Gary Somers Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Gary Somers Pratten

Post by eedbjp »

Just got my Somers Pratten Delrin from Doc at Irishflutestore. It is a great flute, love the matte finish looks like wood. Here's a clip of me playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXS3f1JU ... ata_player
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Gary Somers Pratten

Post by pmcallis »

You certainly nailed the great sound of the Somers' pratten! :thumbsup:
cheers,
Paul
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

Thanks, I have been working on an embochure concept I read in a C and F post, "think about something sad ( slight frown) and pretend you are blowing crumbs off your chest area of your shirt ( focused airstream) " I keep working on this to try to get a reedy sound. I love this flute, and it carries nicely in a session.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Nice playing. I agree about the Somers. That's what I use now for travel and places where I'm not comfortable bringing my good keyed flute.

I'm not really a Pratten-style player, and it's quite a bit different from my large-hole Rudall-style flute, which can be frustrating. But it's a really good flute, particularly at that price. I hope to become better at moving back and forth between them.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've never seen a somers, and I wonder if someone who plays the rudall can give a bit of a review?
megapop

Post by megapop »

jim stone wrote:I've never seen a somers, and I wonder if someone who plays the rudall can give a bit of a review?
Akiba posted a few words on the R&R quite recently...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91105
return null;
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

Nice playing. The Somers sounds great. I am considering trying to trade a relatively new folk boxwood Burns for a Somer's pratten. I am trying to determine the R2-R3 stretch. I have a Doyle blackwood that is no issue at 36.5 mm.

:)
Last edited by skyspirit on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

I bought the Pratten on a whim from Doc's site (as I was stocking up on some low whistles) and it may get me back into flute playing. It's a very easy blower and the sound is great. Honestly, it sounds better than I should sound, considering my embochure still needs a lot of work (working on one handed octaves and long notes a lot lately in between whistle playing).

All this while my concertina is off for repairs.... (my wife may kill me when she finally realizes what I spend on instruments).
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

megapop wrote:
jim stone wrote:I've never seen a somers, and I wonder if someone who plays the rudall can give a bit of a review?
Akiba posted a few words on the R&R quite recently...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91105

Akiba also said, "It's similar to a Murray in its hole size and hole placement". Does anyone know the r1 to r2 and the r2 to r3 measurements for the Somer pratten. I think a Murray has r2-r3 around 38mm.

Akiba's playing is always great by the way.
Learning how to learn....my music teacher