Info on Oppenheim, London, boxwood/ivory/sterling 8 k flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Paul Groff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Info on Oppenheim, London, boxwood/ivory/sterling 8 k flute?

Post by Paul Groff »

Hi all,

I have a very nice H. Oppenheim 8-key flute listed for sale in the Used Instrument Exchange:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=85342&p=1048593#p1048593

Email me for photos if interested: groffco (at) gmail (dot) com. I will also try to answer any questions I can.

I confess I know little about H. Oppenheim (dealer? maker?), though I remember finding some pics of other instruments by him (that were not as nice as this 8 key flute). I suspect this flute was made by an excellent maker and stamped for sale by Oppenheim. It's a beautifully made example of its type.

Would appreciate any comments from others who have seen, played, owned Oppenheims. I never got this one fully restored, but it plays pretty well when oiled and played a couple of days, and it got high marks from some excellent players and a couple of good flute makers, when I last had it out and about 10 years ago.

PG
dunnp

Re: Info on Oppenheim, London, boxwood/ivory/sterling 8 k flute?

Post by dunnp »

There was an oppenheim boxwood piccolo on eBay for ages but it seems to be gone now had a buy it now of somewhere near 180 pounds or so. Was all wood no rings with a brass key I think. Sounds like a lovely flute your selling.
Paul Groff

Post by Paul Groff »

dunnp,

Thanks for that information, I missed seeing that piccolo. Another C & F member sent me the link to this earlier flute, stamped M. Oppenheim:

http://www.musurgia.com/products.asp?Pr ... 5811272011

I'm guessing that my 8 key flute is 30 - 40 years younger than that M. Oppenheim; mine is "H. Oppenheim," has a full 8 key system and is made for a bigger sound.

Happy to be corrected or educated if others here can tell us more about H. Oppenheim or this particular flute. I wasn't able to attach a photo but here's a link to my ad on craigslist in Madison WI:

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/2723572545.html

PG
paddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

The New Langwill Index has an entry for Oppenheim and another for M. Oppenheim, both as first half 19c. There is also an entry for Oppenheim Brothers (Henry and M.) with an address of 32 Monkwell St, and dates 1876-1884. Henry was the rate payer.
Paul Groff

Post by Paul Groff »

Thanks paddler!

I always guessed this was an 1830s flute, based on its dimensions, pitch, keywork, etc., but would be interested to learn more about this flute.

With some differences in number of keys, details of the keyblocks and the ivory rings, etc, the H. Oppenheim 8-key reminds me very much of this flute, recently listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85038

PG
Paul Groff

Post by Paul Groff »

Hi all,

In response to the threads on flute measurements, the center-center distance from the (high) C# hole to the Eb hole of this Oppenheim flute is around 257 mm.

With my amateur embouchure, and the sterling lipplate that adds chamber height to the embouchure hole, the flute plays above A 441 with the tuning slide fully in, but has better intonation for me at pitches below A 440.

PG
Paul Groff

Post by Paul Groff »

Hi all,

Still for sale. I would consider reasonable offers, possibly including partial trades. I have photos I can email or see the craigslist ad linked above. Because of the ivory rings, cap, and cork-adjusting screw, this flute might require some paperwork if shipped out of the USA.

Paul Groff
Madison, WI, USA