Q: For GRAY (and other) Tipple flute owners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Q: For GRAY (and other) Tipple flute owners

Post by MichaelRS »

I am ordering one of Doug Tipple flutes . I think I have settled on a

3 piece.
Gray.
Small blow hole.
No lip plate.
Offset fingering.

So my main question for this thread is:
On his site Doug points out that the gray PVC flute is "softer" than the white and is more subject to scratching. Assuming one is not going spelunking with the flute strapped exposed on ones back, how much of a "problem" has that really been for those of you who own the gray?
I mean, if it falls off the kitchen counter, is it likely to pick up a Grand Canyon sized divot in it or what?

As a sidebar;
Also, see anything wrong with any of my choices above. I chose the small blow hole and no lip plate becasue of all the praises I read about this version for and from beginners from past post. Though some were 5+ years old.

Lastly, I also read about the flutes having once come with the option of being wrapped in wood grain contact paper. But not much was said beyond that. How does that work/look over all and long term? And can it be easily removed?
Not really thinking about doing that, but was just wondering. Doug doesn't say anything about it on his site, so i assume he's not offering that anymore...if he ever did.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Q: For GRAY (and other) Tipple flute owners

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Michael, you seem to have a lot of questions. I can answer one of them, though. Whatever you do, don't take one of my flutes in the gray pvc spelunking anywhere in Orange County, California. You have been warned.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Grey is fine. Its not that soft, you have nothing to worry about.

Don't even think about the contact paper. You have to let the PVC breathe...

If you're getting the 3 piece, as I mentioned in our off-line discussion, I don't think you need the offset holes.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Two Words: 4 Warned!

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

from my experience, i would recommend getting the lip plate. what it does is more closely resemble the height of the embouchure cut you would get from a flute made out of wood. if you ever want to make the switch... i found that i couldn't switch back and forth between any of my other flutes and my Tipple (without the lip plate) so i sold it... :(

?

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
drewr

Post by drewr »

I have both white and gray versions of Doug's fine flutes and I can't tell any difference in the way they get scratched, not that they really see much wear and tear I guess. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your gray D-flute. It sounds just like the one I started on (although mine has a lip plate). Don't forget the wedge. And forget about contact paper; the gray makes a nice-looking flute.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't know if there are any caves in Orange County, California, or not, but where I went to college, there were a lot of wild caves, and I went in a lot of them. In the karst topography of southern Indiana the rock conditions are just right for cave formation. With nothing more than carbide lamps and hay rope our small group of college spelunkers explored caves on the weekends. Some of the caves were challenging, requiring you to squirm on your stomach in the muck for long distances, while at the same time the bats were going and coming in the same narrow passageway. It's a minor miracle that we all made it out alive. After a close call, I stopped spelunking and found other less dangerous ways to spend my weekends. I should add that my high school science teacher didn't make it out alive. He and another avid spelunker were killed in the same region of caves when a sudden rainstorm filled the cave they were exploring with water.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

I don't know. In my youth, in the late 70 thur mid 80s, I've been above and below terra firma with both sky diving and ship wreck diving. But some of the stuff people do... Like going hiking on Mt. Rainer in mid winter. Then their families wonder why they are lost in an avalanche. Some of it i just don't get.

Better to sit in my den, learing to play my Tipple flute.
jlfinkels
Tell us something.: How doth the little crocodile
     Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
     On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin,
     How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
     With gently smiling jaws!

Post by jlfinkels »

If anyone can take a Tipple flute into a cave and make it sing, it's Michael. The potential for cool sound effects boggles the mind

:boggle:
Insanity takes its toll. Please have exact change.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I don't agree that the lip plate is a good choice for a brand new player, the flute without the lip plate is much easier to play. The lip plate does provide a greater depth, which can be exploited by a more experienced player, but having played and evaluated both, I'd suggest going with the non-lip plate version.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i haven't actually had a chance to try one with a lip-plate yet, so i'd say Michael knows better than me. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

theres a market here for a detachable lip plate.

also rock climbing > caving, easier access for when the ambulance is inevitably called.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

chris_coreline wrote:theres a market here for a detachable lip plate.

also rock climbing > caving, easier access for when the ambulance is inevitably called.

When i went sky diving my then GF said she'd be standing by with a Dixie cup...just in case.
:shock: