Joint Preference?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Given the option, what is your joint preference?

Bound with cotton
29%
Corked
71%

Total votes: 34

brokish
antispam: No

Joint Preference?

Post by brokish »

:-?
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Joint Preference?

Post by jemtheflute »

I think perhaps you should have said "thread" in your options - not all threads are cotton and this thread ( :D ) will now doubtless divert into a discussion of the dis/advantages of various materials - cotton (waxed or not), silk, flax/linen, synthetics......

I have voted for "cotton", but have no major objection to cork - actually, I'd go with what the lapping bed on the flute's tenons was designed for - if it is ridged/"combed", one ought to use thread as that was the maker's intention/expectation; if it is smooth, it was meant for cork.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

no option for "bomber" :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

No Denny. If ZigZag was meant to be a choice, it would have been listed.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Linen and Nylon is a better choice than cotton.

The problem with cork is that this requires a professional to adjust it when it becomes too loose or too tight. It also requires more reinforcement or thickness at the sockets. I'd rather folks be able to adjust the flute themselves which is why I go with nylon thread. User friendly.
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

If you were to buy a clarinet or oboe, say for over £10,000 apiece, they'd invariably have cork as a tenon seal.

H
http://www.box.net/shared/fb97k2ndig
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Cork, thread always moves away from his position, and I don't like dealing with it...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I have two flutes for many, many years and after wrestling with the thread on both, had them both corked. My eight-key was always cork and has never needed attention. I much prefer the cork.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

Hemp is the best stuff for joints.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

jemtheflute wrote: ... - actually, I'd go with what the lapping bed on the flute's tenons was designed for - if it is ridged/"combed", one ought to use thread as that was the maker's intention/expectation; if it is smooth, it was meant for cork.
With all due respect Jem; I don't think that is always the case. The cork on my Martin Doyle flute fell off a couple years ago and the tenon is combed underneath. It also says on Terry McGee's site that his flutes come with cork joints but under the cork the tenon is combed if thread is preferred, something along those lines.

I am more of a cork man myself as it is much more stable. As I said the cork fell off of my Doyle flute and since this is my only D flute at the moment I have not sent it to be re-corked. I have obviously been using thread, which I find doesn't always seal properly until it gets a bit of moisture.
Dominic Allan

Post by Dominic Allan »

All modern woodwinds have combed tenons and are corked (ok someone will find an exception!)
I prefer cork but thread is better if the instrument is kept assembled for long periods ie: bagpipe tuning slides.
I like the look of thread on R+R type flutes , it just looks right to me.
I use cobblers thread, it's called "yellow hemp" in the piping world, comes in other colours too.
eilam

Post by eilam »

i like threads, for the ability to change the fit and looks as well.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

One is as good as the other if you treat them both decently. Preference may largely depend on which you have become used to. I used to prefer cork until I started using thread on both my flutes and whistles, on the basis that it's readily available and can be more easily adjusted to tighten or loosen a joint - or completely replaced - by the average flute/whistle owner. But in general, I'd be happy with either.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I would say thread on the antique flutes, as it helps support the tenons. Cork is fine if the the socket can support it, some antique flute makers like Monzani lined the sockets with silver, to support cork. One problem that happens with cork, the over zealous flute oiler, will slop a lot of oil on the cork tenon and loosen the glue that holds on the cork.
The down side of thread, if it is wound to tight, it can cause distortion in the bore at the tenons.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have a strong preference for cork. I've played woodwinds for decades, and the only problem I've ever had with cork was a plastic Bundy clarinet when I was a kid. My band teacher repaired a cork, then it promptly fell off and had to be repaired again. I have a Cameron traverso with extremely thin cork; I suspect this was designed to have thread, which would be more appropriate.

The thing about cork is that it's forgiving. No need to take a little off when it's damp and add a little when it's dry. The cork basically does this for you. I have cork on a few boxwood flutes (the king of damp vs dry), and it's never been a problem.

I did have one flute that became loose after a couple of years. Per the maker's instructions, I just gently heated the cork with a match, and it was fine after that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.