Dixon Polymer one piece flute in D, Good for beginners?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chris_coreline
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Dixon Polymer one piece flute in D, Good for beginners?

Post by chris_coreline »

Hello! im a whisteler taking a strole into the seedey world of cheep flutes so i dont spend a fortune on somthing i cant play.

i have settled on a Dixon Flute in D, the one piece, polymer, £25 version.

as a beginner, and a beginner warey of cheep instruments, what 'quirks' does this instrument have that i should be aware of, stuff that, if i know now, will stop me developing bad habits in the fututre?

feel absolutly free to de-rail this thread with recomendatyions for alternatives, however having spent more then i had planed on shiney whistles; money is absolutly an object! :P
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Dixon Polymer one piece flute in D, Good for beginners?

Post by plunk111 »

I haven't played the one-piece, but I used to have the three-piece (which is supposed to be better). I found it to be a little unforgiving for a newbie, but probably would be OK for an experienced fluter. I would HIGHLY recommend you go with a Tipple instead - it is the opposite - i.e. very forgiving and easy to get a good sound out of right away. It's a little more than 25 pounds, but you might be able to find a used one. My only recommendation would be to add the Fajardo wedge.

Added benefit - the Tipple is tunable.

Good luck in your quest!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

i'd definitely follow Pat's advice...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
pob

Post by pob »

This time last year I was a guitar player/bouzouki player who needed a D low whistle for a couple of tunes for a wedding gig. I opted for the Dixon polymer low D based on price, noticed that for a couple of quid more I could get the duo set with both the whistle and the flute head, so said, "what the heck?", even though I had no intention of really getting into the flute. (The duo Dixon with the flute head would be essentially the same as the one piece, but tuneable)

A couple of weeks of enjoyable messing with the flute head on the tube was enough to convince me of two things:
[1] I really wanted to learn the flute
[2] I needed a flute that was better suited to Irish music than the Dixon.

I upgraded almost immediately to an M&E (bought used from eBay) and haven't looked back.

I'm sure other folks here will give you better information than I can, and you obviously have to work within your budget, but I don't think the Dixon will get you very far beyond where it got me. That is, it might help you decide if you want to continue to learn to play flute or not. If you do, you'll most likely want to upgrade. If you don't, you won't have lost a stack of money.

(BTW, no disrespect intended towards Dixon instruments. I think they make some very nice instruments in their price range and I have a couple of their whistles. I just don't think that that particular flute is one of their better products, at least not for Irish music.)
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

thanks for all the advice, you have put the doubt in me!

i may still get the cheep one and then, if i like it, upgrade to somthing made from wood.
but i think that given i am unsure about how well i will adapt to it im not sure i can afford a big first instance purchace.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

If you just want to try something out at home, I can lend you an old wooden one that a friend lent me to have a look at (I could bring it down to the pub). It's a bit out of tune with itself, so you might not want to play it after a few days, but if you just want to try out your embachure and compare fingering against your low whistle then you're welcome. The wood/plastic thing is a bit of a red herring, there are some great polymer flutes out there and more than as many awful wooden ones!

Nothing wrong with the Dixon to get you going (apart from not coming apart). But remember you're not starting from scratch. You've studied ITM, have good low whistle technique and enough chops to play some session tunes. If you're genuinely set on transferring to flute get something that you'll use for a year or to keep for playing in the rain. You could save for a three-piece Dixon (there was a good bargain on one for sale on this board yesterday) or wander into Hobgoblin downtown and see what they have under the counter (or ask Jem or anyone else on this message board if they've got something to get you started).

PS. don't rush yourself with too many instruments, learning and listening more about ITM and more tunes/sets might turn out to be more advantageous to you in the long run :wink:
Mark
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'd take Mark up on his offer...a loaner flute, even if not in the best of tune, is a great way to get started.

I do agree the Dixon one piece, or even the two piece, is simply a gateway instrument. Heck, I never bought one of these basic flutes because if you have any tools and $2 for 8 feet of PVC you can make about 4 flutes using these instructions: http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/designs.html

If you use the low D instructions, you'll get a better flute than the Dixon one or two piece because the PVC is thicker and it cuts a better embouchure hole. Plus, you can undercut on the tone holes and improve your second octave a bit (cylindrical flutes tend to go flat in the second octave - you have to lip them up to pitch.

The Dixon 3 piece really is a nice, basic flute. I had one...nothing wrong with it except the lack of tuning slid which became an issue playing with a demented box player with reeds so flat I needed a tuning slide - in most other situations the tennon is long enough to tune to normal players. The three piece is your traditional conical flute, but because of that it'll cost you a lot more than the one piece or two piece models....but it is worth it.

