FS/FT: Hammy Hamilton 8-key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Irish Marine
antispam: No

FS/FT: Hammy Hamilton 8-key

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi Folks,

This is a reluctant post and a part of me hopes it doesn't work out! :)

I have for sale or trade an 8-key Hammy with post-mounted keys, fully-lined head, and adjustable cap-cork assembly. Comes with Hammy's fitted case. It's a gorgeous flute, made of blackwood, that has the distinct Hammy sound. Keys are extremely easy to play, especially the low C# and C.

Reason for sale is my family is moving and I need some cash. Purchase price new is 3500 Euros (plus shipping), which is roughly US$5000. I'll sell it outright and will accept reasonable offers. I'll include shipping is U.S. but to EU we'd have to work something out that's agreeable to both of us.

I'd also consider a partial trade for a 6-key flute. We can work out what your 6-key is worth and settle on a difference. Well, that's it. PM if you're interested.

~Sean
Irish Marine

Re: FS/FT: Hammy Hamilton 8-key

Post by Irish Marine »

I neglected to mention that I will accept a trade for a keyless as well, or another 8-key of lesser value, and cash. I will also accept reasonable offers to purchase it outright. Thanks.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

8) BUMP
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Bump...will consider offers. Thanks.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Hello Folks,

Sorry I've been away awhile. My family just finished our move to a different home in a different town. Whole new ballgame moving with children...it was so much easier as a bachelor! Anyway, thanks for all of the inquiries. The flute is still available. Still willing to sell outright or trade for a keyless or 6-key with payment for the difference. Will accept reasonable offers. Thanks so much. PM if interested.

~Sean
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi Folks,

I will accept offers and/or trades for keyless or a 6-key (with payment for difference). Looking for around $4000, shipping included in states.
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

It has a lined head? I've never seen one before on a Hamilton. But I don't get out much.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Father Emmet wrote:It has a lined head? I've never seen one before on a Hamilton. But I don't get out much.
Yes, he does say fully-lined. Usually Hammys have half-lined heads.
Hup

Post by Hup »

Was thinking of buying, but the money's not there now :-(
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

How does the lined head effect the Hammy sound we're used to?
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

I asked Hammy (when I saw that his own cocus flute was fully lined) a few month ago about the difference between half and fully lined heads and he answered that for him it doesn't change the sound. And indeed, Hammy's fully-lined flute sounded like a half-lined, I didn't noticed any difference before I saw it was a lined head.
I know that there are other flute makers who don't think the same and prefer one of both options, I'm sure that it's something which may have been already discussed on the forum before.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi All,

I found the fully-lined head took a little more getting used to. Not sure why, but it did. Once I was used to it I found the sound different to my ear, more able to cut through. Not sure if that would hold true for someone standing across the room from me. In reality, I probably sound the same on one of Hammy's fully-lined or partially-lined heads. I just happen to prefer fully-lined heads. Either way, he makes great flutes! Tough, tough sell :(
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I haven't played a fully-lined Hammy but once had a Copley here with 3 heads; lined, half-lined and unlined. I thought the lining variations made noticible differences in the sound. The full lining was the brightest. The unlined was the most complex/warmest. Half-lined was in between. I preferred one extreme or the other to the compromise.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I haven't played a Hammy with a fully lined head, and (FWIW) my impression is that fully lined headjoints
do tend to 'cut through' better, all other things being equal. This has several times been observed on this board
over the years.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Hi Folks,

Couple deals fell through. Still available.