Sold--FS: Cochran "Hawkes"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Sold--FS: Cochran "Hawkes"

Post by Akiba »

Sold...

I am selling my Cochran "Hawkes" flute because I need to finance a Hammy I just acquired and can't afford to keep both flutes. I wish I could keep the Cochran--it is a great flute with a full-bodied loud tone that projects well in sessions. The low D honks with little effort; ornaments are crisp. It does not take much air to produce a good loud tone: probably the most efficient flute I've played in terms of air=>tone=>loudness. Jon cut a great embouchure for this flute; it makes all my other flutes sound great as well.

All the clips I have on my webpage are played on this flute:

http://www.geocities.com/jpollack2000/JasonClips.html

This is an early model flute that Jon C. made which he says is a hybrid between a Rudall and a Pratten. It has a Pratten bore (hence the volume) with the comfort and speed of having Rudall fingering. I had Jon make a slight modification to the flute to bring the tuning closer to equal temperament, e.g. brought the F# up in pitch and the A and B down a bit. He accomplished this by shortening the flute slightly between the left hand holes joint and the right hand holes joint. There are some scratches on the flute, but nothing major.

You can see a picture of the flute on Doc's sight from whom I bought the flute in January ("Jon Cornea Cochran Flutes - Rudall in Delrin" is how Doc labeled it; it looks just like the one labeled a Pratten as well), just click on this link:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite ... php?c1=171

$450 is the price + $10 insured shipping. You can see I paid $545 for it, and Jon's new flutes cost $520, so I think this is a fair deal.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks.

Jason
Last edited by Akiba on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
groxburgh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by groxburgh »

Hi Jason
What criteria did you use when deciding to keep the Hammy flute and sell the Cochran? ie. What do you like better about the one you're keeping.

Cheers
Graeme
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Yes, I agree with Graeme on this question. If you like it so much, why sell it for the Hammy? Although, I am a bit biased on this one. No one could take my Cochran away from me...unless, of course, it was Jon and he was putting keys on it :) I assume you've played the Hammy extensively as well.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

groxburgh wrote:Hi Jason
What criteria did you use when deciding to keep the Hammy flute and sell the Cochran? ie. What do you like better about the one you're keeping.

Cheers
Graeme
Answer: easier for me to play the Hammy in tune; and I can drive the Hammy harder while maintaining good tone and intonation. Of course, this is a very personal decision; another player could conclude the opposite.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:Yes, I agree with Graeme on this question. If you like it so much, why sell it for the Hammy? Although, I am a bit biased on this one. No one could take my Cochran away from me...unless, of course, it was Jon and he was putting keys on it :) I assume you've played the Hammy extensively as well.
Hi Michael,
how is the Oxford croud treating ya?
You have to understand, Michael the first one, brave enough to buy one of my wooden flutes, he owns the first one I made in wood. It is pictured in his avatar. And to think, he hasn't traded it in yet for another...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:You have to understand, Michael the first one, brave enough to buy one of my wooden flutes, he owns the first one I made in wood. It is pictured in his avatar. And to think, he hasn't traded it in yet for another...
Hey, are there numbers on this thing? Also, are you still working in Delrin?

Kevin Krell
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

kkrell wrote:
Jon C. wrote:You have to understand, Michael the first one, brave enough to buy one of my wooden flutes, he owns the first one I made in wood. It is pictured in his avatar. And to think, he hasn't traded it in yet for another...
Hey, are there numbers on this thing? Also, are you still working in Delrin?

Kevin Krell

Hey Jon, could you put some numbers on mine?

