4 Keys Sam Murray flute for sale

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

He's quick to respond. I got a keyless @ €775 in three months last year
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Peter Laban wrote:He's quick to respond. I got a keyless @ €775 in three months last year
that's really quick. but maybe you have an advantage as you are living quite close to him and could probably ask him in person, instead of being a faceless customer who can only place an order by phone or email.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

No, I don't think so, a keyless is quick and easy, the bread and butter of all flutemakers. Several people I have spoken to since got them even quicker after I got mine. I did collect it in person once it was done.
whistleboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistleboy »

[Does Sam M make prattens? I've heard only of rudall-style flutes so far.]

Hi Jim,

About 8 months ago I contacted Emer Mayock regarding what type of flute she was playing on a certain tune (I don't remember which one at the moment but I think it was on her "Playground" album) I liked the power and the "Honk" she was getting out of the flute she was playing. She wrote me back and indicated that she was playing a Sam Murray. So at that point I contacted Sam regarding his different models. He indicated that he doesn't make a Pratten flute, only a Rudall style.

The tag of a "Beast" may be accurate in the right hands.

All the best,
-Clay
Here's to our wives and girlfriends: May they never meet!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

WOOF!

Hi, Clay!Thanks for the info.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"You should perhaps attempt to make a keyed flute sometime, only then, I think, will you appreciate the value." Loren

I can appreciate the work and experience that goes into making a good flute without attemping to make one myself.

"I reckon you have a keyless Wilkes, Steampacket, how much do you think you 'd have to pay for a Wilkes 4-key?" Pbr.

I don't know, probably a lot of money plus a long, long, wait.

"i'm going to have a new boxwood 6 key for 1725 Euro." Claudine.

Well that sounds like an even better price than 1700 euros for a 4 key. Was that the price quoted in august 2007 or the price you'll pay upon collection? Boxwood is nice. A flute player over here in Copenhagen ordered a boxwood 6 key from Sam I remember
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Steampacket wrote:"You should perhaps attempt to make a keyed flute sometime, only then, I think, will you appreciate the value." Loren

I can appreciate the work and experience that goes into making a good flute without attemping to make one myself.

No offense intended, but I think this is not the case, particularly if keyed flute pricing relative to keyless seems high to you.

I think it's not possible for anyone to truly appreciate a thing unless they have tried it themselves. Goes for anything I can think of really.

Loren
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"No offense intended, but I think this is not the case, particularly if keyed flute pricing relative to keyless seems high to you.
I think it's not possible for anyone to truly appreciate a thing unless they have tried it themselves. Goes for anything I can think of really"
Loren

None taken. However you are wrong. It is indeed possible to "truly appreciate a thing" without having tried it themselves (I'm assuming you mean by trying, having a go at creating something). It is possible to truly appreciate for example a fine flute by comparing it to other flutes as regards craftmansship, attention to detail, sound, response, tone, etc.

Goes for anything really: a fine painting, a BMW M3 motor, a good cheese, a Japanese katana from the late 1700's, a great novel or a great film, an apple that tastes good, a beautiful woman, the list is endless. By the way I have posted earlier in this thread that I have been convinced that 1700 euros is indeed a fair price - if you feel the need for keys.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Last May, I ordered a keyless boxwood from Sam. I believe he said the wait would be about 7 months for boxwood, 4 months for blackwood. I received it in late November, I believe--a bit early. Boxwood being tempermental, it had a tuning issue which he resolved after I sent it back to be fixed. That took about 3 1/2 additional months. It plays great now. I love boxwood, but if I had it to do over again, I might order blackwood because of its greater stability. But I LOVE the lightness of boxwood and its tonal capabilities.

Jeanie
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Steampacket wrote: None taken. However you are wrong. It is indeed possible to "truly appreciate a thing" without having tried it themselves (I'm assuming you mean by trying, having a go at creating something). It is possible to truly appreciate for example a fine flute by comparing it to other flutes as regards craftmansship, attention to detail, sound, response, tone, etc.

Goes for anything really: a fine painting......

Not worth arguing with you, so I'll relate this well known story about Pablo Picasso:

Picasso is sitting at a sidewalk cafe in France sketching some years after becoming famous. A woman walking by recognizes him, goes over and says something to the effect of:

"Mr. Picasso, I love your work, I'm a real art lover, would you be so kind as to draw my portrait, I'll gladly pay you."

Picasso agrees and after just a couple of minutes of drawing presents her with the portrait. She looks at it as gushes "Wonderful!! How much do I owe you?

