Ancient Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ancient Flutes

Post by Dragon »

Hello,

I do Celtic iron age reenactments and I am trying to find a flute with this scale: http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -pipe.html

But I would like it to be a transverse (side blown) flute that looks like bone (if possible): http://homepage.eircom.net/~bronzeageho ... flutes.jpg

Does anyone know of a flute maker who is able (and willing) to take this on?

Thanks.
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Ancient Flutes

Post by Feadoggie »

In true Iron Age fashion, you should make one yourself. That's what they did back then. They did not go to the Internet and ask someone else to do it. Go kill a large animal, eat the meat and then hollow out the long bones and make some holes. :D Why re-enact when you can act?

You could work on the scale using any number of tone hole calculators and use PVC as the tube. You just need the frequencies of the notes. Heat up the PVC or otherwise soften it and flaten the ends to look more like a piece of bone. You can search digiridoo making sites for methods on doing that. If anyone asks about your pipe, tell 'em it came from a unicorn and it's rare stuff. My flute selling days started out in the faux unicorn horn trade, then moved on to Ressikan flutes, etc. :o What'd that guy Barnum say?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Gobae

Post by Gobae »

Feadoggie wrote:In true Iron Age fashion, you should make one yourself. That's what they did back then. They did not go to the Internet and ask someone else to do it. Go kill a large animal, eat the meat and then hollow out the long bones and make some holes. :D Why re-enact when you can act?
LOL, that's what I said when she asked me earlier :) Unfortunately, I've got a ton of reenactment items to make from scratch and we live far enough apart that I can't easily get the raw materials to her.
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I suppose this is where I play the nitpicking pedant and point out that you can't have a European Iron Age transverse flute. They didn't exist in Europe until the Middle Ages, having traveled from an easterly direction. But if you want to be authentic, maybe you could wear a sari or something.

A transverse bone flute with the bulbous joint ends intact like you'd just yanked it out of an aurochs? This is a comedy act, right? I guess that would fly, but in that case I think you should aim more for the Mesolithic or earlier in your sartorial approach. You know, like fake fur boots, raggy pleather loincloths, and dirt. Like that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

This link may help. http://wood-n-bone.co.nz/musical_instruments.html

Just scroll down to "Bone Flute"

Tjones
maki

Post by maki »

Good luck finding a cave bear of appropriate size.
IICR, the last one was killed by a Pennsylvania hunter in 1948.
Gobae

Post by Gobae »

Cave bear? Aurochs? Those would make some really big flutes. I'm thinking deer would be pretty easy, though some of the examples dragon posted said they were swan bones, so perhaps goose would work too.
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Gobae

Post by Gobae »

Nanohedron wrote:I suppose this is where I play the nitpicking pedant and point out that you can't have a European Iron Age transverse flute. They didn't exist in Europe until the Middle Ages, having traveled from an easterly direction.
That's not nitpicking, that's a good point.
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

You could try Corwen, here, although I believe he is a bit busy, what with just getting married, and all. (Congratulations, Corwen!)

I have a bone flute from Corwen, and it plays nicely (once you know how). He's made a few in different sizes, but I haven't seen a transverse one. If there's a good reason why it's not possible, Corwen will be able to tell you.

Magnus Storbrakken also makes bone flutes, but again, I don't see any transverse ones. http://www.naturinstrumenter.no/
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tim B.

Post by Tim B. »

Maybe Jeff Barbe?
http://www.jeff-barbe.fr
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I'd talk to Helen Leaf:

These deer bone flutes are accurate working reproductions of medieval bone flutes, made here in the workshop by Helen Leaf of the Leaf Trading Post. She has studied the archaeological examples as research for her PhD.

The deer bone flute is second from the right of the photo, and has five front toneholes.

If you'd like to know more about bone flutes, we have an article that was published in the Galpin Society Journal - this gives good general information about medieval bone flutes. When the website allows, this will be available as a free download. In the meantime, if you'd like a copy get in touch and we'll send one to you (thanks to the Galpin Society for allowing this). The full reference for this article is on our info/downloads page.

Due to natural variations in the shape of the bones, each flute has a different and unique sound. We like our customers to try serveral flutes and choose the one that suits them best - if you're coming along to any of our shows and want to make sure we have them with us, let us know.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Gobae wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:In true Iron Age fashion, you should make one yourself. That's what they did back then. They did not go to the Internet and ask someone else to do it. Go kill a large animal, eat the meat and then hollow out the long bones and make some holes. :D Why re-enact when you can act?
LOL, that's what I said when she asked me earlier :) Unfortunately, I've got a ton of reenactment items to make from scratch and we live far enough apart that I can't easily get the raw materials to her.
Hi Gobae,

I would love to win the lottery :love: , quit my job, buy a house with a heated work room, take lessons from flute makers, and start making Iron age flutes to my hearts content! Sadly, I have not won the lottery nor have the time or space for a flute makeing studio. Just spending enough time to play them and contune searching out infomation about Iron age topics is all I can muster while earning a living so I can pay for the former, and little side things like food, and heating oil. :really: So, I am trying to find a flute maker who can make one- a nice well playng flute, then I will set about playing it until my fingers bleed! :thumbsup:
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Nanohedron wrote:I suppose this is where I play the nitpicking pedant and point out that you can't have a European Iron Age transverse flute. They didn't exist in Europe until the Middle Ages, having traveled from an easterly direction. But if you want to be authentic, maybe you could wear a sari or something.

A transverse bone flute with the bulbous joint ends intact like you'd just yanked it out of an aurochs? This is a comedy act, right? I guess that would fly, but in that case I think you should aim more for the Mesolithic or earlier in your sartorial approach. You know, like fake fur boots, raggy pleather loincloths, and dirt. Like that.
WoW. You are a rude one. Transverse bone flutes did exist during the bronze age - but I'm guessing you did not know that or care. Don't bother replying to my posts.

~Aristotle
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Just in case there are people who read this thread who actually care - here is a source about transverse flutes in Europe BC.

http://www.rogerblench.info/Ethnomusico ... 0flute.pdf

~Aristotle
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dragon wrote:WoW. You are a rude one.
WoW. You are an impolitic one. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.