I'd like your guys' opinions on some of these flutes please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: I'd like your guys' opinions on some of these flutes please

Post by chas »

And an all-wood Olwell will (I think) still come in under the OP's $1000 limit. I've played at least three of them, and I've yet to come across a finer flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
karl

Post by karl »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:I'd like to suggest a few makers to add to your list, if I may:

- Patrick Olwell
- Martin Doyle
- Bryan Byrne
- Hammy Hamilton
- Eamonn Cotter
- Gilles LeHart
- Chris Wilkes

I've played and owned a lot of good flutes and I were in your shoes I'll tell you what I would do:

1) Place an order with Patrick/Aaron Olwell for an unkeyed D flute in blackwood.
2) Spend the next year learning/practicing the whistle.
3) Be surprised and overjoyed when Patrick calls you a year from now to tell you that your flute is ready.
4) Receive your Olwell flute and begin a love-affair with the only flute you'll ever need.
5) Lust after Olwell flutes in Eb, C and Bb, keyed Olwell flutes, and hundreds of other kinds of flutes..........

:) Chris
Can you realy get an Olwell in a year? I thought his waiting list was something ridiculous like 12-15 years?
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

karl wrote:
Can you realy get an Olwell in a year? I thought his waiting list was something ridiculous like 12-15 years?
Unkeyed ones.
flutefry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I have two friends here who ordered keyless Olwells, and both arrived in less than a year.
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Achill

Post by Achill »

I was interested in a keyless D Ormiston a couple years ago and contacted him through email. I can't say enough about the excellent (and prompt) communication I experieced while dealing with George, great guy and great flutes...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

karl wrote:
Can you really get an Olwell in a year? I thought his waiting list was something ridiculous like 12-15 years?
Yes, I'm pretty certain that you can still get an unkeyed Olwell in about a year, give or take. Just give Patrick/Aaron a call and ask them. I think that's about how long mine took, but that was 7 or 8 years ago now.

It does take quite some time to get a keyed flute. Mine took about 6 or 7 years, I think, but during that time I was more than happy with my unkeyed Olwell. The truth is that most people, including myself, have almost no need for keys on a flute, won't really know what to do with them once they've got them and probably won't use them much. I know there are plenty of players who do, but I think it's fair to say that most don't, including myself, due to the simple fact that something like 98% (a non-scientific number) of Irish tunes will play perfectly fine without them, which is one can go to a session and expect to play almost every tune with a simple D whistle. Still, having keys IS definitely nice and I'm glad I have a keyed flute.

Going back Olwell and the wait for flutes - the year wait for the unkeyed flute will fly right by and before you know it you'll have a beautiful and remarkable instrument. Yes it costs a little bit more than some other flutes (but not by much) and the wait may be a bit longer (but not by much) but once you have one you simply won't need another flute in that key ever again (unless you want keys).

I don't think it really makes much sense to buy a less expensive flute just because of the money "saved", only to lust after a more expensive flute and end up buying one a few years down the road anyway. Just save up a little more money and buy the flute you really want, love it, and you won't have to spend money on another one down the road.

Best,
Chris
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Sorry, not a lot to offer on choices between the flutes you have suggested, it's all subjective in the end and completely down to personal taste, but I do love this;
I've winnowed down a list of makers,
It's been a long time since I have heard the word 'winnow' used in conversation and even longer since seeing it in print. :thumbsup:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
karl

Post by karl »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:I'd like to suggest a few makers to add to your list, if I may:

- Patrick Olwell
- Martin Doyle
- Bryan Byrne
- Hammy Hamilton
- Eamonn Cotter
- Gilles LeHart
- Chris Wilkes

Chris (or anyone else), have you played all the flutes you've listed? I'm particularly interested in how a Doyle compares to an Olwell?

Karl.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Just to throw out some more names,

Johnnie Gallagher
Windward Flutes (made by Forbes Christie)
Sam Murray

The thing that has worked for me was to ask all the local flute players if I could try their instrument for more than a quick puff or two. Really try to get familiar with what is ergonomically comfortable and (if you have advanced enough on something like a tipple) which one works with your embouchure. There is no "best" flute - there is a flute that works well for the player.

Many people in my neck of the woods play a certain maker's flute for the very good reason that he is local. I find these flutes difficult to play - NOT because they are poor flutes (They are excellent and well-regarded) but because the flutes I've learned on have very different qualities. If a flute is in tune, has decent volume, very good intonation, and a professional embouchure cut, it will work. Most of the flutes listed here have those attributes.

/aimless ramble
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

karl wrote:

- Patrick Olwell
- Martin Doyle
- Bryan Byrne
- Hammy Hamilton
- Eamonn Cotter
- Gilles LeHart
- Chris Wilkes

Chris (or anyone else), have you played all the flutes you've listed? I'm particularly interested in how a Doyle compares to an Olwell?

Karl.
Martin Doyle flutes are lovely, extraordinarily good for what they are (two piece) and for their price,
but very few flutes are going to be as good as Olwells. Hard to deny that Patrick O is some sort of genius.