Regional styles and representative players

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jäger
antispam: No

Regional styles and representative players

Post by Jäger »

I did a search but nothing quite matched what I was looking for, and the closest match was six years dead.

Anyhow, I've just started to get a bit more serious about flute playing, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to a list of the different regional styles of flute playing, their characteristics and prominent players? I'm starting to find my way around the flute, but right now I'm just drifting with no goal in sight, so I thought I'd listen to as much varied styles of playing as possible to help find myself as a flute player, see what type of playing really excites me the most. That speaks most directly to me, if you will.

Cheers
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Regional styles and representative players

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

bedtime, Denny.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I remember a distant time when they were the same thing.... far distant :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote:I remember a distant time when they were the same thing.... far distant :D
Are you quite sure about that, Denny? The remembering bit?
Could be that flippantly frequenting the nether regions of too many worm-cans has.... taken its toll?
Hey, fancy meeting you here! :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Matt Molloy said once: "There is two styles, people that play well and people that don´t"
S.
Denny

Post by Denny »

jemtheflute wrote:
Denny wrote:I remember a distant time when they were the same thing.... far distant :D
Are you quite sure about that, Denny? The remembering bit?
Could be that flippantly frequenting the nether regions of too many worm-cans has.... taken its toll?
Hey, fancy meeting you here! :D
sure I remember, it was the late '60s :tomato:
crickett

Post by crickett »

I think the Wooden Flute Obsession CDs are great for seeing what type of playing really excites you. If you don't have any of those, I would recommend picking one or two up.

The site already mentioned by Kevin is a good place to start if you are interested in regional styles. This may also help, though it is broader than flute: http://www.rocheviolins.com/html/tradit ... music.html
That page also has a link to some videos about regional styles (also broader than flute).

I am no expert and so I cannot vouch for the information on the site. But I thought it might be helpful to you in any event.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I'm no scholar, but I've thought of and seen these folks written up as "Roscommon" fluters:

Matt Molloy
Kevin Crawford
John Wynne
Michael McGoldrick

While these folks I associate more with the Northern Irish style:

Harry Bradley
Conal O'Grada

I certainly sounds to me like those two groups make up two distinct styles and seem most prevalent to me on CD's and in good players I've heard live.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't actually hold much stock in the idea that there are 'regional' styles. I think there are styles established by a very small number of people, that sometimes get associated with the areas they come from. Conal (who may be along any minute) is from Cork, isn't he?
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Yes, no doubt I may be totally wrong in placing O'Grada in "Northern Ireland", but his style does similar to Harry's. I'm mostly exposing my thoughts on the subject to be either confirmed or corrected. I'd really like to know. In the article sighted above, the author puts Harry in the "Sligo" style category, but he's not from Sligo, so I have no idea what's what. Perhaps this categorizing thing by regional style is fruitless and futile.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

I just googled 'open and closed piping style'. Didn't get much but this bit from Nial Keegan could be useful to you.
http://www.inbhear.ie/volume-1/n-keegan ... -menu.html
I have to say trying to explain styles works with with words alone doesn’t work well for me. There are some sound tracks though which help a lot.

Something that helps a lot is to gather recordings of different players playing the same tune and listen to them in close succession. Hear the different phrasing, variations, tone attack, speed, note lengths etc. I’d recommend doing this solely with flute and maybe whistle players. Then, maybe, separately with players of other instruments. Solo (or close to) recordings are easier to discern styles with generally. I'd say regional styles tend to be most apparent on fiddle so include this.