Catskills week - digital recorder

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Catskills week - digital recorder

Post by matahari_1946 »

I'm going to be attending the Irish week in the Catskills next month. Can anyone suggest a digital recorder to take with me? I don't have one so I'd like to know what others like. Thanks!

*Edited for spelling
Last edited by matahari_1946 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Tiff
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

matahari_1946 wrote:Can anyone suggest a digital recorder to take with me? I don't have one so I'd like to know what others like.
You have a wealth of choices. In the past I have used cassette recorders and digital voice recorders. The casstte recorder worked well but was cumbersome. The digital voice recorder was meant for transcription and the microphones didn't do an adequate job of capturing the sound across a room. I would suggest one of the many hand-held digital recorders currently available. Edirol makes the R-09. Zoom offers the H-4 and H-2 handycorders. Olympus offers the LS-10. Tascam has the DR-1. Sony provides the PCM-D50 and others. Marantz has the PDM620. I am sure I have left some out too. These all have good microphones and more features than most people would use. All will give you good results. Prices range from under $200 on up. I have a Zoom H-2 and am happy with it so far.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I highly recommend the Zoom H4. It's even nicer with the new firmware update. Feadoggie - if you haven't installed the new software (and it's available for the H2), do it! Lots of new features...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

plunk111 wrote:Feadoggie - if you haven't installed the new software (and it's available for the H2), do it! Lots of new features...
Thanks Pat! I will look into that.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Mark Nelson, a folk musician who dabbles in a wide variety of traditions, has some good in-depth reviews of a bunch of handheld digital recorders here:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub/tag_general/112

Just scroll down and look for all the reviews by Mark Nelson.

Really it depends on whether you want good sound quality or just a useable record of what you heard. If it's the latter you can get away with a cheap dictaphone-type recorder, but otherwise check out Mark's reviews.
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Hiya Tiff,

Dani had a Zoom H2 at the Salt Lake Piping Club tionol this weekend, and from what she said it really does the business: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/0 ... rder.html

See you soon,
Mark
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. Mark, I saw Dani's recorder but didn't realize that was a Zoom. This is why I'm asking about recorders. Since I didn't think I was going to be participating in the workshops this weekend I didn't bother finding a recorder. But now I'm kicking myself cause I missed recording all that great stuff Liz was throwing out there, not to mention the great stuff I couldn't be there for. I won't make that same mistake next month!

They both suggested I record some good sessions as well. Has anyone recorded a session with either Zoom? What did you think?
~Tiff
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

plunk111 wrote:I highly recommend the Zoom H4. It's even nicer with the new firmware update. Feadoggie - if you haven't installed the new software (and it's available for the H2), do it! Lots of new features...

Pat
Where do I go online for the firmware update?

Thanks,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

mahanpots wrote:Where do I go online for the firmware update?
H4 update / H2 update. I think my H4 is on 2.1 instead of 2.2, but either way, the crazy thing is that with the 2.x firmware it can handle SD cards bigger than 2GB. As soon as I find a good price I'm springing for a 8GB or 16GB card....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
andyras2

Post by andyras2 »

Does anyone have examples of recordings from sessions on the Zoom 4, I'm kindof toying with this one myself, not not sure if it will performa any better with background noise than my current tools, N95 and Archos Fm20.

I'd like to hear the quality of a session type environment.

Thanks

andy
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

andyras2 wrote:Does anyone have examples of recordings from sessions on the Zoom 4, I'm kindof toying with this one myself, not not sure if it will performa any better with background noise than my current tools, N95 and Archos Fm20.

Thanks

andy
Pittsboro session clips Recorded on H4

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Thanks Michael! That's just what I was looking for. Sounds great!
~Tiff
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

mahanpots wrote:
andyras2 wrote:Does anyone have examples of recordings from sessions on the Zoom 4, I'm kindof toying with this one myself, not not sure if it will performa any better with background noise than my current tools, N95 and Archos Fm20.

Pittsboro session clips Recorded on H4
Surely that can't be a very noisy session? I mean, I'm a big fan of my H4, and it makes great recordings, but I'd be really shocked if I could make a recording at our session and the background noise level was that low... I would expect a very faithful recording of a very noisy environment.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
andyras1

Post by andyras1 »

Thanks Michael,

My current recordings pick up a lot of noise in the background making it difficult to pick out 'tricky' parts in the tunes.

Andy
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

The "Pittsboro session" wasn't a noisy session. It was held outside that day and not a lot of folks listening and milling about outside.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig