Twisting its head off

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bud
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Twisting its head off

Post by bud »

I have a few bamboo flutes, and they are all one piece. I also have a Tipple, which is in two pieces. I notice that a number of flutes have cases that require that the flute be dismantled. Some folks suggest that the head be carried with one throughout the day in order to snatch minutes to work on embouchure. I'm not comfortable with this idea.

Doesn't constant dismantling eventually wear the flute so that the head is loose? And if so, is there a cure used by fluters?
Bud Savoie
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

oh ShurleyImage
daiv

Re: Twisting its head off

Post by daiv »

bud wrote:I have a few bamboo flutes, and they are all one piece. I also have a Tipple, which is in two pieces. I notice that a number of flutes have cases that require that the flute be dismantled. Some folks suggest that the head be carried with one throughout the day in order to snatch minutes to work on embouchure. I'm not comfortable with this idea.

Doesn't constant dismantling eventually wear the flute so that the head is loose? And if so, is there a cure used by fluters?
dismantling a flute does not wear it down. this sort of friction is at the molecular level. it would take much longer to wear a flute down just by dismantling it than you could do in a lifetime.

if it is a wooden flute, and the joints get damaged, they can be fixed. the metal tube can be replaced, the corks can be redone. for any flute, you can put plumbers tape on them.

the flute headjoint in my avatar is just slightly too narrow for my flute. i put plumbers tape on it. it is fine. i could get it adjusted by an instrument maker (add a slight change in the diameter), but i only change the one piece of tape i have on it every few months, so it isnt any work the way i have it now. i only change the tape if i put the headjoint in another flute and have to take the tape off.

i have a flute which was covered in moss and mold, cracked, and had pieces missing. now it looks brand new. anything can be fixed.
azw

Post by azw »

What Daiv said.

Bud, doesn't your flute have thread or cork on the joints' tendons? I think that'll usually be the part that wears out and it's relatively easy to replace.
Art Zoller Wagner
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

azw wrote:What Daiv said.

Bud, doesn't your flute have thread or cork on the joints' tendons? I think that'll usually be the part that wears out and it's relatively easy to replace.
A flute with tendons? I've heard of some exotic C19th ones with keys distance-operated by "bell-wires", though. Strewth, it'll be the darn tubes themselves complaining of tendonitis next!

Seriously, though, as has already been said, erosion of tenons or sockets is not a serious problem - you'd have to spend several minutes a day screwing a joint around and around as well as pulling it on and off to make much difference to an all metal slide joint or a thread or cork lapped one, assuming all was in good condition, well fitting, suitably lubricated and clean.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
bud

Twisting its head off

Post by bud »

thank you all, gentlemen. I should be OK.

Azw, the Tipple is a PVC flute. No fancy doodads, and the head slides into the body with a bit of twisting. Amazing sound.
Bud Savoie
drewr

Post by drewr »

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about the steadfast replies so far.

I started on a Tipple PVC and the headjoint has been taken off many, many, MANY times to shake out the condensation and run the cleaning rod through. I think I went a bit overboard with this and would sometimes perform this operation several times during a practice session. The headjoint of the Tipple is now quite loose to the point that air escapes and the headjoint often turns when I'm playing. This is the gray PVC model, which has softer plastic than the white, so this may have contributed to the problem.

I could likely fix this pretty easily with teflon tape or something. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
daiv

Post by daiv »

drewr wrote:Hmmm... I'm not so sure about the steadfast replies so far.

I started on a Tipple PVC and the headjoint has been taken off many, many, MANY times to shake out the condensation and run the cleaning rod through. I think I went a bit overboard with this and would sometimes perform this operation several times during a practice session. The headjoint of the Tipple is now quite loose to the point that air escapes and the headjoint often turns when I'm playing. This is the gray PVC model, which has softer plastic than the white, so this may have contributed to the problem.

I could likely fix this pretty easily with teflon tape or something. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
well, if we want to talk about steadfast replies, i already mentioned teflon tape (aka plumbers tape).

also, jem mentioned that you'd have to constantly take it apart. which, unfortunately you did. there is obviously no reason to do this. if you want condensation to come out, you can cover the holes with your finger, cover the mouthpiece with your mouth, and blow. cleaning out is only necessary when you are completely done playing. if you dont keep it in a bag or a case, and it is pvc, some might argue cleaning your flute out is unnecessary.
Denny

Post by Denny »

it's a Tipple.....

leave it together, rinse in sink as needed

done
daiv

Post by daiv »

Denny wrote:it's a Tipple.....

leave it together, rinse in sink as needed

done
thank you. better than i could have said it.
azw

Post by azw »

Ha! Thanks for exposing that misspelling, Jem. I looked up the word "tendon" and thought it was odd that the wood joint variety wasn't mentioned. I was using a simple software dictionary, so I figured that was the dictionary's problem. Thanks to you I've finally learned how to spell the word!
Art Zoller Wagner
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Bud,

You may want to hit the tenons on your Tipple with a think coat of chapstik occasionally to lube & seal better. Even PVC can be damaged by friction. Works very well IMO.

On a Tipple with a loose slide, put a small piece of transparent scotch tape down one side & see if that tightens it up enough. Mine took 2 pieces to make a tight seal that was not too tight. You can adjust the width of the tape to adjust the amount that it tightens up.

Best,

Deisman
I'm on it...
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

oop's - I meant CPVC... sorry Doug!
I'm on it...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Don't leave a wooden flute assembled all of the time...the constant compression on the tenons can cause such problems as warping, cracking, or even a frozen tenon that you can't get apart. Also if the tenons are corked, they could become lose as a result of the constant compression.

A polymer flute can be left assembled and rinsed out as needed as long as the tenons aren't corked.

A metal flute should not be left assembled; the key mechanism is delicate but relatively well-protected when in the case, but easily damaged if left open to the environment. Also, as above, the tenons could become difficult to assemble or separate, or could freeze in place.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard