Jack Coen & the cream of New York & Philly in 62 & 66

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Jack Coen & the cream of New York & Philly in 62 & 66

Post by s1m0n »

Recorded by RTE's Ciarán Mac Mathúna in New York and Philadelphia in '62 & 66 for his radio show, and subsequently released by RTE on cassette around 1980.
Irish Traditional Music of New York and Philadelphia

RTE 124 cassette, with commentary by Ciarán Mac Mathúna between tracks, presumably originally broadcast on his radio show The Job of Journeywork.

Recordings from 1962 & 1966.

Fiddle-player and tune-maker Larry Redican, (sometimes spelt Redigan, Reddican, Reddigan, Rhattigan) died in 1975.
Cassette released in the 1980s I think. No date in the notes.

Artists:

FIDDLES

Larry Redican
Mary Brennan-Grant
Paddy Reynolds
Andy McGann
John Vesey
Denis Murphy
Paul Ryan
Vincent Harrison
Paddy Sullivan
Joe Lamont

FLUTES

Jack Coen
Eddie Meehan
Mick Flynn
Jimmie Smyth

PIPES

Thomas Standeven

CONCERTINA

Charlie Mulvhill

BOX

Sean McGlynn
Joe Madden
Gene Kelly
Charlie Mulvihill

PIANO

Felix Dolan
Geraldine Mulvihill
Thomas Standeven
Bill Greenall

with others as well on the final track.

Highlights include:

several solos by Larry Redican: his own reel The Culfada, to which he gives a verbal introduction; Jenny's Welcome to Charlie, and a nice version of the Harvest Home;
Redican duets with Coen; with McGann, backed by Dolan, and Vesey backed by Standeven;
several solo performances and an interview by Mary Brennan-Grant, friend of Michael Coleman and first teacher of Andy McGann; a solo by Paul Ryan (friend of Paddy Killoran) & a duet with Vincent Harrison; Denis Murphy on a couple of tunes with the Mulvihills (can you guess the track?); solo box by McGlynn & Madden, and a duet of Kelly & Lamont; the Mulvihills (father and daughter) on a lovely Co. Clare-style concertina/piano duet; Reynolds, Sullivan and Smyth playing Lad O'Beirne's...
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Jack Coen & the cream of New York & Philly in 62 & 66

Post by kenr »

Flagging this up as something for Jack Coen fans is a bit misleading. The cassette is sub-titled "A tribute to Larry Redican" and Jack Coen appears on just one track. It's all very nice music, though.

Incidentally, the notes from MacMathuna on the cassette are dated 1989.

This is one of a number of tapes put out to showcase the music recorded by MacMathuna over the years.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ken
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kenr wrote:Flagging this up as something for Jack Coen fans is a bit misleading. The cassette is sub-titled "A tribute to Larry Redican" and Jack Coen appears on just one track.
Fair enough. This not being fiddle forum, I opted to named the best known of the fluters. Incidentally, poking around on that blog is worthwhile; there are several other interesting things there, including some of the blogger's private recordings from the 70s which he's now digitised.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Smashing stuff. LOve it. I've saved it to disc. Thanks for the link
jcannon

Post by jcannon »

Just wanted to also say thanks for pointing these out. Really great of him to take the time to share things like this.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Bernie Stocks is the coolest and has done so much to make the music more accessible to more people. His name's on more than a few ABC transcriptions as well. A grateful toast to Bernie!Image
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Lar

Post by Lar »

I second the kudo to Bernie!

Pardon my ignorance, but does one have to sign up as a premium member at the RapidShare site to download? I clinck Bernie's link and it takes me to a page that references the clip, but has no "download" button that is active. What gives?
Larry Mallette
'Til Time Is No More
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Lar wrote:I second the kudo to Bernie!

Pardon my ignorance, but does one have to sign up as a premium member at the RapidShare site to download? I clinck Bernie's link and it takes me to a page that references the clip, but has no "download" button that is active. What gives?
You should see two 'dial/guage' images that don't do anything, as below. There will be a standard html button under each. Click the "Free User" button. The other choice is 'Premium User'.

A javascript will then count down, usually about 45 seconds or so, depending on the size of the file you're after, or maybe on their server's load at the moment. Once it counts to zero, the dials vanish and a another image appears, this one a bluish circle. That's the link to the file you're after. After the first one you download, the site will make you wait another 15 minutes or so (again varying) before you can do it all again.

C.S. Lewis
Lar

Post by Lar »

thanks.
the load on the site must have been heavy.
i waited quite a while and nothing happened.
I'll try again.
Larry Mallette
'Til Time Is No More
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Lar wrote:thanks.
the load on the site must have been heavy.
i waited quite a while and nothing happened.
I'll try again.
It's more likely that you've got a zealous pop-up blocker, or that your browser has javascript disabled. I've never seen Rapidshare slash dotted; it's huge.

C.S. Lewis