Lesouef Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MJ1619

Lesouef Flutes?

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey everybody,

I am researching a keyed flute and have been looking at the makers mentioned in these forums. I posted a question a while back about the necessity/usefulness of keys and I appreciate all the replies. I liked and took to heart one of the suggestions to look at the up-and-coming makers. I did and I really liked the instruments of Solen Lesouef. They look beautiful and the sound clip on her website was impressive. Since I am still researching, I was wondering if anyone has tried or owned one of her flutes and would care to comment on their experience.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Michael
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

and the web site...

interesting short F nat.....
I think I like it!
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

She's one of the few wooden flute makers who is female. :)

Plus anyone who writes an "Ode to an *OPINEL" has to be alright! :thumbsup:

*OPINEL is a classic old French pocket knife.

I too am waiting to hear a reviews of her flutes!

She was offering a an upgrade special: If you bought one of her keyless flutes and then wanted to get a keyed flute. She would give you full credit for your keyless towards the purchase of a keyed flute. I thought that was a mighty nice arrangement! :)
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Denny

Post by Denny »

Sillydill wrote:Plus anyone who writes an "Ode to an *OPINEL" has to be alright!
agreed!

couldn't have a picnic without one!
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Denny wrote:and the web site...

interesting short F nat.....
I think I like it!
Maybe she is saving on silver?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Post by Denny »

don't look like she's gonna save much that way.Image
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

I tried several of her flutes in july, at the Saint Chartier festival.
I don't have much experience since I've been playing for only one year, but compared to my lovely Bleazey flute and as far as I can detect differences, it sounded quite loud, nice and light, requiring a little more air. The holes felt bigger than on my flute also.

Solen being a fine player herself, I think you can not expect bad product.

Also, they are quite cheap for such good flutes.

Pascal.
kirikee

Post by kirikee »

She's one of the few wooden flute makers who is female.
Interesting point: what other women are making wooden flutes?
Tchie

Post by Tchie »

Hello,

I had tried her flutes twice. I have already got a flute made by Stéphane Morvan but I really wanted it so much since her flute is very easy to play ( as compared to my Morvan's, which is Rudall and his 8th fabrication) and it fits very much to my small hand.

May be there is less "timbre" than Morvan's but it depends on what you are looking for.

As she had studied fabrication of flute in England, I suppose she speaks very well in English and she is very considerate person, (whch means she is "very fair" even you are debutant or musicien, do you see what I mean?!) I recommend her.

If I were looking for a flute in D, I think I might bought from her...

You may ask her to send her flute (and you pay postal fee) to try and if it pleases you, you can keep it.

But please do not buy too much flutes from her to augment the price of the flute. :lol:
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

kirkee
Interesting point: what other women are making wooden flutes?
The only other current maker I know of is Claire Soubeyran : http://www.soubeyranflutes.com/

I had a flute made by a gal, who simply went by the name Aquila. She apprenticed under Casey Burns, but nobody seems to know what happened to her.

Here's a picture of her lovely work. I called this flute Platypus for some reason. :D
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Gwenn Frinn works with Martin Doyle

MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Tchie, thank you for your advice and I promise I won't buy too many of her flutes and make the price go up. It is good to hear that she is a good and fair person to deal with. I was a little hesitant to ask her about her instruments, particularly since I am looking for my first keyed instrument and I didn't want to bother her if I wasn't really sure. However, you've convinced me that I should inquire of her and see what can be done.

Thanks again to everyone. This is a really great forum and it's good to see that both men and women are involved in preserving the craft and art of traditional instrument making.

Michael
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Kara Lochridge may not technically be a maker (yet) but she makes flutes in Pat Olwell's shop.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Kara L has left Pat O's shop and moved to Boston.
I believe the move is complete, anyhow.
(Also she got married.)
She remains in business repairing and refurbishing
flutes. I hope she starts making them too soon.