Pewter plug care?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pewter plug care?

Post by sturob »

Hey!

Wow, it's been like a bamillion bajillion years since I posted anything. How's tricks, people?

Is there anything special I'm supposed to be doing with pewter footjoint plugs, as far as care goes? Little bit of oil to help them seal if they need it? Take them off and clean the hole/plate every so often?

How much/how little?

I ask because I was browsing around and saw that Grinter Bb blackwood/silver for sale, and the seller had posted that he'd taken the plugs off for a cleaning, and I've never done that.

Thanks,

Stuart
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Pewter plug care?

Post by Rob Sharer »

Welcome back!

Some will claim that plugs should need no oil, but I find that even fresh-made ones by a master of the trade still respond better with a dab of 3-in-1.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "taken them off for a cleaning" is code for "can't be bothered with the bloody things"!

Bepoq?

Cheers,

Rob
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

If you oil them, (which some prefer) the oil will gradually gather dust etc. and go gungy and sticky, so you'll need to wipe it off all surfaces and renew at reasonably frequent intervals. If you don't oil, over longer time there may be some minor metal tarnish/patination/corrosion which a gentle polish (with e.g. metal wadding) will remove and restore the smoothness of the contact surfaces to ensure a good seal and no sticking. That's regarding the actual pewters and their contact plates.... but I think the Grinter owner in question may have meant that he took them off to polish the silver keys themselves rather than the pewter plugs (though it's kinda hard not to do the whole caboodle!) - 'cos of course, silver tarnishes. I polish all the silver on my R&R at intervals. It is much easier and safer to take the keys off to do that, though not the rings!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Just as a single data point, I just went and had a look at the plugs on my Wylde. They get a regular drop of oil; otherwise, the lifestyle of this flute includes being left out on a table most of the time, dusted over with sanding detritus when I'm a'working at that table, occasionally banged into a sock for transport, and of course drooled upon and manipulated by yours truly.

The net result? The plugs look clean as a whistle. They have gently oxidised all over, having started life the bright silver of freshly-turned pewter, which process the oil seems neither to have impeded nor hastened along. There is no residue of any sort on the plugs, even though you might well expect to find some given the facts of its scattered little life.

I'd have to do some research to be sure, but I'm thinking that machine oil of the type I use on my plugs isn't going to go sticky on me in my natural lifespan.

Rob
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I have no opinion on this, but I've had my flute for many years and have never done anything to the plugs. C# and C play as easily as any other note.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I find my pewters seal fine and I don't mess with them except when I take all the keys off and polish 'em once a year.
I was told that oil was some times good to make them quieter if I wished by the maker... but I like the clatter.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Yeah, I haven't oiled them that I can remember and they play well, and I do enjoy the clackety clack.

I just thought maybe I should be doing something more. Meh.

How do you take the pins out, do you have rubber-shod needle-nosed pliers? I need me a set of them. I ought to take the keys off several instruments to clean them up a bit. My hands are kinda big and putting the pins back in scares me.

Stuart
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You need a pair of parallel pliers, Stuart - and you can round off the sharp corners of the "nose" to avoid/minimise and marking of the wood.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
sturob

Post by sturob »

Who's Steve?

Stuart
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Fibre.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

sturob wrote:Yeah, I haven't oiled them that I can remember and they play well, and I do enjoy the clackety clack.

I just thought maybe I should be doing something more. Meh.

How do you take the pins out, do you have rubber-shod needle-nosed pliers? I need me a set of them. I ought to take the keys off several instruments to clean them up a bit. My hands are kinda big and putting the pins back in scares me.

Stuart
Hey Stu, just get some needle nose plyers for removing the pins, I sometimes just pull them with my fingers... (or are you changing your name to Steve?) :moreevil:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Putting the pins back in can be fiddly. I put the spoon end exactly over its seat then keeping a finger on that use another digit to push the key down into its fully depressed position. Then the pin should slide home easily. Mostly this works fine but there are a couple on my Rudall that have me muttering as you have to release the key a tiny fraction.