do you whistle?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

I seldom play whistle for two reasons:

1. I just don't care for the sound as compared to flute.

2. I use very different ornaments and articulation on whistle than I do on flute, and keeping them straight is a pain. I gig far less now than I used to, but when I did, I pretty much kept my flute and whistle repertoir separate.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Like many others, I started out on whistle. I still play it some. Mostly it's in the car and to break in the wooden whistles I've been making, but there are some tunes that I find lend themselves to the whistle much moreso than the flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Only while I'm working.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I keep a whistle in my car. I got stuck in construction yesterday, woo hoo. I accidently taught myself to play left-handed and am in the usa so playing a flute in my car in the driver's seat doesn't work. Sometimes I have my fife in my car. That works.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Whistle comes in handy busking.
Also when playing old time music.
I find all the practice on flute makes me
better on whistle, though the two instruments
are played somewhat differently.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

At first I thought you meant real whistling.......stopped in '66 when the band broke up.........(and you think boudhran players get no respect)....finally picked up a flute 36 years later........
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I play in my car, too -- I have an old Gen I keep in the door pocket & there's a Feadog rolling around somewhere in the farm truck. Anyway, it makes traffic jams so much less frustrating; depending on what or who pops up on the iPod I almost hope for a holdup sometimes so I can (at least attempt to) play along.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I play in my car, too -- I have an old Gen I keep in the door pocket & there's a Feadog rolling around somewhere in the farm truck. Anyway, it makes traffic jams so much less frustrating; depending on what or who pops up on the iPod I almost hope for a holdup sometimes so I can (at least attempt to) play along.
There is plenty of opertunities to be stuck in traffic here in LA! i should have my Whistle handy... But with the cell phone band, it didn't mention whistling while you drive, so it must be okay... :party: (not)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Jon, that avatar of yours is a little freaky! :)
~Tiff
daiv

Post by daiv »

matahari_1946 wrote:Jon, that avatar of yours is a little freaky! :)
*cough* *cough*

look at yours, too!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jon C. wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:I play in my car, too -- I have an old Gen I keep in the door pocket & there's a Feadog rolling around somewhere in the farm truck. Anyway, it makes traffic jams so much less frustrating; depending on what or who pops up on the iPod I almost hope for a holdup sometimes so I can (at least attempt to) play along.
There is plenty of opertunities to be stuck in traffic here in LA! i should have my Whistle handy... But with the cell phone band, it didn't mention whistling while you drive, so it must be okay... :party: (not)

I dunno Jon. I think it might be ok.

I drive to much and sit it traffic to much to think otherwise.

Now... with the price of gas I'll be taking rail.

I wonder if I could busk to the office?

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Animated avatars are really lame.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

MTGuru wrote:
Animated avatars are really lame.
Ya wana fight? :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
eilam

Post by eilam »

daiv wrote:
*cough* *cough*

look at yours, too!

yes, tiff', i've been meaning to ask you................??????????!!!!! :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

mutepointe wrote:I keep a whistle in my car. I got stuck in construction yesterday, woo hoo. I accidently taught myself to play left-handed and am in the usa so playing a flute in my car in the driver's seat doesn't work. Sometimes I have my fife in my car. That works.
Yet another reason to wonder :-? why the Yanks, Frogs et al all drive on the wrong side of the road! ? 'Tain't nacheral!
Of course, being right (not wrong) handed (if not headed) and also playing thus, I couldn't play flute in the driving seat of a right-hand-drive vehicle - not that I'd want to........(need my licence!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads