Slide repair . . . Wilkes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Slide repair . . . Wilkes

Post by sturob »

Hey Chiffers!

Question for you. I have a ver' nahss Wilkes C flute, which I dearly love. Recently, when we had our beloved hurricane, I didn't play anything for a few weeks. When I went back to aforementioned flute, the slide had stuck.

I got it unstuck. I was exceedingly happy I got it unstuck.

Now, my question is this. Wilkes appears to come from the lube-the-slide camp; it appears to have something like graphite on it. Is this something I ought to take the flute to a repair shop to have them look at the slide? You know, regular silver flute place? Should I attempt something myself? I haven't had any slides stick in 15 years so I'm kind of unsure what to do.

My gut tells me that if I were to clean both parts of the slide, and re-lube it with whatever, it'd be fine, but I don't want to make things worse. I've tried to contact Chris, but have so far been unable.

Thanks for your information and assistance in advance.

Stuart
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

Hey Stuart,

Obviously, I won't speak for Chris, but I know of a few people who have Wilkes flutes who have 'relubed' them just with the classic mix of beeswax and vaseline. Heat up the beeswax, throw a little vaseline in there and then just put a small amount on the slide. It'll keep it tacky so it doesn't slide around on you when you are playing, but still have some lubricant in there.

B
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

Hi Stuart

I have one of Chris' flutes and asked him about lube on the slide a while back - he told me that unless the grease is deliberately wiped off it shouldn't need re greasing for years. He uses "Molykote thick Silicon grease" to lube the slide but he says it's quite difficult to get hold of. I believe you can buy a wee pot directly from him though.

Cheers
sturob

Post by sturob »

Good advice . . . thanks.

I don't know if I want to buy a little pot from Chris; this is the first slide I've ever had stick. Maybe I should use something different. :D

Stuart
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

You could try lanolin - it is cheap and you can buy it at any drug store. I use it on my M&E slide and on all my trumpet slides...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

would it be legal for Chris to sell you a little pot?
sturob

Post by sturob »

What if I promise to use it only for medicinal purposes?

Stuart
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

Glad someone twigged! :D
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

This is an old Boehm joint ;-) thing but it's worked on my wooden flute slides in a pinch, too .... gently "scribbling" on the male end of the slide with the side of a pencil. Yes, a pencil .... It's graphite!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.