Flat bottom D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Fiff & Chipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Flat bottom D

Post by Fiff & Chipple »

I've recently got a Murray flute that sounds lovely apart from the flat bottom D note. What are the best tips/techniques for a remedy???? The more I play the flute the better it seems to be getting but its still bugging me.

The flute is keyed and the pads seem ok. Would air loss around the pads cause this anyway?
jim stone

Re: Flat bottom D

Post by jim stone »

If the second octave D is in tune, then try to blow the bottom D in tune.
The way to do this is to lift your chin and blow across the hole,
which should raise the pitch. May take some practice. Get used
to 'blowing the flute in tune.'
Not uncommon for Rudall-style flutes to have a flat bottom D.
Denny

Post by Denny »

might be a feature....

Like if the person, that it was made for, wanted to honk the bottom "D" hard.

If it still is annoying after six months or so then either sell it on, and get one more to your liking, or chat with Sam about bringing the bottom "D" up.

Leaky pads isn't likely the cause, they'll make it weak but not flat.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The 'flat-foot' syndrome is a 'feature' centered around the acoustic nature of the classic flutes. The end correction for the foot of the flute is slightly lengthened to facilitate blowing the third octave closer into tune. It has to do with the need to play the higher series of harmonics to achieve that third octave, and they by their nature proceed sharper and sharper as you go up. I have seen it speculated that the thinking was that it was easier for a seasoned player to bring the bottom notes up than it would be to play the upper notes flatter. . .particularly for rapid and exposed passage work. 'Course, in ITM we just don't venture far if at all into the third octave, and modern makers tend to throw the 'flat-foot' under the bus and allow a much sharper third octave on the assumption that you won't be using it so much. And some makers, refuse to 'jigger' with the old tried and true formulas, and continue to make modern flat feet. Hammy Hamilton would be an example of a modern maker who isn't interested in continuing on with the flat foot and some of the other 'artifacts' of tuning that come down to us from the classic flutes.
Donning my asbestos underwear :D
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Fiff & Chipple wrote:I've recently got a Murray flute that sounds lovely apart from the flat bottom D note. What are the best tips/techniques for a remedy???? The more I play the flute the better it seems to be getting but its still bugging me.

The flute is keyed and the pads seem ok. Would air loss around the pads cause this anyway?
It is not the flute, that is how it is designed. Once you become accustomed to playing the flute, you will have a stronger bottom D and it will have proper intonation.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I think you'll find the answer at:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Getting_the ... k_tone.htm

It requires you to shift the energy away from the flat fundamental (low D) and into the harmonic series (middle D, 2nd octave A, high D, etc). Providing those notes are in tune, the composite complex note will be in tune. The ear, hearing this series, reconstitutes the missing fundamental. So your job is to blow it missing.

Terry
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Flat bottom D
They make the rockin' world go round.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

For me it's a combination of Jim's and Terry's techniques. I raise my chin and blow more across the hole to sharpen the note, but I also tighten my embouchure almost as if I were playing a second-octave note, which produces overtones and gives you that reedy sound. Once you get the hang of it the result is a powerful, free and open bottom D that's perfectly in tune. On some flutes designed to play the bottom D in tune without this adjustment, the note can sound "pinched" (i.e., less open) although I haven't encountered that problem in many flutes.
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

It's probably worth mentioning that some people have more success with this than others. Stephen Doherty (2008 All-Ireland Senior flute) told me that he couldn't cope with the low D flatness on his Sam Murray flute and got Sam to alter it for him. YMMV

Cheers
Graeme
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

s1m0n wrote:
Flat bottom D
They make the rockin' world go round.
Beat me to it.

Meanwhile...
bradhurley wrote:For me it's a combination of Jim's and Terry's techniques. I raise my chin and blow more across the hole to sharpen the note, but I also tighten my embouchure almost as if I were playing a second-octave note, which produces overtones and gives you that reedy sound. Once you get the hang of it the result is a powerful, free and open bottom D that's perfectly in tune. On some flutes designed to play the bottom D in tune without this adjustment, the note can sound "pinched" (i.e., less open) although I haven't encountered that problem in many flutes.
This is a great description of how to play a hard D. I would elaborate somewhat on the subject of tuning.

Some flutes are tuned to produce an in-tune D with a gentle blow. If you "harden up" as described you will get a sharp D, regardless of how nice it sounds. My own flute (Olwell Nicholson)produces a slightly flat D when blown gently, but pitches up perfectly with the above-described blow.

This is exactly how I wanted it.

Rob
Fiff & Chipple

Post by Fiff & Chipple »

Thank you everybody. A much welcome response and very informative. I'll work in confidence with all the advice I've been given.

Forums are only as good as its members, and this forum is excellent.