SOLD: Perfect, Irreplaceable, Magical Olwell Boxwood Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: SOLD: Perfect, Irreplaceable, Magical Olwell Boxwood Flute

Post by mutepointe »

Magical flutes are a dime a dozen, where are the haunted flutes? And not haunted just by a nobody, by someone famous, who hopefully knows which Immigrant song I wanna hear.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
killthemessenger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

MTGuru wrote:Methinks that Herrick's written arts
Were o'er-concerned with women's parts.
When clothing doth the poet vex, he
May confound what's sex and sexy.
Good one!
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

mutepointe wrote:Magical flutes are a dime a dozen, where are the haunted flutes? And not haunted just by a nobody, by someone famous, who hopefully knows which Immigrant song I wanna hear.
I have it on good authority that one of our forum members (I'm not mentioning names) has started to make haunted flutes, and he is famous by Chiff and Fipple standards. Whenever he gets the chance, he takes them to a nearby mausoleum to allow the departed souls to play through him on these flutes. I know that it sounds spooky and weird, but, like I said before, I think that in this case, it is true. I'm sure that you could buy one of these haunted flutes for much less than the rather ordinary though perhaps perfect Olwell flute pictured in this ad topic.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Magical flutes are a dime a dozen, where are the haunted flutes? Whenever he gets the chance, he takes them to a nearby mausoleum to allow the departed souls to play through him on these flutes. I know that it sounds spooky and weird, but
Hmmmmm.........Sooo..... If a flute player is playing a little off par, could be a haunted flute or departed soul playing through them?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Magical flutes are a dime a dozen, where are the haunted flutes? And not haunted just by a nobody, by someone famous, who hopefully knows which Immigrant song I wanna hear.
I have it on good authority that one of our forum members (I'm not mentioning names) has started to make haunted flutes, and he is famous by Chiff and Fipple standards. Whenever he gets the chance, he takes them to a nearby mausoleum to allow the departed souls to play through him on these flutes. I know that it sounds spooky and weird, but, like I said before, I think that in this case, it is true. I'm sure that you could buy one of these haunted flutes for much less than the rather ordinary though perhaps perfect Olwell flute pictured in this ad topic.
Sa-weet. Could a person get a flute haunted by multiple entities or does the Fajardo wedge keep the spirits from interferring with each other? Could a person select the entities to haunt their flute or is it strictly first come first serve? Are some entities disturbed and causing trouble because of the holographic sparkle rings? I don't want no troubles but I do want the blues.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
eskin

Post by eskin »

Wow, I have one of these unlined unkeyed Boxwood Olwell flutes with cork joints that is the single-piece body brother to the one that Jessie sold. When I saw her asking price I had to sit down and have some tunes on it just to see if perhaps I'd consider parting with it.

No way, Olwells are pure magic, at least that's my feeling about this one.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

mutepointe wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
Sa-weet. Could a person get a flute haunted by multiple entities or does the Fajardo wedge keep the spirits from interferring with each other? Could a person select the entities to haunt their flute or is it strictly first come first serve? Are some entities disturbed and causing trouble because of the holographic sparkle rings? I don't want no troubles but I do want the blues.
It isn't me that I am referring to, Mute, but it is someone in your neighborhood. Say, for someone who is ostensibly mute, you sure have a lot of questions. Even over this virtual medium, I can tell that you are just pretending to be mute. It ought to be obvious that the Tipple-Fajardo wedge would be a very poor receptor of spirit transmission. But the black pvc pipe, that is a different story.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

eskin wrote:Wow, I have one of these unlined unkeyed Boxwood Olwell flutes with cork joints that is the single-piece body brother to the one that Jessie sold. When I saw her asking price I had to sit down and have some tunes on it just to see if perhaps I'd consider parting with it.

No way, Olwells are pure magic, at least that's my feeling about this one.
For anyone who is interested, I have it on pretty good authority again, that Mr. Olwell would be happy to make another magical flute like the one in this auction for under $1,000. There would be a probable nine month wait, but for someone interested in magic, it would be worth it. However, this is not to say that the current sale was over-priced. That would be against our C&F rules to comment on asking price, for who can place a true value on magic?
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

....who can place a true value on magic?
The OP, ain't?
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:However, this is not to say that the current sale was over-priced. That would be against our C&F rules...
...as regards price policing. For more detail about Doug's mention of this, folks, please see The CCCP, section 8. It's a fairly small read that makes a heap of sense.
Doug_Tipple wrote:...to comment on asking price...
I suppose it's a fine point to some, but being as this is a social board, there's no principle against commentary as such. However, criticism, that is to say policing of pricing, IS proscribed. It's a difference worth keeping in mind. One might also remember that policing may be all in the eye of the beholder. Welcome to the tightrope. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I found a replacement for my boxwood Olwell :wink:

Michael I bought your flute for 900 in 2006.

It was unsold for over a month a the time.

Maybe it was missing the magic,

but fair play to Jesse who always gets top dollar for top flutes.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I had one of these once too, maybe the one eskin has. I thought it had a lovely sound
but for me it played flat in rooms that were at all cold. A slide would have helped.
Also I reckon a better fluter could have played it better than I did. I think a lot
depends on what you want to do with it. The one I had was not a
session flute, IMO. Personally if I went for one of these at the price
it would have a slide.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Michael's has travelled all around Spain and the UK in cold and hot venues and played fine all the way, with the head in. It did like to be warmed up though which is fair enough. Interestingly I once handed this flute to another player who sounded fine on his Ormiston flute. He played it in c sharp or thereabouts confirmed by someone playing a csharp d box. I played his Ormiston with no adjustment in tune.
I like slideless flutes less worry sometimes.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I will comment, as the buyer, who is IN LOVE with the flute, has been made upset by the post that said that Olwell could create magic for under $1000. Most of you know me and my experience. I owned over a hundred flutes over the years, and I sold them all (I have one Irish flute left that I got in trade from Patrick Jones). Olwell does NOT create magic every time he makes a flute. His design is great, his embouchures vary, and sometimes I think he calls it in. I never played another Olwell flute that approached this one. And I played a hell of a lot of them.

Julia Delaney, or Rosemary whatever, who is actually David Levine, you have multiplied prices paid on flutes also, because you are also qualified to judge excellence in flutes.

The buyer got a wonderful flute for a fair price, based solely on THIS flute. And he loves it.
~JessieD
eskin

Post by eskin »

If the buyer was upset by the comment, then I'd have to say, they don't know much about magic flutes... :-)