Wooden Flute Maintenance DVD-ROM

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
plamas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wooden Flute Maintenance DVD-ROM

Post by plamas »

While you’re waiting for the “Flute Player’s Handbook” to appear, for some while past I’ve been working on a DVD-ROM on Wooden Flute Maintenance, which is at last finished and published and ready to go. There are 2 hours of video and animated content, which is a lot more than you’ll generally find on most instructional DVDs, but I wanted to ensure that I covered all the areas that I think the average flute player can do for themselves.
I’ve also been careful to point out what not to attempt, and when it’s time to get your instrument to a professional.
For the moment, it will only be available directly from me, and I’d imagine at a lower price than if it eventually becomes available through retail distributors.
Mail me at hammy@eircom.net, I can accept credit cards directly or via Paypal ( €35 includes postage worldwide, overnight shipping at cost )
You'll save the cost of the DVD on the first bit of maintenance you do yourself.
Please don’t use the board here to communicate with me about this, but rather directly to my E-Mail address.
Can I remind you that latest posting dates ( to guarantee pre Xmas delivery) are:
Ireland Dec 19th
UK Dec. 18th
Europe Dec. 9th
USA & rest of world Dec. 7th

Here’s the content:

The Flute
- An Overview
-wood structure
-Parts of the the Flute

Setting up the Flute
-Assembly
-Alignment
-Disassembly

Maintenance
-Schedule
-Cleaning
-oiling
-head maintenance

Repairs
-Introduction
-Crack Repair
-Joint Repair
-Cork Joints
-thread Joints
-Key Repair

Tools and Materials
-Tools
-Materials
-Making your own Grease

Links
-to sources of tools and materials used above

Troubleshooting
-how to locate and solve your problems

Easyfind
-go directly to each section as required

And heres what it looks like: (click on the image to enlarge)
Text on cover reads as follows:
Wooden Flute Maintenance - a pratical guide to basic care

with Dr. Hammy Hamilton

For 30 years West Cork based Hammy Hamilton has been making restoring and repairing wooden flutes for musicians throughout the world. In this unique presentation the internationally renowned craftsman and performer shares his knowledge and techniques vital in maintaining instruments in good condition.

“I rarely come across a flute that could not play better by virtue of some simple adjustments easily carried out by the player themselves”

An essential guide for all owners of the wooden flute in all it’s forms. This extensive guide clearly demonstrates the techniques for maintaining a wooden flute in top playing condition. It shows the player how to prevent problems by carrying out regular maintainence and some simple joint and keywork repairs.

‘Most major repairs I undertake might have been minor had a few simple rules been followed”

Although based on the wooden flute, the techniques are applicable to all simple system and early woodwinds.
herbivore12

Re: Wooden Flute Maintenance DVD-ROM

Post by herbivore12 »

Sounds very interesting. One question: is the DVD-ROM region-encoded? Or will those of us in the U.S. be able to pop this into our DVD player and watch, no problem?

Really looking forward to the book, as well!
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Cool. Keep one on hand in case I drop by for a visit around December 20th-22nd or so!
William Bajzek
plamas

Post by plamas »

There are no issues about different regions of DVD compliance. It's DVD-ROM so it's for a computer, both PC and Mac.
Hammy