Patrick Olwell's place

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemmoore
antispam: No

Patrick Olwell's place

Post by jemmoore »

Here it is! We have a very exciting short teaser to share with you, and it finally has actual video of Patrick! We spent three days in Massie's Mill, VA, hanging with Patrick, Aaron and Matthew, and shot some amazing footage. Patrick never ran out of stories, we just ran out of time to get them! In this teaser you'll get to see what the shop is like, hear some lovely tunes, and see the kinds of shots we were getting for the documentary. What was most amazing to me was the amount of music going on all the time. With four flute players in the room, sometimes more, somebody was always picking up a flute and starting a tune, and then someone else would join in, and if there was a camera nearby we'd be lucky enough to capture a bit on film. I hope you enjoy this teaser as much as I enjoyed putting it together, and hopefully it will convey why I'm so excited about this documentary.

https://vimeo.com/41187583
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Patrick Olwell's place

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Wonderful, looking forward for the full thing!
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

It's no wonder his waiting list is so long if you guys are playin tunes and swappin stories all the livelong day :)

Nice vid!

m.d.
rickR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rickR »

When are you going to be finished with this so we can see the final product? Great scenes and I can't believe the size of the piece of Mammoth ivory he's cutting on the band saw!
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

Actually, that's boxwood he's cutting on the bandsaw, and a mammoth ivory cameo that he's holding in his fingers earlier in the clip :) The best part was when the phone rang, and it was someone from Ireland wondering when their flute would be done...but no worries, ya gotta figure three days is a small price to pay to capture the magic for posterity! Stay tuned for more clips, I'll be putting up an interview montage (we have 10 interviews in the can right now, with at least 15 more to go) and a short music video of Aaron and Matthew, Patrick's sons, playing music and dancing, they are both great. The finished doc will have to wait until after our Ireland interview trip, which at the moment is the first week in Oct., subject to change, and then *lots* of editing, color correcting, sound engineering and titles. I'm hoping to have the premier viewing in Nelson County, VA, around the first week of November, I'll keep you posted.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Wow! I can't wait for more!

Looking forward to hearing that baguette bread flute. :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Almost faint when I saw all those Rudall in row... very nice clip!
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Wow !!!!! :o

Thank you :D

More please :love:

....nobody said this would be easy......

rickR

Post by rickR »

My mistake. Must have been the baguette previously that threw my sense of scale off. I've got some chunks of boxwood that I used in lute making, but again that's a rather large piece. Patrick must have some fine sources for rare woods!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

the music!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Nice video! Hope there will be more video on his flute making techniques... :twisted:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Lookin' good! I recognized that cocus Bb he was playing. Sven (aka Blackwood) had custody of that for a year or so and I enjoyed playing that bad boy every chance I got.
Peewit

Post by Peewit »

Absolutely lovely!

Patrick and Matthew will be at the Boxwood Festival in Lunenburg NS this summer - July 22-28. :D
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

Indeed, and we're traveling to Halifax to film them there as well, if all goes according to plan. We'll be interviewing Chris Norman as well, he's an old friend and an Olwell owner. There will definitely be more coming, the plan is to have a feature-length documentary finished by November, and we'll certainly have enough footage to accomplish that. We won't be giving away any Olwell secrets, gotta save the mystery, but there are some beautiful shots of both Patrick and Aaron working on flutes. There's even more shots of rare antique flutes from the vault (literally the vault, downstairs in the bank building the shop is in) that are just great. And sorry, we ate the baguette flute...
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

that was so great ! thank you.