How to make anti-roll feature for keyless Delrin flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to make anti-roll feature for keyless Delrin flute?

Post by azw »

Does anyone have any ideas about how to build a Delrin keyless flute that won't roll off the table? I'd like to have one made with that feature. The flute will probably have metal rings. I'm hoping for an idea that would be fairly easy to implement.

I've considered the possibility of octagon metal rings, but you couldn't turn those on a lathe. I saw another post in which someone suggested having key posts built into the body (but without the keys). I think the Delrin will be turned, so I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

On the low tech side, I wonder if a couple of dots of Elmer's Glue would stick well enough to stop rolling? I'd think it'd be easily removable at a later date.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: How to make anti-roll feature for keyless Delrin flute?

Post by Denny »

azw wrote:Does anyone have any ideas about how to build a Delrin keyless flute that won't roll off the table?
:o just drill a hole in the table and pound a dowel in it....

or assuming a conical flute,
bigger hole!
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

How about a teardrop or pointy-shaped ring that would fit snugly around the metal part of the tuning slide? It could be just wide enough so's not to interfere with tuning, and removeable by separating the barrel from the headjoint?
Or put a bead on a hair elastic and wrap it round a few times.
Or an L-shaped or star-shaped dealie that sticks out of the crown, like where the cork adjuster might go?
I just use a rolling pin stand.
Mike
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

How about just getting the Eb key put on? At least it's good for keeping the flute on the table:)
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Along the same lines as Kevin's suggestion ... How about a snap-on thumb rest at the foot? Or just a little blob of Blue Tack. Something to break the circularity, and easily removable.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bang

Post by bang »

perhaps a cable tie:

snip the excess off and the knobby bit should prevent rolling.

enjoy! /dan
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I think having the Eb key (should be compulsory/standard anyway :D ) is the best suggestion so far, but the cable tie one is elegantly simple more secure than some of the others but unobtrusive if black to match the delrin and easily removable.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
david_h

Post by david_h »

I have a short length of thin black shock-cord knotted into a snug loop with a big knot. It happened to be on my desk while I was reading a post from another member about a flute cracked by rolling off the table. I took it as a sign ! At about that time someone else suggested an octagonal end cap.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Here's the best low-tech solution for keeping a Delrin keyless flute from rolling off the table. As an added bonus, it works for any keyless flute, not just those made of Delrin.

Order a pint of Guinness (if you want to remain true to the tradition) or another beverage of choice. Place it next to your flute on the downslope side of the table. For extra added security in the rare chance your session pub actually has stable or level tables (there must be a pub like that somewhere, although I haven't encountered it yet), order two pints and place one on either side of the flute to secure it from rolling.

On the rare chance that a waiter actually clears the empty glass from the table after you've downed the pint, order another one. In the interim while your next pint is being pulled, live dangerously. Your flute is Delrin, after all. If the session drags on and you find yourself having consumed too many pints, your Delrin flute makes a nice cane as you stagger out of the pub into the night.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I've found a 2 pound vise holds the flute to the table pretty securely, although I generally need to get to the session early to drill holes in the table and bolt down the vise :D
Actually, I've used a leather shoelace with a knot in it around the middle of the flute , it works well and kind of gives the Flute an earthy look... if you're into that sort of thing
BenS
G1

Post by G1 »

Umm... get a flute stand.

I carry one where ever I go. It gives me a safe place to park it, and allows the condensation to drip out while it's resting. A standard flute stand with the rubber sleeve removed from the wooden peg will generally fit a simple system flute.

OR you could super-glue a thumb rest from a bass clarinet to it... then it won't be going anywhere. :D
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

An end cap in the shape of a goat or ram's head.
The beard and horns will keep it from rolling off.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sheesh, you guys all do things the hard way.

Forget the Delrin and just buy a Boxwood flute: It'll be warped by the time it arrives, so no crazy anti-roll devices will be required. :wink:

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »