Meyer style flute parts

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nikolas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Meyer style flute parts

Post by Nikolas »

I bought a Meyer style flute for next to nothing because it had a crack in its tuning joint. I repaired the crack, and the flute sounds very sweet except for low C which is very unstable, and not very loud. It's missing its end ferrule, and I suspect that may be part of the issue. It's also missing its crown. Is there any source of parts for these instruments? I don't want to break the bank by sending it for restoration, but I just want a playable flute. Any help?
Feadoggie

Re: Meyer style flute parts

Post by Feadoggie »

Nikolas wrote:Is there any source of parts for these instruments? I
Bet you can't buy just one! The source for parts in my experience is other nach Meyer flutes. Like you said, they are cheap - and they are generally plentiful. Many examples I've seen are missing the bottom ferrule. Keep an eye on the auction sites for one that has the parts you need.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Missing crown and ring should not influence the sound. A weak low C is likely due to a leak from one or more pads (or a leak elsewhere, like from a joint, cork or tuning slide, or hidden crack). Other reasons may be a not very good emission from you lips (low notes are more difficult and require some practice), not completely functional mechanism for low C# and C keys, and/or a not so good quality flute build. Also check the position of the cork in the headjont (that should to be new...) The flute could also be dry or needing some oiling (especially if made of rosewood or ebony rather than cocuswood or grenadilla blackwood)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Nikolas

Post by Nikolas »

Thanks for the advice :-) after my original post I found a tiny hairline crack at the second joint. So I will repair that and see what happens. I will also keep my eyes peeled for replacement parts. I have no idea what kind of wood it's made from. It has a very nice black walnut look, except for the tuning joint, which is a bit lighter in color. What do you recommend oiling it with? I've heard almond oil.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nikolas wrote:What do you recommend oiling it with? I've heard almond oil.
That's a subject with a lot of camps and some mythology. So it depends on who you talk to. It's an old flute. It may need more than a mere oiling. But I've used almond oil (with a couple vitamin E capsules mixed in to keep it from going rancid). It may take a few applications. Wipe it on. Let it soak in a few minutes. Wipe off the excess. Repeat as needed. You'll be able to observe how much oil is absorbed.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Also, FWIW, nach-Meyers and other anonymous German flutes often have problems with the low C. I don't know if it's a mechanical weakness in design, but fixable, but it seems prevalent. I have a decent-sounding German flute, fully functional - if clumsy - down to the D flat. But it's hard, if not impossible, to sound the low C at anything resembling playing speed. Most others I've played have the same issue.
chas

Post by chas »

These flutes have pads rather than plugs for the C and C# notes. It's much more difficult to get the pads of these normally open keys properly sealed, so they're more likely to leak. On a normally closed key, the pad is almost always in contact with the seat, so it takes on the shape of the seat. Not so with the low notes, which I suspect is why they use self-aligning plugs.

You might try putting a rubber band around these keys for a week or two to see if that helps.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

But I've used almond oil (with a couple vitamin E capsules mixed in to keep it from going rancid). It may take a few applications. Wipe it on. Let it soak in a few minutes. Wipe off the excess. Repeat as needed.
I'd keep the flute oiled for a few hours before wiping it...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute