For Sale Boosey and Co Antique 8 key flute(SOLD)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
david quinn
antispam: No
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

For Sale Boosey and Co Antique 8 key flute(SOLD)

Post by david quinn »

For sale Antique Boosey and Co 8 key flute. The flute is made from Ebonite Rockstros preferred material! The eight keys are made of nickel silver i believe. The flute is pre 1930 as Boosey joined with Hawkes then. I think its E Flat not sure pitch of flute so here are measurements.

Total length 24 1/4 inches
Length from centre of embouchere to centre of first tone hole just under 8 inches
length from centre of embouchere to end of flute 21 1/4 inches.
Flute will require a repad as pads are worn their are no cracks the flute is complete and also comes with a leather case.

Pm for Info

Last edited by david quinn on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Better to die on your feet than on your knees in a united Ireland'
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

minor clarification, david

Ebonite was not Boehm's preferred material.
He preferred Platinum (it's in the book)....but clearly it was too expensive.
That's why they're all silver now. Next best thing.

Ebonite was Rockstro's preferred material (it's in the book).

I have the same flute as this and the bulge in the barrell indicates it to be an Eb band flute, as is mine.
please don't say you don't know its key. You've been collecting and buying flutes for some time now (and specifically seeking the AZ models).

Seems to me you've acquired some knowledge of pitch by now.
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

David to make this clear i play in a band that use high pitch flutes i dont know what frequency this is. We also dont use eight key flutes hence the sale of this and the sonorous i sold last week.

I have noticed flutes at 440 which i think is standard concert, baroque flutes which i believe is 420 not sure if this is low pitch i would describe concert pitch as low but this would be even lower.

If i knew the pitch i would state what pitch it was in i dont have a tuner and i only have one pair of hands and a mouth otherwise i would play it against my e flat high pitch piccolo and see if it was high pitch or not!

Since you have the same flute do you care to describe the pitch instead of trying to score points. I was actually told this was a d sharp flute.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

score points? with whom?

i think the folks here know for themselves. I have little need to score anything.

I simply would like to point out that things stated as a fact may not necessarily hold water.
especially when someone is marketing an item......
i'm a consumer affairs reporter here in the usa.
i see a lot of things mislabled with the attempt to sell better and hear how people get snookered into buying because of it.

I know you well enough by now to say I doubt it was intentional.
But it would do well not to use terms and phrases you're unsure of, such as "Boehm's preferred material." Ask first. There are plenty of knowledgeable on list who would be happy to ensure your postings are accurate.

It's a desire to help you.....not slam you.
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

Well you stated ( please dont say you dont know its key) when i had already said i think its e flat!

Did you think i was trying to con anyone? I clearly stated i think its e flat then you come on and write this, whats that all about all you had to do was say what pitch it was and not be smug.

What does this mean the folks here know for themsleves?

Ok i was wrong about Ebonite i should have said i thought it was Boehm same as i said i thought it was e flat.

If you have a problem with me Pm me.
nitterwhiskers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nitterwhiskers »

Mmmm had half an eye out for an Eb the other day when this came up on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=014. Unfortunately I forgot about that one - how much do you want for your one?
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

nitterwhiskers wrote:Mmmm had half an eye out for an Eb the other day when this came up on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=014. Unfortunately I forgot about that one - how much do you want for your one?
Poor guy forgot to mention it was a boosey in the heading cost him dearly by the looks of it. Plus he never put it on international auction to a wider audience.

Looking for 500 pounds plus shipping similar to an E flat Excelsior Sonorous i sold on ebay for 543 gbp. Similar flute same material same amount of keys and pitch id say their is nothing between them flutes.