You see, I'd like that in 150 years it to be a good flute.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yeah, Jon, me too! I'd like a number on my flute also. In fact... :wink:
~~~~
Barry
daiv

Post by daiv »

i dont think you should put any numbers on anyone's flutes, jon. i think you should wait til i finally shell out the money, and then make my flute number 0001.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

daiv wrote:i dont think you should put any numbers on anyone's flutes, jon. i think you should wait til i finally shell out the money, and then make my flute number 0001.
Sorry, I beat you to it with the Cochran 001 inscription. It didn't have it on originally, but I had the forethought to know it would be good to have and that one day many more people would know how good a smithy Jon is. So, he put it on for me before I left.

Someone else on the board played it while it was being inscribed in Jon's shop, but I can't remember who. All I remember is that Jon told me they loved it because they could really push it...which I must agree with.

As for the Oxford crowd...its been great. Playing a bunch at the Half Moon and the Oxford Folk Festival was several weeks ago so we had some really good sessions all weekend long. I played with about 8-9 other people including several accordions and fiddle players and I could still lead the session well. Jon puts a lot of bang into his flutes...especially for the buck.

Isn't it about time I hassle you again to keep working on keys? I'm somewhere at the top of the list right?...I've been waiting a while for them.
bang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bang »

michael_coleman wrote:Sorry, I beat you to it with the Cochran 001 inscription. It didn't have it on originally, but I had the forethought to know it would be good to have and that one day many more people would know how good a smithy Jon is. So, he put it on for me before I left.[...]
Isn't it about time I hassle you again to keep working on keys? I'm somewhere at the top of the list right?...I've been waiting a while for them.
well! if *that's* the way it works:

Jon, while you're sprucing it up (you *are* sprucing it up, yes? :^), please inscribe my first ever, prototype delrin "Rudall 5500" model with serial number "Zero". :^) :^) :^) it would make me *very* proud!

oh, and for record, i hope i'm also high on the keys list. :^)

aren't we all so... what's the word??? brazen? shameless? hopeless?

enjoy! /dan
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

bang wrote:
michael_coleman wrote:Sorry, I beat you to it with the Cochran 001 inscription. It didn't have it on originally, but I had the forethought to know it would be good to have and that one day many more people would know how good a smithy Jon is. So, he put it on for me before I left.[...]
well! if *that's* the way it works:

Jon, while you're sprucing it up (you *are* sprucing it up, yes? :^), please inscribe my first ever, prototype delrin "Rudall 5500" model with serial number "Zero". :^) :^) :^) it would make me *very* proud!

oh, and for record, i hope i'm also high on the keys list. :^)

aren't we all so... what's the word??? brazen? shameless? hopeless?

enjoy! /dan
Yes, just about finished. I did say that Michael has the first "wood flute, but Dan has the first delrin flute, really the very first. I turned the reamers and made his flute the same weekend, I used to have that kind of energy... So I will call it the first ever! been busy with fire watch out here in California, hills were a-fire. I think yours and Michael's are the best flutes I made. :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:
daiv wrote:i dont think you should put any numbers on anyone's flutes, jon. i think you should wait til i finally shell out the money, and then make my flute number 0001.
Sorry, I beat you to it with the Cochran 001 inscription. It didn't have it on originally, but I had the forethought to know it would be good to have and that one day many more people would know how good a smithy Jon is. So, he put it on for me before I left.

Someone else on the board played it while it was being inscribed in Jon's shop, but I can't remember who. All I remember is that Jon told me they loved it because they could really push it...which I must agree with.

As for the Oxford crowd...its been great. Playing a bunch at the Half Moon and the Oxford Folk Festival was several weeks ago so we had some really good sessions all weekend long. I played with about 8-9 other people including several accordions and fiddle players and I could still lead the session well. Jon puts a lot of bang into his flutes...especially for the buck.

I took your flute around to a couple of makers, Casey Burns and
Peter Noy, I think they liked it, though, Peter looked a little worried at the time. I must say, I had more fun visiting Casey, he is a great guy to visit if you happen to be in the neighborhood. I called him from the Ferry, and he still let me come over. :oops:
Annvil has played your flute, when it was in the shop.
Keys... All those pesky springs and things.
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon, I suggest you defy convention and start numbering your flutes randomly.

Kevin Krell
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:Jon, I suggest you defy convention and start numbering your flutes randomly.

Kevin Krell
I think you are right, which number do you want? :D
I have no idea how many flutes I have made, all I can say is it is from a few, to lots...
I still work in Delrin.
Michael Flatley

Jon