My new baby...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

My new baby...

Post by Jayhawk »

Well, I've finally fallen for another flute. I think I've been playing an M&E for the past 6 years (originally a 6 key polymer and then for over 4 years now an 8 key ebonite). I've passed up opportunities to buy a ton of excellent flutes (from Firth, Pond and Hall up through several very respected modern makers who shall remain nameless to decrease any chance of needless infighting) because I really liked the M&E, especially the ebonite one. However, I've been fighting ulnar nerve pain in my left arm for over a year now, and I discovered that thinner bodied flutes totally alleviate the pain.

A week ago Jon sent me a flute by a lesser known American maker (actually a German immigrant, but his flutes are classically American in style) Edward Baack. In a cool coincidence, the flute is likely from the same period my house was built - roughly 1870ish. Here is Jon's pic of the flute before sending it to me:

All I can say is wow...the flute rocks. It's cocus, 8 keys, smaller tone holes and bore, but a huge, rich sound. I received it two days before the KC Irish fest, and did something I thought I never would...played it for our two shows at the festival. When I heard it was shipping so close to our gigs, I assumed I'd need a few weeks adjusting to it, but it just fit me perfectly from the start. My kudos for Jon, too, for pairing me with the ideal flute!

Now, I just need a thin bodied, preferably smaller/medium tone holed, delrin or ebonite flute to play out at the KC Renaissance festival...there are just some places I wouldn't want to take such an old flute, and outside, rain, shine or snow, isn't one of them.

Just had to share and would appreciate thoughts on Somers R&R delrin vs. Copley vs. Forbes. I've heard the Forbes is nice and thin, but it's a large holed flute. I'd like something as similar to the Baack as possible, and I definitely need a thin body to help with my ulnar nerve issues.

Thanks,

Eric
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: My new baby...

Post by dontf »

huffin' and puffin'
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Yep...I saw that, but how thick is the Copley compared to a Somers R&R?

That's what I'm curious about!

Eric
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Vincenzo Di Mauro also makes smaller holes on his flutes, and the bore is pretty much like a R&R. He's not based in America though...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

Glad you like your new flute. Using my dial calipers, I measure my Copley delrin at 1.08 at the embouchure hole and .980 and the D hole. The taper is pretty even. I sold my Forbes, but it did feel a little thinner and the holes are a little bigger. Shame neither is quite what you are looking for as both are excellent and suited me way better than a polymer M & E I once had. Hope that helps.
Wish someone could set me up with a flute just like the one Jon C. just restored for Aanvil. I really liked the looks of that one.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Hmmm...the Copley may be OK. I don't own anything fancier than a tape measure, and measuring around my Baack flute and M&E where my left hand holds the flute (between the joint and the LH1 tone hole, obviously :-) ).

Baack - 3.25"
M&E - 3.5"

Could you try measuring the Copley the same way and see where it fits in this picture?

Thanks,

Eric
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

I can try. Using a piece of tape, cutting it, and then measuring it with a ruler, I get 3 3/8. Right between your two flutes. That is where my left thumb sits. All the best.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

That's helpful...now if only we could get the same measurement on a Somers r&r!
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Just wanted to say beautiful Baack. Very much love for American flutes.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

dunnp wrote:Just wanted to say beautiful Baack. Very much love for American flutes.
Thanks! It really is something special.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

libraryman wrote:Glad you like your new flute. Using my dial calipers, I measure my Copley delrin at 1.08 at the embouchure hole and .980 and the D hole. The taper is pretty even. I sold my Forbes, but it did feel a little thinner and the holes are a little bigger. Shame neither is quite what you are looking for as both are excellent and suited me way better than a polymer M & E I once had. Hope that helps.
Wish someone could set me up with a flute just like the one Jon C. just restored for Aanvil. I really liked the looks of that one.

Hmmm... I'm musing on selling that particular baby.

I know I said I would keep it but I've got more than a few flutes and I can't play them all. It needs to be played regularly.

I don't think I had the chance to play that particular Baack at Jon's but I have before. Maybe I have? They can be really nice.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Eric, I had a similar problem and needed a very thin Delrin flute. The thinnest Delrin flute I've ever played, which includes Forbes, M&E, Seery, Olwell and Copley, is the flute I had Glenn Watson make for me, which is the same dimension as his wooden flutes. The Copley however is very close with regards to outside diameter on the left hand section between the top of that section and first first hole: 1-1.5 mm more diameter on the the Copley in that area, depending on where exactly you measure, this using digital calipers.

So not much difference in size between the two, but the Watson cost about 4x as much. It does have silver rings and a silver slide, my Copley has neither, so that's a portion of the price difference. Regardless, I think the Copley is equally good, they are simply different. And of course the Copley could be had with a tuning slide and or rings should you want them.

Also, if you go with the Copley I highly recommend asking for the elliptical embouchure cut if you want the flute to play as similar as possible to your new wooden flute.

Disclaimer: I am only stating what MY Copley flute measures compared to MY Watson flute, PLEASE consult with the makers directly as dimensions may have changed and/or other options may be available.

And as with all things, YMMV.

Loren
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Hi Loren - thanks for the information. I have a friend locally who said they'd loan me a Copley. I've been in contact with Gary, but he is away from his shop right now and doesn't remember offhand the exterior circumference...I've heard anecdotally that his flutes might be thinner and be a closer match to my Baack.

Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

libraryman wrote:Glad you like your new flute. Using my dial calipers, I measure my Copley delrin at 1.08 at the embouchure hole and .980 and the D hole. The taper is pretty even. I sold my Forbes, but it did feel a little thinner and the holes are a little bigger.
Dial calipers on a Jon C. Delrin is 1.085" at the embouchure hole and .940 at the D hole; Garry Somers delrin is 1.075" at the embouchure hole and .955 at the D hole.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Kevin...could you measure the outside circumfrence of the somers above the lh1 tone hole not using calipers? Just use a tape measure or string. I need a similar/comparative measure to what I can do at home without calipers.

Thanks,

Eric