Patrick Olwell documentary finished!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemmoore
antispam: No

Patrick Olwell documentary finished!

Post by jemmoore »

It's finally done! We'll be having three screenings in the US, the premier will be at the Boedecker Theater in Boulder, CO, on Feb 28th, with another Colorado screening the next night, March 1st, in Lyons, CO. The third screening will be in Charlotesville, VA, near Patrick's shop, on March 16th. If anyone is interested in going, please drop me an email: jemmoore@hotmail.com The movie turned out even better than I hoped, thanks to the many people who allowed us to share their interviews and tunes, and all the amazing sessions in the US and Ireland that made us feel welcome. What a project, over a year in the making and tens of thousands of miles traveled. There will also be DVDs and Blu-rays and HD Downloads of the movie available soon. Meanwhile, check out the newest teaser, with cameos from Matt Molloy and Seamus Egan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nwyTbD_Pn8
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Patrick Olwell documentary finished!

Post by Jayhawk »

Jem,

I am really looking forward to seeing the movie, but it will have to be via dvd or download. Please post back with the link when it is available.

Thanks,

Eric
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

Good lord in heaven, whose flute playing is that? And what tunes are they?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sounds like Seamus playing.

I'm in for a DVD when they're ready. Can't wait. :thumbsup:
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've seen a preview of the film and it's fun. You'll learn a lot about Pat and some of the tales and anecdotes he and others convey are really interesting.

The film does indeed capture the essence of Pat as I know him. The wry wit and sense of humor, and the brilliance, is all there. Others on here know him much better than I ... and I'll venture they'll say the same.

In full disclosure, I have a small cameo ... and it's appreciated ... but aside from that obvious flaw in the film, the rest is good.

Nicely done, Jem. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the Boulder opening. I'll be there!
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

That is indeed Seamus' playing, just unbelievable, isn't it? But there's amazing playing throughout the movie, from over twenty different players. We interviewed thirty people for the film, in addition to Patrick and Aaron, and I hope gave a good idea of just what kind of impact his flutes have had around the world.
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

If you haven't seen this short doc on Solas, check it out, really high production values and great music...
https://vimeo.com/45472973
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I've been teased enough and love every bit of it. Craftsman documenting Craftsman, beautiful thing it is. It would be nice if there was a whole series of documentaries about the craftsmen that make these beautiful instruments.

The Patrick Olwell documentary should be submitted to every film festival possible.

I am looking forward to purchasing my copy(s). Very nicely done.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It would be nice if there was a whole series of documentaries about the craftsmen that make these beautiful instruments.
Work has been done, for tv, in Ireland. It's not a wholly novel idea: eg Ceird an Cheoil about instrument making, Sé Mo Laoch about individual musicians plus other series and one off items.
My brain hurts

Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

Thanks Jem! :wink:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Congratulations, Jem! Really looking forward to seeing it. Looks like really great filmmaking.
Outside the film festival audience ... maybe you can get some interest in screenings at the Catskills Irish Arts week, Swannanoa, Augusta, etc.?
Congratulations again, and a huge thanks to you and your crew!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

Hi Cathy, thanks, and that's a great idea...I don't know for sure how it would work, or what the 'fee' would be, but I'll put some thought into it...
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I spoke with Pat this morning and he's *really* excited about the premier (as is Aaron).

I'm thrilled for them both. It's gonna be a fun weekend. As Pat said: "Should be a great party."

:thumbsup:
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

What a lovely heartwarming film.
I found it entertaining, informative, inspirational and funny!
Excellent value, well worth the extremely low cost and I know I will be viewing it again and again.
Well done, Jem. Good work!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

Thanks so much for the kind reviews all, as my first feature length film I know it has some flaws, I'm just glad folks are enjoying it and that Patrick's personality and genius seem to be coming through intact. The premier is getting close and we're all getting excited. There's a second showing up in Lyons, CO on the following night, March 1st, and there will be some great tunes afterwards. I'm going to try and have someone with a video cam around to put up a little BTS premier vide too :) For all of those who have ordered DVD copies, those will be going in the mail the last week of Feb, so hang in there! Thanks again...