Opnions on best Sounding Delrin flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ballygo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Opnions on best Sounding Delrin flutes

Post by Ballygo »

Im looking to buy a Delrin flute. I like the look of Rob Forbes flutes. Before I order, has anyone had one of these, or has an opinion on Delrin flutes they have played etc.

Cheers

Ballygo
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Opnions on best Sounding Delrin flutes

Post by plunk111 »

Copley without a doubt. Wish I still had mine! I have a Garry Sommers Pratten and it's great, but I think the Copley suited me better. Oh well, seller's remorse (X 2)!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

plunk111 wrote:Copley without a doubt. Wish I still had mine! I have a Garry Sommers Pratten and it's great, but I think the Copley suited me better. Oh well, seller's remorse (X 2)!

Pat
I also vote for a Copley. I also agree with Pat. I have a pratten as well. Great flute, but a Copley suited me better. Like Pat, oh well.

Rob Robison aks skyspirit
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Ballygo

Post by Ballygo »

I just had a look and listen to Copley, very nice. Did you guys find them easy to play, especially bottom D.

Ballygo
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I have a large holed Rudall from John Gallagher in delrin that is great!
OldHag

Post by OldHag »

Vincenzo Di Mauro flutes are good too. Seems a lot Murray style.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Are we giving opinions on the best sounding Delrins, or on which flute is preferred for its body-type, regardless of Delrin? If you want a Pratten, the Forbes is an amazing flute, and fully tunable at a lower price. The Copley, which fully deserves the high praise it's received, is based on a Hawkes, not a Pratten, so it's a bit easier on the hands, especially if you're not a Pratten player. Both these flutes are at the upper-end of workmanship and sound, but beyond that are no more comparable than wooden flutes of different types. The new plug for the large holed Rudall from John Gallagher by kmag, or Vincenzo Di Mauro by OldHag - both assuredly great flutes - are cases in point.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Gordon wrote:Are we giving opinions on the best sounding Delrins, or on which flute is preferred for its body-type, regardless of Delrin?
Gordon has a very good point there. The Forbes flute is a fine flute. Go for it if you like it. It's not a bad suggestion to actually play the flutes to see how you sound on them. Each flute is going to sound mostly like the player anyway. Some flutes suit some players better than others. If you can't try 'em all then start with a Forbes. Keep it if you like it. Try the others in your travels and sell/trade as you see fit.

I do like the Copley Delrin flutes. I favor the tone of the long foot model with the slide over the three piece model. But the three piece model is a great bargain, IMO, and a nice compact design.
skyspirit wrote:I also vote for a Copley. I also agree with Pat. I have a Pratten as well. Great flute, but a Copley suited me better. Like Pat, oh well.
Hmmm? Is that the three piece Copley I have, Rob? Should we talk?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Can anyone compare the Copley to the WD Sweet Shannon? I'll be choosing btwn these two if finances eventually permit.
mke_mick

Post by mke_mick »

I love my Somers medium-holed Rudall model. Great balance between power and responsiveness, fully tunable, and a lovely woody sound. And cheap!

Of the instruments people have named here, there are no bad choices. Just some that suit certain players better than others -- you'll just have to try one and see. The good news is, any of these instruments will be easy to re-sell later should you decide to move on.

Regards,
Mick
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I have a large holed Ruddall from Terry McGee that is fabulous, there might be another out there.
huffin' and puffin'
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Thomaston wrote:Can anyone compare the Copley to the WD Sweet Shannon? I'll be choosing btwn these two if finances eventually permit.
Copley without a doubt. Much better flute in terms of craftsmanship and playability.
Raggle Taggle

Post by Raggle Taggle »

Copley with his elliptical embouchure gets my vote.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

My preference: Cochran Rudall-style Delrin flute by Jon Cornia (Jon C.). The others mentioned above are all decent, too, at different price points, slide & ring appointments, design & finish.

Additional Delrin flutemakers to consider: Desi Seery (based on Hudson); Paddy Ward.
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pmcallis »

If you want a big sounding, large hole pratten, the Somers' pratten model is a great flute (and did I mention inexpensive). Copleys have a great sound, are not as powerful but are priced right. Hammy Hamilton and Terry McGee make excellent delrin flutes but you will pay "wooden flute" prices.
P.