I released my first CD in the Catskills last week!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

joshD wrote:
segv wrote:Greg Bacon has another one of the tracks on his blog: http://www.baconworks.com/archives/618

A little more googling and soon I won't have to buy the CD ... kidding :D
Aint that the truth :lol: I did it to myself. The most important thing to me is that im sharing my music with other peeps :D
Josh, just keep reminding people that the only way to hear that killer hidden track is to buy the CD!
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Josh, I just wanted to let you know how much I am really enjoying this and how much it is inspiring me to buckle down, get my act together, and record some tracks. I just bought a nice Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic which makes it super easy to easy to record into Garage Band or Audacity. I'm finding that recording myself and then really listening critically to myself makes a big, big difference. On the flute I am pretty darn satisfied with my tone - though it could always be better, especially in the top register, but my rhythm is really sloppy and needs a lot of work. On the whistle, I've realized that, on most tunes, I am tonguing way, way too much, when I thought I hardly tongued at all. Ha! The number one thing, though, is rhythm! The number two thing is rhythm as well. Same with number three. So my plan is this - sit down with Catherine McEvoy and Felix Dolan, the Amazing Slow downer, and my flute, and really learn to play with rhythm and consistency, recording myself to really listen to what I am doing. Hopefully I'll post a few clips of my progress over the next couple of weeks. Anyways, thanks, really, for inspiring me to get serious about this again.

I started this point really meaning to thank you again for the music. I've just download the Happy Hornpipe / Munster Grass mix and it's just wonderful. The rhythm and flow on both tunes is just lovely.... it puts a big happy smile on my face. Great job!

All the best,
Chris
joshD

Post by joshD »

Great to here that Chris. It really makes it all worth the stress and hard work when someone gets a charge out of the album. I have found that recording my self for practice purposes has helped my playing ten fold. I still go to the session and record myself. It's great to hear your self and get a good representation of what you sound like to others. I find it hard sometimes to fit practice in so this act of recording the session fills some of the void. Funny enough, when I listen to the CD I am always marking spots mentally that I should practice. :D

So I see you are far far away. How did you land your self there?
joshD

Post by joshD »

John, If you keep talking about it, it won't be so hidden :lol:

Anyway, Are you coming to the Concert tomorrow?
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

joshD wrote:John, If you keep talking about it, it won't be so hidden :lol:
I ain't tellin' no one where it is, just that they need to start searchin' for it!
joshD wrote:Anyway, Are you coming to the Concert tomorrow?
Planning to. Although 6:00 is an unusual start time. Any food there?

And a shout out to Chris, who's come a long way from that cottage in Quilty...
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

Awesome man. It was great seeing all you guys in the Catskills. I'll get the album next time I see ya at the Hon.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
joshD

Post by joshD »

Sweet Darth!! By the way, nice stuff in the Catskills dude. :)
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

To bad about the fife playing. You are such a kick ass player. Do you ever get the urge?
I honestly don't get the urge anymore, though I have a couple sets of tunes based on old fifey stuff that I do on Bb whistle. We'll be tracking them soon in our new group. They're "irished up" as you'd expect, but there's still plenty of triple tonguing and double tonguing here and there to keep it interesting.

Some old habits never die, eh?

I would like to get back to a muster one day, just to do it again once. Not sure my mouth could handle all that pursing....but Frank Claudy still says I can get tone out of a thimble, so maybe I still have some old chops left.

I saw Bacon's notes on your stuff. I remember Greg way back in the day. I used to hang in that group of Andrews, Bacon, Tishka, Billy ....this when the Cuccia ladies were young girls coming up.

ah, the good ole days.

lol
joshD

Post by joshD »

Wow,

You took the way back machine and rode that sucker. Dominick Cuccia was the man who taught me almost everything I know on the snare.

Tish, Bill, Skip and all those guys and gals are still at it!!!!

Funny how you can remember somethings as if it were just last week!

:)
LadyDi

Post by LadyDi »

Geez, with all the praise and accolades you're receiving, I wonder if there'll be room for me at the session tomorrow night or if your ego will take up all the space?

:o

:D :D

Kidding, of course. And since I think Zan pilfered my copy of your CD, I tried to get one off CD Baby but they were out!!!!!!!!

:cry:
Es ist, daß eine Freude versteckt zu werden aber eine Katastrophe, nicht gefunden zu werden. - Donald Winnicott
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Dominick had some of the fastest hands around. Great wrists.
Though I remember him playing with Howie Green and Andrew and Pace and the crew when he was a kid. Even then he was quick.

and then I think Cathy Cuccia starting winning titles with the tunes I used to play. I handed them over to her when I retired.

Yes amazing how the brain works!

That's a very musically astute family the Cuccias are. The dad, Gus, was a huge fan and was the founder of the Young Colonials. I remember going to their muster when it was the first and second year. Fun.

Did you ever play with the Catt (derek) in the OGFDC? I knew Derek well, back when the Guard was pressing to get me in there (c.1986-88).
joshD

Post by joshD »

Lady Di,

I will deal with you at the session :swear:
joshD

Post by joshD »

Never new Derek. He must have been before my time. I didn't get to the OG until 2001.

You are correct in your statements about the Cuccia Fam. They are some of the most talented people I know!!!
Paul McGlinchey

Post by Paul McGlinchey »

Josh,

Have heard your sample tracks. Lovely stuff!!

Good luck with the CD.

Paul
joshD

Post by joshD »

Thanks so much Paul.

That means alot since I have always loved your playing. By the way the new cd is killer! I will be picking one up shortly. Hope to run into you some day and share a tune. Till then take care and good luck with the new cd.

Josh