Olwell Nicholson flute (keyless): anyone interested?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hup
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Olwell Nicholson flute (keyless): anyone interested?

Post by Hup »

Hi all

Call me crazy but I am considering selling or trading my
keyless Olwell Nicholson.

I've had it for about a year and I should be happy with it,
but I'm not. I wears me out and there is something about
the tone I don't like. Believe it or not, I am starting to prefer
my Reviol cast bore flute. I think maybe I'm looking for a
brighter, more cutting sound.

But anyhow, make me an offer - sale or trade and I'll consider it.

For trade offer me any kind of interesting D flute with or without keys.
I'll consider it. Sale price - I am flexible, just looking for a
reasonable figure.
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Olwell Nicholson flute (keyless): anyone interested?

Post by libraryman »

Then let me be the first...Hi Crazy. Surely this is some sort of joke. Not that you don't think this is the right flute for you. I had one and sold it because I found it a bit hard going too. But that is a highly highly desirable flute that should fetch a lot more than something someone wants to unload. I'm almost embarrassed by what mine went for on Ebay. But it was worth it to at least several bidders and in the right hands, it can be a cracker.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Have you experimented with seeing how lightly you can blow it? After several years with mine I decided that perhaps I was overfilling it. Since starting down this path, I've found that it sounds much richer, livelier, and more vibrant – and plays almost effortlessly – when I soften the corners of my embouchure and put less air into it. I just assumed because it was a bigger flute it would take more air, but it really doesn't. The less the better (while still supporting the tone, of course)!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Great comment. Exactly my experience with Nicholson from Powell.
L
Hup

Post by Hup »

I will try, Cathy and libraryman - I'm not 100% set on ditching
the Olwell, since I know it goes against the wisdom of the crowd
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I see no harm in passing a flute on, regardless of who made it if it doesn't suit you. It's not like you're offending the maker. And just because some people swear by BMW's you might really be an Audi or Mercedes man..
Get my metaphore? :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Lars is absolutely right. I have talked to a couple of people who, like me, ultimately decided that their Olwell Nicholson was not their ideal flute. But these were all people who had another high end flute (or two) that they found suited them better. That was what happened to me too. My only point to the O.P., and I could have said it better, was that I would try to be sure I was getting exactly what I wanted before making a trade or at least be aware that his flute sells at a nice premium. I wish him all the best.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

For what it's worth, I have had a new Olwell keyless Pratten for five months. I was getting on alright with it's ease of playing, instant response, nimbleness and volume until I got a sweet playing mid 18th century small holed Cocus and realized that had the "real" flute sound I was looking for.

My conclusion is that the Olwell has a comparatively coarser sound. IMO it's better suited to sessions and repetitive, high volume, fast playing, ITM dance tunes, whereas with the Cocus you play the music, any kind of music, including ITM, not just the flute. That's one of the most important distinctions I've learned from flute playing - you play the music not the instrument. I think some Chiffers get wrapped up in the gymnastics of playing flutes rather than with the music, and not only Chiffers.

Anyway, I am going to give the Olwell another five months then decide whether to sell or swap it for an original, antique Rudall, or, I'm told, one of the small holed north American or English flutes. I already have an Austrian eight keyed flute with a tone that is far more flute-like IMO than the Olwell.

Does anyone know anything about the characteristics of the tone of the smaller Olwell? Maybe that'd be worth investigating in my case?

Best wishes,

Keith.
Last edited by keithsandra on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

I'm glad you've found a flute with the sound you want, but I don't want to give the impression that I myself do not think Olwells are generally fantastic flutes. The Pratten has a big sound and the small holed ones are very sweet. The workmanship is absolutely outstanding. I live in Olwell country and hear a lot of Olwell players who sure sound musical to me. My understanding is that the Nicholson model is the one he has tinkered with the most, trying to get is to be as playable as the others, but with its own special character. My problem with mine was simple. Consistency. One day I'd play great, the next I'd be horrible. Well, I guess that's true of all flutes, but it seemed to be especially true with the one I had. That said, I once passed on an Olwell that someone I know snatched up before I decided to go for it and its just a great flute. Anyway, good luck with your Pratten.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

keithsandra wrote:For what it's worth, I have had a new Olwell keyless Pratten for five months. I was getting on alright with it's ease of playing, instant response, nimbleness and volume until I got a sweet playing mid 18th century small holed Cocus and realized that had the "real" flute sound I was looking for.

My conclusion is that the Olwell has a comparatively coarser sound. IMO it's better suited to sessions and repetitive, high volume, fast playing, ITM dance tunes, whereas with the Cocus you play the music, any kind of music, including ITM, not just the flute. That's one of the most important distinctions I've learned from flute playing - you play the music not the instrument. I think some Chiffers get wrapped up in the gymnastics of playing flutes rather than with the music, and not only Chiffers.

Anyway, I am going to give the Olwell another five months then decide whether to sell or swap it for an original, antique Rudall, or, I'm told, one of the small holed north American or English flutes. I already have an Austrian eight keyed flute with a tone that is far more flute-like IMO than the Olwell.

Does anyone know anything about the characteristics of the tone of the smaller Olwell? Maybe that'd be worth investigating in my case?

Best wishes,

Keith.
You, personally, seem to gravitate toward different flute tones than many here want, but you are taking an enormous and biased leap when you assume those "caught up" in ITM dance tunes are more hung up on the instrument than the music - in fact, the reverse is true. The best reason to own a big-toned Pratten is to play ITM and of the many makes out there, the Olwell is a particular favorite.

The relatively "coarse" sound you describe is a sound many favor - comparing Irish tones to classical or jazz tones (or anything in between), is like comparing Les Paul on a Les Paul, to, say, Leslie West on a Les Paul. Both have great tone, but they're addressing a very different audience (usually).

In any event, if you or the OP are unhappy with the sound they're getting from an Olwell (and I stress the sound they're getting from it, not the only sound it can deliver, BTW), then, by all means, change flutes. Plenty here will buy your Olwell.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Thanks Gordon. As I said, I'll give it another five months. Horses for courses!

Best wishes,

Keith.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hi Keith...who made your smaller holed flute? I have a cocus, small hole American flute that I simply adore by E. Baack. Surprisingly loud and oh so nimble. It's simply a blast to play.

Eric
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Hello Jay Hawk. There's no name or number anywhere on the flute. It had no end cap when I got it so I had a new cocus cap made. Pity, because the original cap might have given it some identification. There's no name or number anywhere else on top or inside the flute where I've looked several times ... It had been badly abused but looks great now its been restored. The holes are medium small and it has a 10mm round embouchure. It looks, feels and plays like a top quality instrument with a strong, sweet tone. I'm told it's either French or English. It's had good reactions from a local flute player, collector and restorer as well as a University Music department professor in whose hands I had placed it, my wife loves it and various audiences have reacted favourably, some choosing it over other flutes I have, so it's what I set my standards by so far. However, I have the chance to try a Rudall soon, so we'll see what I think then.

Best wishes,

Keith.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Keith - sounds like you found a good flute. What a great opportunity to try an actual R&R...I've not had that opportunity yet.

I think certain flutes just fit certain people. Regardless of name (or lack thereof)...play what you like not what others feel you should like.

Eric
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Jayhawk wrote: I think certain flutes just fit certain people. Regardless of name (or lack thereof)...play what you like not what others feel you should like.

Eric
Absolutely, Eric. Couldn't agree with you more.

Best,

Keith.