How many C&Fers on Patrick Olwell's list?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How many C&Fers on Patrick Olwell's list?

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Grinter's only 9-12 months for an 8-keyed flute (August was when I was told that anyway).
A friend has been waiting this much for a keyless (but double body) Grinter...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Gordon's right about the difference in wait times, which are relative to demand and, perhaps, staff.

One man's mediocre is another's treasure, which means a Grinter to one is a McGee to another.

My preference was determined based on my playing style. I've played them all (I guess I've been lucky in that regard) and made my personal choice. That's not an endorsement, merely my own recognition of what I wanted and preferred.

and I was willing to deal with the wait. Patience is a very difficult commodity, no matter whose flute you're waiting for.

But if you want a flute (mine is actually only a 5 key....surprise!) that's precisely what you want, don't use the wait time (or lack thereof) as the barometer for whose flute you order. Choose the flute you want from the maker you prefer and then simply endure. You'll get over it once it arrives.

I have several outstanding Rudalls and have had Prattens, too. All good and in the scheme of it, likely just fine to live out my musical life. But I wanted one that was truly "mine" in that it was made for me and fits my hands and my style/method of play.

I can't say Pat would do this for everyone. I don't know. It's a huge demand on his time and skills. With that goes a commensurate amount of waiting since he's a very very busy guy.

I will say this: last night I sat down to play it and was falling asleep it was getting so late, but I simply could not put the flute down, enthralled with how well it fit my fingers and how good it was sounding. Exploration is the beginning of invention and I'm really enjoying this ride!
Last edited by RudallRose on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

All this talk of long waiting lists. Sigh! I wonder how many flutes are represented by a 5-10 year waiting list, and am suspecting its more a reflection of output (fewer flutes per year) than a huge number.

I am seeing my own waiting list shrink almost to zilch, thanks to the wonderful economy we are enjoying. Unless I get a bunch of orders I could actually catch up to it in December or January - the first time since 2000. I really should advertise all this curly boxwood that I am sitting on to spur some interest (seriously - I have enough for about 7 or 8 flutes)! And the fact that once can get a keyed flute from me in only 2-4 months. When the orders run out, I'll just keep making flutes until I have built up an inventory. I wouldn't mind having a bunch on hand so that people don't have to wait, period.

Casey
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

To clarify - or maybe just reiterate - Olwell makes fantastic flutes. I was talking wait times. David is right - fantastic is in the eye of the beholder, but many flutes I've come across over the years came well within the range of an Olwell or Wilkes in terms of quality craftsmanship and incredible sound, with the given that they have a very high bar to cross against, say, an Olwell or a Wilkes. Many did not compare - as I said, Olwell (and Wilkes) makes great flutes. Would I want to one right now, at someone else's expense? Sure. Might even wait a year or two. Or three.

But if I really was in the market for a new keyed flute (or unkeyed, for that matter) , I'd be busy checking out the many, many makers out there, too numerous to name (and don't want to offend anyone or leave a good one out) who might be able to make a cracking keyed flute in a shorter time span, say, two or three years? Less? Bottom line is that any deficiency in sound from a top maker that I've selected based on my taste is probably coming from me, anyway; I'd like to spend some time with the thing before I die.
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Well, after seeing and hearing David's (Migoya) new keyed boxwood Olwell Rudall at session last night, with custom key setup and ergonomic millwork, I might change my mind about getting on "the wait list" afterall. This is a one of a kind flute. And in the hands of such a capable player as Dave, it was/is a joy to hear.
Russ
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

that WAS fun, wasn't it?
I'm still getting a handle on the flute, though. As Pat Olwell has said: "I hate playing a new flute. It completely f's-up my playing for months!"
He's right.
But it's been very fun learning it.

and it's a Nicholson, not Rudall, model, btw. :)
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

David Migoya wrote: and it's a Nicholson, not Rudall, model, btw. :)
Here's how Pat Olwell describes his "Nicholson" model
"Nicholson (Medium) This model is my modification of the so-called “Nicholson” flute, developed around 1820, of which I find Rudall-Rose flutes to be the best examples."
Cheers
Graeme
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

gee, Grox. Thanks. I didn't know that.

and how does he describe his Rudall model?
ah, that's right....the small-holed flute he offers.

I wouldn't know the difference.

:really:

Incredible, isn't it? :boggle: There's always someone.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Gordon wrote:To clarify - or maybe just reiterate - Olwell makes fantastic flutes. I was talking wait times. David is right - fantastic is in the eye of the beholder, but many flutes I've come across over the years came well within the range of an Olwell or Wilkes in terms of quality craftsmanship and incredible sound, with the given that they have a very high bar to cross against, say, an Olwell or a Wilkes. Many did not compare - as I said, Olwell (and Wilkes) makes great flutes. Would I want to one right now, at someone else's expense? Sure. Might even wait a year or two. Or three.

Which were the ones that did compare favorably? No use being vague here; whose flutes are you talking about?

Rob
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Well just remember, you can drive a Rolls Royce and still be a bad driver for the unfortunate passengers! Or you can pick up a Stradivarius and play silly songs on it out of tune and it won't sound magical. Matt Molloy played a Boosey flute with knickel keys for years, with all the faults that it might have.

But what IS nice here is to see how many people on this forum are passionate about particular objects that were handmade by skilled (tried and tested) craftsman. Is it not like the swords we read about in things like the Lord of the Rings? Today we are told to buy and replace mass-produced consumer products every time we blink. This forum - with all the showing off we all do! ;o) - keeps alive that passion, admiration and respect for great craftsmanship by the 19th century makers and by the many many contemporary makers, many of whom chat on this forum; not to forget either the repairers and restorers.
Thalatta
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I bought a 6-key flute from a maker in Galway whose name rhymes with Wren Datsun. It's flippin' fantastic. I waited 8 long months to get it. It doesn't say Olwell on the barrel but I never look at the barrel while I'm playing it.

Kirk
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Kirk B wrote:I bought a 6-key flute from a maker in Galway whose name rhymes with Wren Datsun. It's flippin' fantastic.
Thanks for that. I've been wondering how good Ben Slauson's instruments are. :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Kirk B wrote:I bought a 6-key flute from a maker in Galway whose name rhymes with Wren Datsun. It's flippin' fantastic.
Thanks for that. I've been wondering how good Ben Slauson's instruments are. :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Things to consider:
1. It's a Rudall-esque design so if you really have to have a Pratten then...
2. It takes a well developed embouchure to play. Not as easy to pick up and play as an Olwell if you're not used to it.
3. Once you get it right, it screams and the upper octave is just sweet!

Cheers,

Kirk
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Make a recording of this flute; would love to hear the screamin' and sweetness.
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

Akiba wrote:Make a recording of this flute; would love to hear the screamin' and sweetness.
I could do that but you already know what it sounds like. I doubt that I could do it the justice that Harry does in the very sound clips that you posted several months ago. :) I got a mind like a steel trap, I do.