Tipple Low Bb Flute With Two Keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Tipple Low Bb Flute With Two Keys

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I made mention in another thread, "When should I need a keyed flute?", that I was working on the idea of adding keys to my pvc flutes to make the large flutes easier to play.The photo below shows my 3-piece low Bb flute, which is the largest flute that I make. The keys are injection-molded plastic comfort keys that I am buying from Susato in North Carolina. I think that the keys look nice on the black flutes, and they certainly make the flute so much easier to play. There is at least one limitation of having a key for one of the six normally-open holes (no half-holing), but that is a limitation that I am willing to accept for playing comfort. I tried to make a recording of this flute with my new Zoom digital recorder, but after a few attempts I decided that I would not be doing myself a favor by posting any of those audio files, and it isn't because of the flute. I have several audio files available of the low Bb flute at my website for anyone who is interested.

Denny

Re: Tipple Low Bb Flute With Two Keys

Post by Denny »

interesting :D

I'm guessing that the sucker pivots on the screws side

so if ya get the Eb (T3) one ya can't half hole to get to F but Eb & Ab would be fine, eh?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

looks good Doug!
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

I don't get it. How do they work? What do you do to apply a key? Anyone got a diagram?

Best wishes all,

K.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny, I don't think that I understand your question entirely. Yes, the comfort key does hinge on the side with the nylon screws that screw into the key holder, which is set into a machined slot in the surface of the flute. The screws do not screw into the body of the flute. This type of key was developed by George Kelischek of Susato, and the idea was quickly taken up by both Mollenhauer and Moeck, German makers of wooden recorders, who make the comfort key in metal for their tenor recorders.

For the low Bb flute the diatonic major scale is Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G, A, Bb, with half tones between the 3rd and 4th and the 7th and 8th notes of the scale. Ideally, the T6 hole would play both B (half hole) and C, and the T3 hole would play E (half hole) and F. However, with a smallish T6 hole on this large flute it is difficult to play a very successful half-holed note, even without a key, so the presence of the T6 key doesn't hinder in this regard. At T3 it is easier to play the half-holed E note without a key, and with a key at that hole you can also play a respectable E by merely holding the key half-way down.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Doug! :)

The Big Bb flute is looking GREAT! :thumbsup: The levers should make it much easier to play.

But I've stayed away from Big flutes due to their length, I cant my head to the left to compensate and I can feel my neck and shoulder protesting.

Could you add a U-joint to give it a curved head like some alto flutes?

If you did, I think I would have to try one! :D

Keep up the good work!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Denny

Post by Denny »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Denny, I don't think that I understand your question entirely.
I think you were fine...

I do need to get a new proof reader, however.
For the Eb it should have been E (not F) on the half-hole :tomato:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Any chance you could apply this to a low g flute. It may require more keys.?
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

The black sure looks pretty.

Have you made any/many low B flutes? The comfort key would be handy on that key too I would think.

(I play with another uilleann piper and we could do with a flute in B).

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......