Picasso says "5000 francs", which was a rather large sum of money at the time.

Taken aback she says, "5000 francs?!? but it only took you a few moments to draw!"

To which Picasso replies "No madam, it took me a lifetime."

Loren
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Loren wrote:[ I'll relate this well known story about Pablo Picasso:

Picasso is sitting at a sidewalk cafe in France sketching some years after becoming famous. A woman walking by recognizes him, goes over and says something to the effect of:

"Mr. Picasso, I love your work, I'm a real art lover, would you be so kind as to draw my portrait, I'll gladly pay you."

Picasso agrees and after just a couple of minutes of drawing presents her with the portrait. She looks at it as gushes "Wonderful!! How much do I owe you?

Picasso says "5000 francs", which was a rather large sum of money at the time.

Taken aback she says, "5000 francs?!? but it only took you a few moments to draw!"

To which Picasso replies "No madam, it took me a lifetime."

Loren
So, did he get the dough?

When re-positioning and pulling a calf I often do it quite quickly. The farmers are occasionally disappointed and wonder allowed if they should have been able to do it themself if it was that easy.

I reply "If I didn't make it look easy I wouldn't be worth the big bill I'm going to send you would I?". :lol:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
azw

Post by azw »

I agree to some degree with what Loren is saying, although I think it's overstated, perhaps due to justifiable pride... and a bit of frustration with all of us wannabees!

I spent years being an artist and later became a web developer/designer. It wasn't until late in the game that I realized that I have uncommon skills in creating user-friendly websites and in tweaking photos for optimal appearance.

Originally I thought that anyone could learn these skills, which is why I tried twice to teach friends how to create their a professional-looking website and how to optimize photos. It didn't work either time. This surprised me because I've been able to teach almost anyone to draw and paint realistically.

I've concluded that these tasks involve too many different skills and excessively detailed aesthetic awareness. Most people can't handle (or refuse to be bothered with) the numbing complexity involved in creating a professional website or in doing quality photo editing.

When I watched a friend make bagpipes over several days, I could see that making a woodwind instrument, keyed or not, is similarly complex. I was awed by his many skills and insights. But later when I tried to make my own practice chanter, I discovered that I had greatly underestimated the complexity. More awe!

Loren and Picasso are right in saying, "...It took me a lifetime" to be able to do what a craftsperson does. And craftsmanship of any kind requires obsessive attention to detail. It's impossible without that obsession. Very few people will be so obsessed, which is good for folks like Loren!

It's certainly possible to recognize the difficulty and complexity of something without having to try doing it, but trying it is revelatory.
Art Zoller Wagner
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

It's certainly possible to recognize the difficulty and complexity of something without having to try doing it, but trying it is revelatory.
Absolutely. I know that Steampacket, who's been at this game longer than most people on this forum, and who is a very good player of pipes and flute, appreciates the work and inspiration that goes into the instruments he plays.

Our ability to play the music allows us to appreciate the music on a deeper level than somebody who doesn't play. But that doesn't mean that Muggles have no appreciation of the music.

I don't make flutes, nor will I ever. But I have strong friendships, that go back many years, with some great makers. You can't say that because I don't make flutes, I can't appreciate the skill involved.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Not worth arguing with you, so I'll relate this well known story about Pablo Picasso:" Loren

Now you come across as being a pompous and overtly didactic person Loren, so let's just agree to disagree as regards the qualifications needed to "truly appreciate things". :boggle:

Do I have to relate the well known story of the two monks meeting a young woman and helping her across the stream? :)

Back to Sam Murray's flutes: I "truly appreciate" Big Davey alerting us to the presence of the Sam Murray documentary up on You Tube. I've watched the program a number of times now - great flutes and great music
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Good luck on the sale! Wish I could swing it -- if it was $1700 USD I'd be selling my truck or horse or something to get my hands on it.

I adore my keyed boxwood (the "SOB" I think Sam called it?) but there's something about the resonance of blackwood ... I'm also lucky to play a keyless blackwood Murray and it's absolutely brilliant -- lively and vibrant and just a joy to dig into. There's so much depth to that flute I can hardly stand it. Though Hoovorff's nice boxwood with its lovely sharp new blowhole cut (mine's kind of eroded and soft from all the hot air, :lol:), etc. is pretty darned lively too :-) -- and feels as light as my wee bamboo F!

I honestly don't know how Sam does it but I'm so glad he's doing it!

Nope, Murrays aren't Prattens but that's not what I'm after ... I'm after the Murray sound and "fun to playness," and they're plenty loud for me.

Again, good luck.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.