Conal O'Grada's 2nd solo recording

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Conal O'Grada's 2nd solo recording

Post by kenny »

...is out now. :) :) :)

Track list here, and I'll comment later.

http://www.thesession.org/recordings/display/3063
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Markus

Post by Markus »

Ah well, one more item on my shopping list when heading for Ireland in the end of July...

Great that he ended up doing the record after all. Looking forward.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

He was all fired up playing with Gary Hastings last saturday, Gary described Conal as 'half man, half steam-engine'.

I mentioned the CD launch briefly on the Willie week thread over on the ITM forum, where I posted pictures as the week progressed.
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

Great news.

Top of the Coom has never left our car's CD player - it is played so much that my wife has given Japanese names to the tunes. :D

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hello,

I heard a few tracks of the CD on the radio during Willie week (or weak willie week). He plays a selection of marches called the Green and Gold. I remember learning them off a Brendan Larrisey tape years ago.

Brendan said that he got the marches from Gerry O'Connor's mother who had taught him (and several others) to play the fiddle.

Needless to say Conal's interpretation left my effort in the shade.

Regards

John
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Conal O´Gráda´s CD "Cnoc bui" is the CD of the year for me. Last year it was the Rainey Brothers CD. I´m playing Conal´s new CD now as I write. It´s been 18 years since Conal´s last solo CD "Top of Coom" and well worth the wait. Every track is great. Wonderful, exciting flute playing. Just now my favourite tunes are "The Grafspey & Come west along the road" set, "Lesbia hath a roving eye" and the "Muing fhliuch jig & Greensleeves" set. Conal´s sister Maire Ní Gráda is one of best uilleann pipers I´ve ever heard, a fine musician. I wonder if their parents are also musicians too?
SteveB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

I googled "Cnoc Bui" and the only place I could find to order it online was at cdbaby.com. Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately for Mr. O'Grada!) they've already sold out. Is anyone aware of any other online sellers who currently carry it?

regards,

SteveB
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Would be nice if it were available on itunes, but who knows what their criteria are.....

Loren
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Great photo of Conal there.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

ChrisCracknell wrote:Great photo of Conal there.

I got loads of nice pics last week.

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I googled "Cnoc Bui" and the only place I could find to order it online was at cdbaby.com. Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately for Mr. O'Grada!) they've already sold out. Is anyone aware of any other online sellers who currently carry it? " Steve

NPU had it at Miltown in their temporary shop there. www.pipers.ie It´s not listed on their site today, but maybe they haven´t updated their site what with Willie Week and everything?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Steampacket wrote: NPU had it at Miltown in their temporary shop there. www.pipers.ie It´s not listed on their site today, but maybe they haven´t updated their site what with Willie Week and everything?
NPU takes stock off people for the week, they don't carry the non-piping items as standard, the unsold items are returned after the saturday concert.

That said, they took away a few unsold ones of ours after the week last year and that was never listed on the website either.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

O´Gráda rocks! I've seen trad-hating emo teens tap their feet to Top of Coom.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Father Emmet wrote:O´Gráda rocks! I've seen trad-hating emo teens tap their feet to Top of Coom.
heh, that would make one excellent endorsement on a future re-release of Top of Coom :D
mukade

Post by mukade »

It's a shame Scoiltrad went tits up.
The advice I got from Conal was very valuable.

He was a great guy to deal with.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon