Visiting London, any flute collections there that can be...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Visiting London, any flute collections there that can be...

Post by Thalatta »

I'm going to London for work but would have time to visit museums or things like that: is there anywhere in the city where I might be able to see some very nice antique flutes, a flute collection perhaps in a museum, in London?
Thalatta
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Visiting London, any flute collections there that can be...

Post by jemtheflute »

The Carse Collection at The Horniman Museum is the main/best one - and free! They also hold the Boosey & Hawkes Collection, but I don't know if/how much of that is (yet) on public display/at the main site. Highly recommended.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Also the Royal College of Music.

The V&A had some instruments on long-term display but announced recently that they were closing that exhibition, so I don't know the current status of that.

If you have time for a quick trip to Oxford, make sure to see the Bate Collection.

Terry
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, and there are sessions...... ;-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

jemtheflute wrote:They also hold the Boosey & Hawkes Collection, but I don't know if/how much of that is (yet) on public display/at the main site. Highly recommended.
From their site.
The Horniman Museum wrote:The Boosey & Hawkes Instrument Collection is currently housed off-site at the Horniman Museum's Study Collection Centre. Instruments from the collection will be featured in an exhibition on Boosey & Hawkes and wind instrument manufacture in Britain due to open in the music gallery in February 2007. In the meantime, instruments in the Boosey & Hawkes Collection can be viewed by appointment. Please contact Dr. Bradley Strauchen, Deputy Keeper of Musical Instruments. The Adam Carse Collection of over 325 historic wind instruments is currently on display in the gallery and includes a number of instruments made by Distin, Boosey & Co. and Hawkes & Son.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks a lot Jem and Terry. Unfortunately the Royal College of Music AND the V & A instruments museums are closed for refurbishment. Grrrrrr... Anywhere I could just see a Rudall and Rose or a nice Boosey PRatten in London city center?
Shane
Thalatta
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Anywhere I could just see a Rudall and Rose or a nice Boosey PRatten in London city center?" Thalatta.

Session at the Porterhouse, Covent Garden, on Sunday afternoon around 15.00 if it's still on. Andrew P could be there and he has a very nice R&R.
Sam_T
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sam_T »

Porterhouse session starts at 17:30 these days, and although I don't think I know Andrew P I've never seen anyone down there with a R&R. But it's a friendly session, so come along for a tune anyway!
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Jem, do they have Rudalls or Prattens in the Horniman? And anything else interesting flutewise? I'll be tied for time so just want to make sure it's worth it!

Everyone else, thanks for the invite to the session, but I won't be there until Monday night, leaving on Tuesday, so won't be able to make it. Sounds really fun though.
Thanks, Shane
Thalatta
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I can't remember the catalogue! I was last there about 14 years ago. But it is a very significant collection of woodwind with a good many flutes of all types. Well worth the trip south of the river if you have time.

I must say I don't quite understand what you hope to gain from looking at a Rudall or Pratten in a glass case that you place such an emphasis on that. Meeting one at a session is both more likely and more worthwhile, I'd guess, if I have the right sense of what you really seek. Looking at the collection is fascinating, though.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Yes, what's the point in seeing a flute if you can't play it or have someone to play it? IMO obviously...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

I know what you guys mean. It's just that I live in France, and don't know anyone in the sessions I've been to who has a Rudall or a Pratten, so I thought London museums might do the thing. Of course, looking at one isn't as good as trying it out, but looking can be nice too. That's all. Thanks for the suggestions!
Thalatta
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Sure. I do think it is well worth looking and that there is much to learn even when one can't touch, let alone play. But don't go and be disappointed if you don't see one of those specific things - go enjoy what is to be seen, profit therefrom (there are relatively few other places where there is so much to see) and make the most of it.

FWIW, flute shop All Flutes Plus seem to have one R&R (?frankenflute) on their books currently - you'd even be able to try that! Just Flutes have nothing relevant listed at present, nor does Tony Bingham.

I'm by no means in-the-know about London sessions, but from what info I do have, I'm not aware of a Monday night sesh, alas. How about putting out (new thread) an appeal to any London area C&F members who own an original R&R or Pratten who might be willing to meet you Monday evening?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Hi, I'm not going to drool on or stalk any Rudalls, don't worry! I just love looking at nice flutes. Thanks for the All flutes plus idea, that's perfect. They have two Fentums too. I'll give my thoughts when I get back. Thanks again guys.
Thalatta
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Report!? ;-)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums