playing flute outside

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Achill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

playing flute outside

Post by Achill »

Hi friends,
I live in upstate NY and have been asked to play at an outside function, park-like setting. I have never played outside before. Should I have concerns for my blackwood flute? It's been in the 80's here recently.

flutefry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: playing flute outside

Post by flutefry »

I had the pleasure of playing at a festival last year when it was 38C/99F and likely 5% humidity max since it was semi-desert. I live where it rarely gets above 25C/80F, and the humidity is usually greater than 50%. No problems, but I did oil and grease the joints of my flute before I went, kept it out of the sun, didn't leave it in the car etc.

I play outside a lot, at temps from 12C/55F upward. I played my expensive grenadilla clarinet in a marching band in all weathers, and as this was when I was a teenager, I paid zero attention to instrument care. I think the instruments are more robust than we give them credit for.

ON the other hand, it's wind that can make it hard to impossible to play outdoors. As there is no reflected sound usually, it also seems that your tone/power has vanished, which can be disconcerting. I had to play outdoors exclusively for a month, and when I can back home, my tone was much improved. Hmmm.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I would also think that you will want to try practicing outside.
Get use to the sound and what wind can do.

Good luck.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I recently played my blackwood McGee at an outdoor event where the temperature was hovering around 100, the humidity was less than 20%, and the wind was blowing. I oiled it well the day before and tried to keep it out of direct sun, it was fine but my playing suffered, mostly because of playing against the wind. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about warming up the flute before playing!
huffin' and puffin'
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

yeah good idea, practice playing outside; watch for wind and surrounding acoustics. when i busked i found some nice spots. also i found higher pitched flutes like e,f,g,a,bflat seem to work better ymmv. good luck and have fun.
Achill

Post by Achill »

Thanks to everyone for their insights and tips, very helpful:)

Matt
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I've played a few outdoor gigs.

If it's dry, windy, and hot, it's tough.

Can you get away with playing a whistle if necessary?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.