Beautiful 19th-century antique flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
flutistic
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Beautiful 19th-century antique flute for sale

Post by flutistic »

Hi, folks.

Just letting you all know that my gorgeous boxwood and ivory 19th-Century six-keyed flute is on sale now through David and Nina Shorey. This is a very special flute and plays beautifully. I recently had the renowned Irish traditional flute player Kevin Crawford try it out for me when he was in town, and he was very impressed by it. He was especially thrilled by the low end, and how the low C just popped out, and he remarked that the overall tone was complex and lovely. He thought it was a perfect session flute. Coming from Kevin Crawford, that's quite an endorsement!

This would also be a perfect flute for Irish flute beginners, since the holes aren't too big or spread apart. But the tone is robust enough for those who want to cut through at a session. It's got refinement and guts!

To see this flute on ebay, you can go to http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... 0693541242 (auction runs through Nov. 14th), or visit David Shorey's website at http://www.antiqueflutes.com. There are lots of photos and a detailed description of the flute on both sites.

Thanks!
Susan Winsberg
Paul Groff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Beautiful 19th-century antique flute for sale

Post by Paul Groff »

Susan,

What a beautiful flute. As I understand the description, the Shoreys seem to think that Shepherd & Sutton were dealers and that the flute was made by an excellent maker. Any more thoughts on exactly which maker?

Paul Groff
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I like the status: Manufacturer Refurbished... That would require a time machine! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I was sitting across from Susan when Kevin gave it a test dive. I can tell you all... it's a great sounding flute.

The images to not do it justice. Gorgeous boxwood!!!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Vanished from e bay. Says it's no longer available.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

i have one just like it, same crazy boxwood ivory rings and silver keys, the tenon is covered with the boxwood.........large tone holes.....tuning a bit weird but have not put much time into it, it's really beautiful flute and great workmanship.