How do I oil a keyed wooden flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

How do I oil a keyed wooden flute?

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi folks,
I've recently received a keyed Olwell "Pratten" in blackwood, made for me by Aaron Olwell. It is an amazing and beautiful flute indeed.
This is the first keyed flute I've spent any real time with and I'm wondering how to oil it properly in a way that doesn't damage the keys, pads, etc. I've written to Aaron Olwell but not heard back from him yet (he's busy making flutes). So, how do all of you oil and otherwise care for your keyed flutes? What should I do and what should I avoid?

Thanks,
Chris
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How do I oil a keyed wooden flute?

Post by Gabriel »

If I'm feeling bold, I take all the keys off, drown the flute in an oil bath and let it dry for a few days. Meanwhile, I polish the keys. If I'm not feeling bold, I just put small pieces of plastic wrap under the key pads to prevent them from soaking with oil. Both methods work for me. But actually, I only oil my flute 3-4 times a year.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Thanks Gabriel. That's sound advice. Anyone else?

Following on Gabriel's theme... I've been playing an unkeyed blackwood Olwell for 7 or 8 years now and it has travelled with me all over the world - Sri Lanka, Uganda, Rwanda, South Africa, Costa Rica, Mexico, Norway, Ireland, Sweden, etc, etc, etc.... some pretty diverse environments. I oil it maybe 4 times a year and it has held up brilliantly - no problems, cracks, shrinking, warping, nothing.... the only issue has been some cork degradation, but I think that's because of using my own strange cork-greases or not using any at all. Anyways, it has definitely made think differently about oiling, though I do find the flute sounds particularly lovely after I've oiled it (and looks and smells great too).

Peace
Chris
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm pretty much with Gabriel here - follow the maker's recommended "playing in" regime for at least a year, then 3-4 times a year should do. I never actually immerse my flutes (or ones I'm fixing up) in oil baths, though. (There's not enough bore oil in a bottle for starters, and at between £3-6 for an egg-cupful, a bath would be rather expensive to arrange as well as generally OTT and unneccessary!). About twice a year I strip off the keys (polish them while off) and oil fairly liberally inside and out and leave it to soak in for a couple of hours. I apply the oil either with a pull through I keep for the purpose or a cloth on a dowel, or more usually I run a few drops of oil into each section and then spread it about with a goose feather. The feather absorbs less oil than a cloth will and so is less wasteful. The feather is also good for doing inside the tone-holes and embouchure - it will be plenty oily enough after doing the bore. Externally you can just apply oil with a finger tip, though the feather or cloth are handy for nooks and crannies like where blocks merge into the body or through key-slots (if not metal lined). Make sure you wipe any excess off afterwards, though, and especially in key slots etc. or you'll wonder why your keys are sticking. Use a dry cloth pull-through to remove any surface residue in the bore - especially if you are using a vegetable oil rather than a proprietary bore oil. Remember also to dry the tone-holes with a cotton bud or with cloth around a suitable probe - again, to prevent oiliness attracting and concreting gunk and reducing the tone-hole size.

In between such major oilings I occasionally oil internally only - usually with the feather method. With a music shop bore oil and a feather, you can make a light enough application in the bore that you may not need to wipe out afterwards, but you'll probably always want to wipe off the outside of the flute! I don't tend to bother protecting the pads and they don't seem to get oil on them from the feather provided I haven't put too much down the tube! I do think it is probably sensible to put slivers of cling-film or similar under them, though. If I get any oil on them I ust wipe it off with a dry cloth and they don't seem to come to any harm, but one should not leave them oily. Likewise, if you have pewter plugs you should make sure any oil that gets on them is wiped off as it will gather dust and make them sticky and it is also best to make sure any other metalwork is wiped dry - oils can speed tarnishing of silver.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Suggest you call Patrick and ask him.
He's there, talked to him a couple of days ago.
He can probably give you better advice than
we can.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The "bath" thing wasn't meant that serious. I just give the flute a good sip of oil.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Gabriel wrote:The "bath" thing wasn't meant that serious. I just give the flute a good sip of oil.
Fair enough! Some folk do do it, though, and if I took you seriously........ :wink:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Keep almond oil and any other drying oil away from the tuning slide and corked tenons.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Talk to Pat, of course, but Terry McGee's flute care info is an excellent resource.

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/McGee-Flutes-Care.htm

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

With my Hamilton, I followed Hammy's advice:

To oil, cut pieces of plastic grocery bag to slip under the pads to protect them, and remove the head cork to oil. Use cold-pressed linseed oil very sparingly, and very lightly coat the bore. Let sit a couple of hours and then run a cloth through it to remove the excess. Allow to finish drying overnight before playing.

After the flute is broken in, he recommends oiling once a month.

There was a schedule he had me follow, oil once a day for the first week, then once a week for the next month, then once a month from then on.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Okay, lots of good advice... but the heck am I supposed to avoid oiling the cork on the tenons? I've always oiled them, and it's caused no problems besides having to have them replaced every 4 or 5 years. But really, how does one avoid oiling the cork, and why?
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Chris, I don't think you need to panic if a bit of oil gets on your tenon corks. After all, you (presumably) put grease on those corks, and really when it comes down to it grease and oil are basically the same substance in a different state - solid vs. liquid. Obviously not exactly the same substance, since they are in different states at the normal ambient temperatures at which they are used, but the organic forms of them anyway are just different kinds of fats. Sort of like the difference between butter and vegetable oil, both of which are pretty much 100% fat. The only thing to watch out for in terms of getting oil on the tenon corks would be to avoid getting so much on there that the joints become too loose and your flute won't stay together. If the corks do absorb any oil, it won't hurt them because it will keep them from drying out, which (along with compression which occurs over time no matter what) is the real culprit in cork deterioration.

This is different than what happens if oil gets on your keypads, because the pad materials are typically much more absorbent than cork is, and if they soak up enough oil they start behaving like cold oil-soaked French fries and become stiff and quit sealing. The only choice then is to replace the pads.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Further to what John said:

If you oil your flute at all, oil will eventually migrate through the thin walls of the tenons and get at the cork from the underside. It's not such a big deal, unless your corks are put on with contact cement, which is a very common attachment method. Oil will cause any kind of rubber cement to disintegrate over time; what started out as super-sticky glue will wind up as a greasy, messy layer for your corks to slide around on, which eventually leads to tearing. An option is to have your corks put on with shellac, which is impervious to oil. Some of my older flutes have corks which were put on this way by a repairman with 19th-century sensibilities, and they're still in good nick. On the other hand, when I was living in Doolin I lost a cork on my Olwell when the cement became slimy. In fairness, that flute had loads of miles on it at that point.

Banging loads of cork grease down onto your corks will keep oil from getting in; Patrick even told me to put some grease on my finger and rub it (steady, now) into the interior walls of the main tenon to stop oil from having an easy passage through. Give it a try. Cheers,

Rob
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

One more little tip, given to me by Dave Copley: if/when you remove the keys during oiling, keep each key and its pin together in their own little baggie. If there are keys that look similar, labeling the baggies could also be helpful. One can only imagine the cacophony, not to mention the fingering challenges, if the the Bb key were to be used for Eb and vice versa. :wink:
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Tintin wrote:One more little tip, given to me by Dave Copley: if/when you remove the keys during oiling, keep each key and its pin together in their own little baggie. If there are keys that look similar, labeling the baggies could also be helpful. One can only imagine the cacophony, not to mention the fingering challenges, if the the Bb key were to be used for Eb and vice versa. :wink:
Keys aside, I usually slip the pins right back into the blocks. That'll show 'em!

Rob