Tensing Up and Squeezing Too Hard

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JayDoc

Tensing Up and Squeezing Too Hard

Post by JayDoc »

Trying to play a tune with some very interesting articulation and slliding notes, Leon's Waltz, by Loretto Reid (beautiful tune, esp. as played, imho), I had a "duh...ahaa" moment. I was playing a lovely KDJ, new to me, very nice modestly priced flute, and the low notes are a bit soft (compared to great high notes). Since I'm a somewhat beginning player, I hold the flute in a tighter grasp than necessary. and the quieter the tone, the harder I squeezed. Then I noticed that and I relaxed enough to hold down the notes (hold the air in) but not "squeeze", so my fingers go less deep in the holes, and it improved the tone immensely. I could more easily get a nice deep tne on the low E and D. Of course, it makes perfect sense. All you fine makers go to great lengths to get a perfect hole size, depth and angle, and one can shove the old finger tips or pads down there into the windway and muck it all up! Duh...A light touch let's the flute sound like its maker no doubt intended, and makes bending and sliding notes and other articulations easier too. My guess is the physics of it might suggest that it means more on the low notes (or maybe at the extreme ends of the flute's range??), but it seemed to help all over the range of the flute.
So yet another good reason to relax when practicing, as noted by many others on the site (and probably in Grey Larson's book, now that I think of it).
Best,
Jaydoc
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tensing Up and Squeezing Too Hard

Post by jemtheflute »

Sensible self-observation, JayDoc, to whch I would add from both self-observation and from teaching experience that, when one realises one is not sealing tone-holes properly with one's fingers and that consequent leaks are weakening tone, the natural tendency is to squeeze harder..... which rarely helps to seal the holes and has all kinds of other deleterious effects (cramp/stress problems, inaccuracy, lack of mobility etc.).

The "cure" is to relax and to examine carefully your overall holding set-up and to ensure that the pads of your fingers are falling accurately on the holes. Even proficient players often have to make such assessments when picking up a strange instrument or swapping between different sizes.

You may be right that flesh belling down into a hole with extreme pressure may affect tuning a little, but I do not think it will dampen tone-strength in the way you suggest - certainly not in a full size flute - there's too much bore-space for that. Minute leaks around marginally misplaced fingers are almost certainly the sole cause of your problem (assuming there are no structural leaks in the flute), and squeezing won't cure them, may even exacerbate them.... whereas relaxing actually helps you to feel the holes better and may effect a cure on its own. Relaxing can also help with how you address your embouchure - a very tense posture can upset that too, which surely will not aid tone!

You're at least half-way there. Now just examine your hold and overall posture and see how your fingers actually fall on the holes and what you can do by way of posture adjustment to improve that. It's an old hobby horse of mine, but it constantly amazes me when teaching what a difference a few mm shift of the R thumb can make!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:You may be right that flesh belling down into a hole with extreme pressure may affect tuning a little, but I do not think it will dampen tone-strength in the way you suggest - certainly not in a full size flute - there's too much bore-space for that.
I think that's right. I've not tested this on flute, only whistle (including flute-sized low D). But I'm unable to make any discernible difference in tone or intonation by pressing more or less flesh into the holes, using different parts of the fingers, etc. I think you'd need very flabby fingers extending well into the bore.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

I've confirmed key pad leaks by temporarily replacing them with blue tack. Sometimes I'll put a bit too much and too deep, as evidenced by a short worm of putty upon removal, and yet this did not seem to negatively affect tone in an appreciable way.

Grip pressure may affect the angle at which the air column hits the labium or the pressure at which the flute contacts the lips. I strive for finger accuracy and minimal grip pressure.
JayDoc

Post by JayDoc »

Thanks all (especially Jem and M31, for the teaching tips). Maybe I'm nuts but it sure seemed to help the low notes sound better and stronger last night, though my fingers are not flabby :>) Maybe I had been squeezing REALLY hard and my little fingers were poking down in the holes? Whatever...relaxing seems like good advice on any instrument when possible for a lot of reasons (e.g. holding the string of the guitar as lightly as necessary behind a fret--press it down hard and the note goes sharp--I realize that a "hole" different instrument, physics-wise...) My fingers on this keyboard are cramping--I think I'm tensing up, trying to type fast!
Best,
Jaydoc
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Don't forget that a tense grip can mean you're also smashing the flute into your lip, which in my experience kind of squashes the ringing, resonant tone I'm after. I'm assuming it has something to do with dampening vibrations but yeah, that's just an assumption.

A note about sealing toneholes -- if you're ever in a session with a "geezer" player, you may notice them licking or otherwise dampening their fingers before they play. In the same vein, I've seen pipers put some sort of hand creme or bag balm on their fingers (I wouldn't recommend combining the creme and the finger-licking, though :shock: ). Anyway, after watching a piper whose playing I really admire use a little bag balm on his fingers I decided to give it a try on my chanter, and the resulting "finger seal" I got over the toneholes really made a big difference. Now I use bag balm or at least hand moisturizer (plant-based, of course!) fairly regularly when I play my pipes, and even though I haven't noticed quite as dramatic a difference when I go to pick up the flute with residual pipe goo on my fingers, I have noticed some difference.

I don't know what this has to do with anything either, but there you go. Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

you can wipe the offending finger behind yer ear lobe (or side of nose),

unlike nose picking these can be done with discretion

YMMV due to personal hygiene and body chemistry :puppyeyes:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cork

Post by Cork »

@ JayDoc
Cathy Wilde wrote:Don't forget that a tense grip can mean you're also smashing the flute into your lip, which in my experience kind of squashes the ringing, resonant tone I'm after...
...Good luck!
Yes, tension is bad.

Tension is so bad that there is a traditional way to stand while playing a flute, to thwart tension, head to toe and beyond.

Generally, the best playing occurs when a flute is held so gently as to nearly drop the flute.

But do not actually drop it!