So either make your own one piece PVC flute (you'll need the extra PVC because you'll likely screw up one or two - but you will end with a very playable flute) or borrow Mark's slightly wonky one.

After a few weeks, you'll know whether you're hooked or not. While I like low whistle, the flexibility of the flute is amazing...

Eric
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

In short, the answer is "no".
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

new 3 piece Dixon for cheap

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69390
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

MarkP wrote:If you just want to try something out at home, I can lend you an old wooden one that a friend lent me to have a look at (I could bring it down to the pub). It's a bit out of tune with itself, so you might not want to play it after a few days, but if you just want to try out your embachure and compare fingering against your low whistle then you're welcome. The wood/plastic thing is a bit of a red herring, there are some great polymer flutes out there and more than as many awful wooden ones!

Nothing wrong with the Dixon to get you going (apart from not coming apart). But remember you're not starting from scratch. You've studied ITM, have good low whistle technique and enough chops to play some session tunes. If you're genuinely set on transferring to flute get something that you'll use for a year or to keep for playing in the rain. You could save for a three-piece Dixon (there was a good bargain on one for sale on this board yesterday) or wander into Hobgoblin downtown and see what they have under the counter (or ask Jem or anyone else on this message board if they've got something to get you started).

PS. don't rush yourself with too many instruments, learning and listening more about ITM and more tunes/sets might turn out to be more advantageous to you in the long run :wink:
ill certanly take you up on the free lon-er offer, it is, after all, the cheepist solution :D
'transferring' to flute is perhaps the wrong word, im adding it to my toolkit, specifically because it will be trickey to play... The same reason i got the Shaw low d rather then somthing easy blowing...
AbraXas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by AbraXas »

You might want to consider buying a proper keyless flute in blackwood. If you find out that the flute is not an instrument you want to play after all, just sell it. The sale price will be reduced of course, but not a whole lot, if it is in such a new condition. So if you have the money at hand, I would recommend this method.

If it comes down to money, it´s all about how much you want to play the flute. If you want to play bad enough, you will always find a way to get the money. You probably own many things you rarely use. So you can sell them, or become a prostitute as a worst case scenario :P
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I know you're joking a bit there but (with all the respect in the world) that's daft advice to give someone who's never blown a flute in their life. :tantrum:
Mark
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

With all due respect, I actually think Abraxas is right. I started on a Hammy. I also have a boxwood Casey Burns, an old German keyed flute and an M & E polymer (mainly for camping and for playing at work). Had I started on the two latter flutes I wouldn't have kept playing. Okay, truthfully I started on a Gannon flute my dad leant me (hated it), but I only played it for about a week before my Hammy came.

If you think you want to learn flute, start on something decent (not that my others aren't decent, but they do take some lip to play) that is fairly easy to get a sound out of. Casey Burns's flutes are relatively inexpensive, easy on the lip and hold their value. They're a fantastic way to start. And, if you decide the flute just isn't for you, you can sell it for very close to what you paid for it. Given the time you should theoretically put into practice, you won't have lost anything. If you decide you the flute is for you, you'll be much happier having started with a decent flute.

Mark

PS Tipples are also an excellent way to get a taste of fluting for little cash.

PPS Oh, he said be a prostitute, I thought he said sell your prostate. Well, carry on then.
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
sacrenouille

Post by sacrenouille »

Hi there. I'm a french newcomer here :)

I have being playing the dual head Dixon polymer flute for one year now (just started irish flute last year). I rarely use the low whistle head and always play with the flute head.

To my surprise this is a really affordable instrument, well tuned, with loud sound (for a beginner) and nice tone, easy to play, easy to make it sound good... and it needs no care.

So, after having played with this 60€ instrument for one year I decided I should go one step beyond and bought a M&E polymer flute (keyless of course). I just recieved it this morning. I have been playing it only for 30min.

I'm quite surprised, sounds like the M&E isn't exatly in tune like the Dixon I have : the lower octave is pitched even lower and I have to pinch my lips more to have it sound quite right. Also the volume is lower. And I feel like I need more air. So my first impression is quite disapointing regarding the good things I had heard about M&E and the price comparison between the Dixon I own and this one.

So my first guess is that I need to get used to this new flute and probably it has a special way to be played and blown. Having played the dixon for one year with reasonably pleasant tone I thought my blowing technique was ok. Maybe it's not ?

Any advice would be welcomed :)

Thank you.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Every flute has it's own way to be blowed. It takes at least a month to get properly used to it. Blowing technique takes a lot to master, if you've been playing for a year you can be sure you still have a lot to learn (i've been playing for almost 3 years and i'm still not satisfied by my tone)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute