RRC on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

RRC on ebay

Post by radcliff »

LorenzoFlute

Re: RRC on ebay

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Is it cocuswood? The colour looks very light...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
yellowhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by yellowhistler »

I'd say it's cocus. And by the looks of things it hasn't been handled much or the shellac/french polish would be more worn off and the wood be darker. Only fix needed for that one might be a new spring for the C# key, unless it's the block pinching the key, in which case some light scraping of the key way will do. Some cleaning, new thread for the joints, oiling and a re-pad and it's good to go! The keys seem to be nickel silver, but the rings could be sterling...?
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

Looking a bit closer the keys are likely sterling as well...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I dunno. I thought they looked GS to me. I was worried about the fact that you can;t see the embouchure hole. I've sent a message through eBay asking for a pic of the embouchure hole, but with no response ...
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i'm not so worried about the embouchure. the seller clearly notes there are no cracks or splits.
I'd want to see a photo of the slide separated to ensure it's not frozen.

I don't think these are GS keys, although the late serial number says it could be.
the indicator of silver keys, i believe, is the foot key set up. The "claw" interlock is usually in sterling. I can't say i've seen it in GS (thought i might be wrong, but i just don't recall it). Usually the GS keys are overlapping touches on the foot keys.

Nice looking flute.
the late serial number would indicate an improved bore in good shape for modern 440 pitch play.
fyi....i will not be bidding.
paddler

Post by paddler »

You guys seem to be quite good at predicting the final sale price on these flutes. Do you have any estimates on how much this one is likely to go for in the end? I'm seriously considering taking a shot at it. Thanks! Jon
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I already took two shots at it just for fun!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Do you have any estimates on how much this one is likely to go for in the end? I'm seriously considering taking a shot at it. Thanks! Jon"

2400-2600 Sterling
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

yellowhistler wrote:I'd say it's cocus. And by the looks of things it hasn't been handled much or the shellac/french polish would be more worn off and the wood be darker. Only fix needed for that one might be a new spring for the C# key, unless it's the block pinching the key, in which case some light scraping of the key way will do. Some cleaning, new thread for the joints, oiling and a re-pad and it's good to go! The keys seem to be nickel silver, but the rings could be sterling...?
Can't say ever saw a Rudall that had a shellac finish... This is the color of true Cocuswood, unless it is acid stained. It will darken slightly over time. The majority of antique flutes were not made from Cocus, but another type of cheaper ebony, that would get quite dark.
Looks like it will bea great flute for someone, probably well for about $3,500-$4,000 is my guess.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I didn't know any of these had only three sections.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jim stone wrote:I didn't know any of these had only three sections.
You might want to count again, Jim (hint: look for the rings).
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

Jon C. wrote:Can't say ever saw a Rudall that had a shellac finish... This is the color of true Cocuswood, unless it is acid stained. It will darken slightly over time. The majority of antique flutes were not made from Cocus, but another type of cheaper ebony, that would get quite dark.
I'm talking from experience with cheaper cocus flutes so you may be right. Since Hammy Hamilton re-french polished the head on the ornate Rudall #859 a few threads down I figured it occured on Rudalls as well. What type of finish do they usually have? Linseed oil?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

yellowhistler wrote:Since Hammy Hamilton re-french polished the head on the ornate Rudall #859 a few threads down I figured it occurred on Rudalls as well. What type of finish do they usually have? Linseed oil?
I can't claim to "know" what R&R did to finish their flutes, but from the bit of working cocus I have done, it does not appear to me to need any surface finish, nor, on close examination, do most cocus flutes show any sign (to my non-expert, non-cabinet-maker trained eyes) of applied surface finishes. The wood itself is very waxy - often described as "buttery", and if you surface finish to a very fine level of abrasive and then burnish up the surface with leather or cloth (or, I'm sure Jon C may chip in, buffing wheels with suitable softness), it comes to a pretty good polish untreated. If you get oil on it in the process of oiling the bore, sure, that glosses it up even more, as does application and burnishing of a waxy polish (e.g. Renaissance Wax or a furniture polish), but I don't think it is actually necessary. I suspect that Rose's famous polished bores may represent the nature of the timber in similar fashion rather than any special applied substances.

As for estimates, not that long ago a flute like this would have been pretty assured of a price in the £3-3.5k region and I think I have a record (no time to check now) of a fairly similar one which went over £4k 4 or 5 years back.... and I'd like (and wouldn't be astonished) to see it get £3k +. But in the current market, I wouldn't be surprised if this went for between £1.8-2.5k.

FWIW, certainly at first inspection I thought the keys looked to be GS, but I know from experience how hard it can be to tell from online photos, and like David, I suspect the claw foot keys may make sterling a higher probability - I can't recall seeing them in GS either.

@ Jim - the period flute cases always (that I have seen) store these flutes with the lower body and foot joints assembled. It is normal.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

kkrell wrote:
jim stone wrote:I didn't know any of these had only three sections.
You might want to count again, Jim (hint: look for the rings).
Thanks. The ad says the flute is three piece and I couldn't spot the ring tween
the footjoint and the rest, but now I do.