Newbie with a question for other ladies who play.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CelticHarpie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Newbie with a question for other ladies who play.

Post by CelticHarpie »

I have a rather odd question for the ladies on the list (ok, this could apply to some of the men as well).

I'm finding that my make-up is rubbing off my chin and onto my flute!

I purchased a beautiful used McGee Rudall in blackwood and it's very noticeable. I clean the flute off after every time I play, but I'm worried I might damage the wood.

Does anyone else run into this problem? Any thoughts or suggestions? (For what it's worth, I don't wear alot of make-up and the stuff I use is the powdery mineral stuff that's popular right now).
Gabriel

Re: Newbie with a question for other ladies who play.

Post by Gabriel »

Not a woman here, but a very manly (and stupid) answer: don't use make-up when playing!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :) To bring in something that might be useful: I once used a piece of 3M foil (the stuff you use for protecting cell phone displays) to protect my chin as I was reacting a bit to the wood of a flute I owned. You can buy that stuff on ebay or at your local cell phone shop. Just cut an appropiate length off, add a little bight at the location where the "near" side of the embouchure hole will be, and stick it onto the flute. It will protect the wood, and your chin, too. And it comes off nicely should you decide to remove it. Just add a bit of oil afterwards.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

I believe John Skelton uses a bit of crazy glue smoothened out around the embouchure where the chin/lip would be placed to avoid allergies to cocus. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! Would that work in this case? If you do it, be sure it's dry before playing :o
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Well, if you grew a beard, it would solve the problem, and heck, you could probably ditch the makeup then too! :wink:

And, I like Gabriel's idea about the plastic-it's something that isn't permanent (just place it on the surface and it sticks), and easily replaceable if lost, and probably won't bother your makeup as much either (won't wear it off as much as the wood does).

Barry
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A simple way to protect the wood is to get some clear packing tape, readily
available, and put a strip of it horizontally under the embouchure hole--it's
wide enough that it will cover the place where your chin rests. Also
it's virtually invisible and easily replaceable if ever you need to.

Put it so that it just creases the bottom of the hole.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Wow, guys ... you're no ladies! :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

One more man comment. I have always had a beard. Before the flute, I used to shave off the part of the beard called the "soul patch". When I learned the flute, I found out between beard trimmings, that it was annoying to not have the soul patch so I quit shaving it off. We sacrifice for our music.

Maybe a more mature woman could make you a flute cozy.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I can't imagine that make-up would hurt the flute in any way. Just clean it off with a bit of oil after you play.

Clark

PS: Sorry, I too am not a woman. Although having been a nurse for 30+ years I know more about this kind of thing than I probably should.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I don't think a lady is going to answer your question. Perhaps you should have asked for help from a woman. You know how sensitive the double x'ers can be. Seriously though, I think your fishing in the wrong pond. You might have to ask this question to make-up ladies. Some of them think make-up is a science. They wear lab coats at the make-up counter.
白飞梦
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

are transvestites considered ladies? if so there are a few members who have suddenly become eligible to reply...
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

I don't think i'll be much of a help to ya, as i don't wear face makeup. But if i may put my two cents in, I really don't know what to tell you other than to not wear it, or rub it off your chin quickly before you play. I can't imagine that it's good for the wood.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Well how could it hurt? It is mild and non-toxic. The powder stuff would get into the pours of the wood, but I imagine a little of your favorite bore oil would take care of that (at least as far as surface appearance goes). If some stays deeper in the pours...well so what?

Clark
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Well, not all makeup foundations are mild and non toxic. But ok, ok you're right. I missed the part where she said she uses mineral makeup.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Here is one more suggestion for you. I'm truly trying to be helpful here. Why don't you write an e mail to the company that manufactures your brand of make-up and present this problem to them? See what suggestions they may have and if they may have some additional product that may act as a sealant (OK, I have not clue what I'm talking about here.) but you might ask for a sample to see if it works. hint hint.
白飞梦