A weird issue, saddens me

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A weird issue, saddens me

Post by Trip- »

Hi all,

I guess if this didn't bother me so much, I wouldn't have posted about it.
For some redicilous strange unexplained reason, for the last two weeks I'm struggling to play the flute.
Before these last two weeks, I was pretty much playing the flute rather "well" with a fine tone - not the best but still a rich tone, something I've been practicing to achieve for many months. I could play sets in weekly sessions without a problem.

Now I can't even get the right tone out of the flute. As if something has changed in me - very suddenly. I lose air very quickly, the flute is not comfortable on my chin, I can't get the correct rich tone - the embouchure is all wrong. I can't play at a session at all - this is the saddest thing that happened to me with the flute! It's so frustrating and dissapointing that I lose will to play the instrument. I'm about the receive my new ordered flute within a couple of weeks, so I hope it will be more forgiving on the embouchure.

I don't understand what's wrong... feels like I've jumped back in time when I only started playing the flute. This has been going on for two weeks, and I'm back to my whistles since then. I believe this might've happened to some of you, but for a day, or two - certainly not weeks, and I'm worried something is wrong somewhere. No matter which position on the embouchure hole I try, it sounds weak and thin - if I suddenly hit the spot, it's only by chance and not solid. My muscles under the jaws feel getting tired of keeping a strange facial-lip figure, something that wasn't there before. All this can't keep me holding the flute on my chin, as if the whole process gets me tired quickly and I put the flute down for rest.

Wanted your insights...

Thanks for reading,
Philip
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: A weird issue, saddens me

Post by plunk111 »

Philip:

The first thing you should do is try another flute - have you? If your flute is leaking, you would probably get these results. Then, when you try to "fix" it with your embouchure, everything would go all wacko. If you HAVE tried another flute and it's the same, all bets are off.

I am NOT an expert at this instrument (been playing about a year), so take all of this with a grain of salt (or maybe a teaspoon of olive oil in Israel!).

Pat

P.S. Keep us posted...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Thank you for the idea :)
I have kind of looked for an air leak, but I'm being positive it's me and not the flute, or maybe the combination of the speicifc flute and myself.
I will recieve my new flute within a few weeks, then I can check better.
Flutered
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

Have you tried slower tunes? Song airs and that sort of thing - where you have more time and the music is more relaxed. Get that back first and then go for the dance tunes.. maybe this helps,
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Something I've found helpful though the years when this happens and you've "lost the blow," go back to long tones. Start with a low G, don't try to play loud, just steady at a medium volume. Try to get it as clear as as clean as you can. Try different things and see if they make it better or worse, roll in, roll out, move the flute slightly up or down or left or right, push the flute out a bit, pull it in towards the body a bit. Keep a mental note of what seems to help and what seems to make it worse. After you get low G as clean as you can, move up to middle d, and go through the exercise again. Finally the same on the second octave g. For the purposes of this exercise, don't worry about breathing, just breath when you need to.

Now I know that playing these long sustained tones is boring, but if you do it just ten minutes a day it has the potential to do really wonderful things for your tone and control.

Finally, a possibility that no one likes to think about: did you have any dental work done right before this started? It can take a long time after dental work to get your tone back, especially if the front teeth were involved. Another possibility: it's a very rare occurrence, but sometimes during dental work, especially wisdom tooth extraction, the nerve that enervates the lip can be damaged, making it subsequently impossible to play the flute.

I hope you can get your issue sorted out with a minimum of trouble. Please keep us posted as to your progress!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Perfectly normal and will may happen again and again. It's a matter of consistency, which is difficult to achieve in fluting.
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Being relatively new to the fluting game, this happens to me quite a lot... :( My approach, on the advice from various knowledgeable folks is to:
1) work on shifting the harmonics while fingering the low D (I like to try to play taps, reveille etc);
2) take the opportunity to play in the third register to torture my dog; and
3) play long tones as mentioned above, making sure to support the air column well with the diaphragm

I sometimes try to incorporate the metronome into my long tone practice, to work on ornamentation, duration, volume control (play loud, soft etc.) and clean shifting between registers without tonguing/cutting/tapping etc. - just using embouchure and not breath.

Going back to read Rockstro/Gunn/Nicholson can be helpful as well...

Or... get a piccolo as this will force you to play with a tight focussed embouchure all the time. I am sure Terry McGee would welcome a call!

Clinton
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Take a break. Don't play at all for maybe two weeks. Longer, if you can. Your body and mind need a hard reboot (to use computer terminology). Can't say why, but sometimes you just need some time to reallign. The good news is that when you pick up the instrument again, you'll probably find that you play better than you have any right to.

What happened? I can't tell you, but I can vouch for the cure.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've found that the most helpful feedback I've ever recieved in this kind of situation was "This is normal. It will pass".
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

s1m0n wrote:I've found that the most helpful feedback I've ever recieved in this kind of situation was "This is normal. It will pass".
I agree--and, as Cubitt pointed out, if you take a break for a bit, when you come back your tone may not only be back, it may actually be better than it was before.

However, if you don't want to wait, and you do want to learn how to recover from this quickly, then try the long tones exercise. I've been there; it works.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
weedie

Post by weedie »

STRESS mate.........thats what it is !! STRESS...and all its associated baggage:- Tight muscles,stiff neck,dry mouth,cluttered mind ,etc.etc......
and it's no wonder too !!...the troubles in your part of the world and your good self dealing with those troubles in the lengthy thread over in the Proctology column,thats enough to give anyone the Blues.....
Take yourself,your Flute and a bottle of cold beer to a quiet and private spot under a shady tree and play a few tunes....
Advice from Dr.Weedie.....I'll send you the bill later :wink:
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
Cork

Post by Cork »

s1m0n wrote:I've found that the most helpful feedback I've ever recieved in this kind of situation was "This is normal. It will pass".

+1 to what s1m0n said.

In a sense, flute playing appears to have much to do with the sub-conscious mind of a player, more than just a matter of conscious thought.

In other words, flute playing appears to be something of a mind game. And, regular, daily practice appears to be key to success.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

So many ideas :) thank you folks!

If what simon says is true for many players, I cross my fingers for it to pass then. The frustration is almost unbearable....
Cork

Post by Cork »

Trip- wrote:...If what simon says is true for many players, I cross my fingers for it to pass then. The frustration is almost unbearable....
As the saying goes, there will be good days, and there will be bad days, and that saying appears to apply to flute playing, too.

On the bad days, I usually don't "push" too hard, and I keep my expectations on the low side, which helps to keep frustration to a minimum.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Cork, I had scuh days too.... it's just this time it is weeks.