David
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

[quote="david quinn"]

If i knew the pitch i would state what pitch it was in i dont have a tuner and i only have one pair of hands and a mouth otherwise i would play it against my e flat high pitch piccolo and see if it was high pitch or not!
quote]

Isn't there the option, before posting the ad, of buying a tuner
or borrowing a tuner or getting someone to
play the flute while you play your picolo or whatever and simply determining
the flute's pitch?

i nearly bought your last flute because,
through the posts here and some communication with
you privately, I thought it was in D. I was amazed
to discover it was in Eb.

Suggest you take the trouble, before posting a flute here
or on Ebay, to determine decisively its pitch and/or
any anomalies. And post the info up front. Like in the title,
e.g. 'Eb Ebonite Flute For Sale.' If you're a musician
and as honest as I hope you are, this will be no
problem. Thanks.
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

jim stone wrote:
david quinn wrote:
quote]

Isn't there the option, before posting the ad, of buying a tuner
or borrowing a tuner or getting someone to
play the flute while you play your picolo or whatever and simply determining
the flute's pitch?

i nearly bought your last flute because,
through the posts here and some communication with
you privately, I thought it was in D. I was amazed
to discover it was in Eb.

Suggest you take the trouble, before posting a flute here
or on Ebay, to determine decisively its pitch and/or
any anomalies. And post the info up front. Like in the title,
e.g. 'Eb Ebonite Flute For Sale.' If you're a musician
and as honest as I hope you are, this will be no
problem. Thanks.
Jim thanks for your advice

didnt i post the measurements so experienced musicians would be able to determine the pitch?

Also in the last flute i sold i posted pm for details! Not once did i mention it was in d if im buying a flute i usually ask for sounding measurements to keep myself right. If you had asked these questions the last time you would have known it was an e flat i cant help it if you automatically assume its pitched in d!

Their seems to be a lot of people with different opinions ie someone told me this flute was a d sharp ive also been told it was an e flat so even experienced musicians have difference in opinions. Me only being a grade 5 musician i dont know much regarding these flutes as i play boehm and b flat simple system.

But im sure ill take your advise and brush up on my terms and adverts ill ivestigate pitchs and stuff and buy a tuner.

Also i couldnt give a flying f*** if you think im honest or not.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

D sharp and E flat is the same thing, same pitch anyway.
It seems like good mannors to provide information regarding what key the instrument plays in, and if it plays to modern pitch (A=440) or not. If one is unable to do so, it seems like one could state that in the post, which you seem to have done pretty well...

You know what else is good mannors on a saturday night? Sharing a nice dram of
whisky :D
Cork

Post by Cork »

jim stone wrote:...Isn't there the option, before posting the ad, of buying a tuner or borrowing a tuner or getting someone to play the flute while you play your picolo or whatever and simply determining the flute's pitch...
Hi, Jim,

Ah, but perhaps there could be yet another option, and one readily available to those in the UK.

For instance, John Walker, of England, tuning forks are of high quality.

I rarely use an electronic tuner, but I regularly use a tuning fork, by John Walker, actually, I have a few of them.

:-)
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

Henke wrote:D sharp and E flat is the same thing, same pitch anyway.
It seems like good mannors to provide information regarding what key the instrument plays in, and if it plays to modern pitch (A=440) or not. If one is unable to do so, it seems like one could state that in the post, which you seem to have done pretty well...

You know what else is good mannors on a saturday night? Sharing a nice dram of
whisky :D
Thanks i did state the key and mentioned i was unsure of pitch and also posted the sounding measurments but obviously thats not enough for some people.

They come on and question your integrity even after you have made a, as honest assesment as you can, but ill put the flute to ebay my 99 percent positive feedback should answer any questions about my authenticity. I just thought i would post on here let people see it but obviously others had different ideas when they questioned my honesty on an open forum.

David
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Don't mind Jim.

You got away easy, I'd say.

:D :P

BTW... I understood your description just fine.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

wowsers, must be the heat! [@100F. here] since band flutes were made in flat keys to get along with brass that's usually in flat keys, I think the Eb designation is more common. don
huffin' and puffin'
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

Item sold :) can thread be locked please