140 Euro for it.
However 140E is too much for a Pak flute and, he told me the flute seemed quite old and cork on one tenon had been damaged. He also sent me a vid with him playing this flute and though he is no good flute player the flute seemed to me to be in tune. Not much inforation, I've asked him more on the internet but no answer yet.

Have anyone seen a flute with a logo like that? What can it be?

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Identify an Irish flute

Post by Jayhawk »

Interesting flute...I've never seen a maker's mark like that, and it's really pretty detailed for a Pakistan made flute. However, it can't be too old being a keyless flute - that means it's likely from the 1980s or later.

Hopefully someone on the board will know who marks their flutes that way.

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Darn, for some reason I can't see any photos or links.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Kevin...that's weird...they show up perfectly in the post for me. The image is of a bird...pretty big engraving and seems unlikely for a Pakistan made flute to have such an intricate engraving as their mark.

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jayhawk wrote:Kevin...that's weird...they show up perfectly in the post for me. The image is of a bird...pretty big engraving and seems unlikely for a Pakistan made flute to have such an intricate engraving as their mark.

Eric
If I quote the post, I can see the code for the image & links. Possibly my ad-blocker is somehow masking it.

EDITED TO SAY: Yes, according to Disconnect tracking plug-in and Adblock Plus plug-in, the images are being tracked by a Russian advertiser (Yandex). Mystery solved.
Last edited by kkrell on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Yes, looks engraved, not stamped. Ya know, that bird looks suspiciously like a lark. . .could our man Mickie Z. be involved?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

It is Pakistani or Indian. I recently picked up a 2nd hand outfit of flute, decent hard case and decent nylon carry case with this brand/logo for not very much. I bought them for the cases, which have gone to house a rather different class flute! However, the flute itself, whilst crudely finished (or simply not finished! - particularly in the embouchure and tone-hole chimneys and bore) is a significant improvement on anything we've seen of this sort in the past. As in, it plays decently in tune with a not bad tone. When I find some time to tidy it up, I think it will be more than OK. This is not the first example of apparently P/I flutes I have handled recently which suggest to me that some of those makers are finally getting their act together and some of our lower price range Western makers had better look to their laurels. I've been intending to make a post about these observations to the sticky thread and will do so in due course. However, there's still plenty of the established type of FLO junk out there, so caveat emptor and try before you buy! I would not yet recommend anyone to buy the OP example, but we can no longer, IMO, make the old blanket assumptions........
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

How interesting Jem! However, I'm not surprised...I figured Indian and Pakistani makers would improve their product if they really were intent on selling them long term. I also knew certain brands of these flutes had some innate promise...otherwise, I can't imagine Rod Cameron taking the time to clean up and sell them like he did some years back.

What company is making these with that bird engraving? I'd like a decent case that's not a pistol case and not expensive. :P

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Just checked the photos I took of the case outfit. (Can't post them at present) - the brand is "Quality 1 Trader Ltd." or "Q1T" as seen in the lark-in-a-triskele logo. The hard case is nothing fantastic cosmetically, fairly typical of the cases many flutes of this general type are being sold in currently.It is reasonably tidily made, fairly solid and generally serviceable.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ok, found a way to post case photos. Haven't got any of the associated flute, but will add when can

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Just checked the photos I took of the case outfit. (Can't post them at present) - the brand is "Quality 1 Trader Ltd." or "Q1T" as seen in the lark-in-a-triskele logo. The hard case is nothing fantastic cosmetically, fairly typical of the cases many flutes of this general type are being sold in currently.It is reasonably tidily made, fairly solid and generally serviceable.
How are the inside parts of the case? I ask because the one which came round on tour last year (?) had a case which was positively dangerous.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Fine, Ben. See edited in second picture. Nothing at all like the one you mean.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

...... And here you have them, lock, stock and barrel: http://www.quality1trader.co.uk.

For the OP's info, I should say the example they asked about is of very recent vintage indeed, whatever its interim provenance.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:...... And here you have them, lock, stock and barrel: http://www.quality1trader.co.uk.

For the OP's info, I should say the example they asked about is of very recent vintage indeed, whatever uts interum provenance.
Oops! :o Yoir us are gettung middled ip wuth yoir is. :lol:

Meanwhile, yes, thanks. I can see that these cases are a lot better than that other one. Not exactly sophisticated, but it looks OK.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Fat finger typos on phone....... corrected while you were posting, Ben.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums