Reel Time Tuning Analysis Launched!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

If I understand this right, I open X11 and open a terminal window and type R.

Then what?
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

So, I think I've got Polygraph.r and Polygraph.bat and rtest.txt in my home folder. So, then I open a terminal in X11? Then what?

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

brotherwind wrote:cool, that works!
Thanks a lot. I got my first analysis.

Still I remember having installed x11.

So I looked for it and started a terminal window out of it and bingo. This time it works either way, pdf and even jpeg.

Seems like x11 must be active to get it right.

Cheers and thanks again for helping!!
Great thread anyways,

Moritz
Moritz, would you explain in more detail what you did. I'm working with OS 10.4.11. I seem to be getting the same results that you got when you first tried using terminal (zero K jpg). When I open terminal in X11 and type R --no-save <Polygraph.r I get
Error: object "R" not found.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

mahanpots wrote:
brotherwind wrote:cool, that works!
Thanks a lot. I got my first analysis.

Still I remember having installed x11.

So I looked for it and started a terminal window out of it and bingo. This time it works either way, pdf and even jpeg.

Seems like x11 must be active to get it right.

Cheers and thanks again for helping!!
Great thread anyways,

Moritz
Moritz, would you explain in more detail what you did. I'm working with OS 10.4.11. I seem to be getting the same results that you got when you first tried using terminal (zero K jpg). When I open terminal in X11 and type R --no-save <Polygraph.r I get
Error: object "R" not found.

Michael
Hi Michael,
first make sure to have Polygraph.r and rtest.txt in your root directory. This is the directory below desktop when you open up a new finder window. It contains folders like pictures, music, public, library etc.

Second you have to execute the command:"sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/R /usr/local/bin/R" (without parentheses) within a terminal window. You will be prompted for your password to get it done. I didn't have to do it more than once.

Third you open a x11 terminal window. I just type x11 into spotlight and hit the x11 which appears.

Now you can type "R --no-save <Polygraph.r" (again omitting parentheses , but including the spaces). x11 does not allow you to simply copy and past the command. At least in my case.
When you hit enter, it executes the script and the respective picture appears in the directory where Polygraph.r and rtest.txt reside.

Well that's for the jpeg. Sponge showed above how to change one line of Polygraph.r to obtain a pdf instead of a jpeg.

Cheers,
Moritz
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Thanks Moritz. I got it working before your reply. Now, to see if I can use it to help with intonation....

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

mahanpots wrote:Thanks Moritz. I got it working before your reply. Now, to see if I can use it to help with intonation....

Michael
Great!

Now we have total control about the tuning. At least we can measure it.
Still, we don't have a clearly visible standard. Or do we have one already and I being unaware of it?
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

brotherwind wrote:
mahanpots wrote:Thanks Moritz. I got it working before your reply. Now, to see if I can use it to help with intonation....

Michael
Great!

Now we have total control about the tuning. At least we can measure it.
Still, we don't have a clearly visible standard. Or do we have one already and I being unaware of it?
By a standard, do you mean a graph that we would try to match in order to come closer to "perfect intonation." I'm sure this has been discussed in the other thread, but I didn't keep up with discussion there.
It'll be interesting to see how flute players use it...if they do.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

Terry's put up a plot of someone playing Irish box. And we'll get one up of pipes and fiddle soon.
There's a fiddle here (foot of page)
http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/infosci ... eeswax.htm
Goes a bit sharp on the top notes - maybe due to playing with a flute that did the same too much.

Do you want to rewrite the instructions for running on MacOS for me, so we can make the webpage on setup clearer?

Cheers
Graeme
highwood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

On my Mac X11 starts automatically as needed, hence I did not add to the instructions.

I have automated the whole process with ... Automator ...
One of the choices is 'Run Shell Script' so you can use this to create something similar to Graeme's polygraph.bat

I have gone a step further and have it save the rtest.txt in Tartini, analyze it and then rename and save all the results to a folder of my choice.

I won't post the details here - I suspect that the interaction with Tartini depends on the machine set up and other details depend on the naming of folders etc. But wanted to point people in a direction if they interested. pm me if you want more details.

Now I can record and launch an 'application' and then continue playing while the computer saves files does an analysis saves the results and displays them.

Bill
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

For you Mac users out there, trying this:

I'm trying to get this set up on a new [to me] Mac. What do you use for a microphone? I've never done any of this type of stuff on a Mac, and on my Windows laptop, I've always just used the onboard built-in [noisy] mic.

I'm looking for recording-quality, but don't want to break the bank either.
Suggestions?

Thanks.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

ugh it works only with .wav files, that's boring i'll have to convert an mp3 into wave all the times... :sniffle:
or maybe it's time to buy a microphone... :D
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Indeed. Now remember any old microphone will work for pitch analysis. Of course you may want a better microphone for other purposes. But for pitch analysis, you can try a headphone, or an unpowered loudspeaker. Just plug into the mic socket on your sound card and it will probably be fine. You'll soon know.

Terry
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Thanks Terry. actually the headphone that i use on my computer already has a microphone, but i never used it. I've just learnt how to, and now i've been recording like a mad, while checking the pitch graphic with R, and is just great! it's very easy to use and gives you lots of deadly useful informations!

i discovered that i can play the flute quite well in tune with itself, but the C# is complitely off, more than i expected. I'll have to work on it. Also, when i tune my flute with a tuner, i discovered that when i play the pitch is very different from what i saw on the tuner, if i don't push the tone i tend to go flat.

Cool stuff, and thanks for the great work Terry and Graeme! :thumbsup: