Piccolo Page

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dunnp
antispam: No

Piccolo Page

Post by dunnp »

While waiting for my Murray piccolo to arrive I started a little page of info on piccolos in traditional music. No reason just something to do while I waited.

I would like to hear from folk who have nice antique piccolos or recordings, or information on players, past or present.
Send me a pm.

Here it is so far:
http://irishpiccolo.blogspot.co.uk/sear ... lts=23&m=0
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Piccolo Page

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, I'm just going to post on this here thread wot you've started. :)

I have a lovely, 6-key, simple system, Rudall Rose & Carte piccolo, in completely original condition - as in, it hasn't even had new pads - and it's totally gorgeous. :D

PS She's called Patty. :)
PPS that's for Jem, 'cos I know he likes to know these things. :wink:
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

Thanks for creating this interesting page. Great stuff. I especially enjoyed the info about the use of flute & piccolo in contradance music.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
michael c

Post by michael c »

Thanks for your page. I just hope it doesn't cause a relapse of my recent piccolo purchase problem. I seem to have accumulated a Rudall & Carte (via Jem on this site), a pair of Hawkes & Son little flutes, one by Besson, one by Boosey & Co along with a few assorted continental sticks and a Butler thing. There's one of Jem's here too along with one by Sean Murray (maybe his first ever one which I've had for a good few years). If I only allow myself to look at your page once a week and don't look at your Ebay links I should be OK. I'll just concentrate on all the other interesting stuff you have there.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Thank you fellows. If you ever fancy it so would love to have pictures and clips of your instruments, Michael and Ben. Ill have to admit it was hearing you play a Jem pic in a video that got me interested in piccolos again, Michael. i had a rough old German one that I could play but never stuck with it till I heard that clip. I brought it back out from the closet, and ordered a Jem as well, picked up a Blackman (my concert flute is a Blackman) and Metzler Bb band flutes as well.
How did you get Jem to part with one of his Rudalls. I'm sure I asked him once?

Looking for a Blackman piccolo if someone comes across one.

Thanks for taking a look there is a new post about Jim Gornall

I will try and keep eBay posts about finished sales then. Piccolos are addicting.

Take care,
Patrick Dunn
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, Pat, you can see my RR&C piccolo in this old thread, along with her case-mate, my beautiful R&R PH flute with additional Chris Wilkes head, lovingly encased in my fantastic, custom-made Andrew Crawford case.

Not that I'm bragging. :D
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Beautiful Ben, may I snag your photo for the page?

Now I really want a Blackman piccolo to match my flute.

Thanks,
Patrick
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

dunnp wrote:Beautiful Ben, may I snag your photo for the page?

Now I really want a Blackman piccolo to match my flute.

Thanks,
Patrick
Yes, by all means snag the photo, Pat.

BTW, I came past Glasgow, once in each direction, while travelling up to Skye for a few days just the other week. Well, I suppose with the wonderful new motorway nowadays, it's more like passing over Glasgow. Kind of exactly like, in fact. :)
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Well it's a good week to be in Glasgow with Piping Live going on.
If your ever about send me a pm.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

dunnp wrote:Well it's a good week to be in Glasgow with Piping Live going on.
If your ever about send me a pm.
Will do.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Great piccolo blog!

Just enjoyed perusing it for a half hour. Well done.

Regards,

Harry.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Thank you Harry,
It's a bit of fun really. Hard to keep coming up with piccolo related stuff though so special thanks to those who sent me little bits. I know a lot of fluters who have one but few who take it seriously as an instrument.
Take Care All,
Patrick

Also I have tried to get permission where applicable but if anyone feels I have misappropriated an image or anything else let me know and I'll take it down.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Nice blog, I look forward to keeping up with that.

That's a great quote from Jim Gornall -
Piccolo is a great session instrument. You don't need much room and can clearly hear yourself. Other than that it's just good to be playing something different.
Don't tell too many people though or else the secret will be out :)
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Don't tell too many people though or else the secret will be out
I reckon there will be a surge of watchers on eBay piccolos for a few weeks. (This is usual when there is a decent pic thread on here). Then things will go back to normal.
:wink:

Thanks all,
Cheers KKrell,
Patrick
michael c

Post by michael c »

I reckon there will be a surge of watchers on eBay piccolos for a few weeks. (This is usual when there is a decent pic thread on here). Then things will go back to normal.
:wink:

Thanks all,
Cheers KKrell,
Patrick
Maybe a good time for me to flog a few yards of piccolo from the cupboard here ...

18/08/2013 - Just checked the cupboard - nothing worth selling apart from ones I want to keep.
Last edited by michael c on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.